Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class for a couple on 763

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Go LAX-SFO-FRA-FCO -- extra stop but on SFO-FRA UA uses 747 which has better couples sitting in F (row 3/4) or the UD.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
You will NOT get LH or LX First. So, Fly UA First from LAX to Frankfurt (or London if necessary) and then switch to LH in Europe. Best would be LAX to Frankfurt on UA.
UA 900 SFO-FRA operates with a 744... GlobalFirst is in the nose section, and I believe 3C/3H (along with 4C/4H) are relatively close together and face each other.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
....... Best would be LAX to Frankfurt on UA.
Is there a non-stop LAX-FRA on UA metal?
The only one I see is with LH.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
While I agree that LH first is light years ahead of United (especially on the 747 new cabins), it is no better "for couples" if your goal is to sit close together.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
UA 900 SFO-FRA operates with a 744... GlobalFirst is in the nose section, and I believe 3C/3H (along with 4C/4H) are relatively close together and face each other.
I didnt even know UA flew to SFO-FRA. I assumed that route was only on LH, thank you. LHR is another option but that would mean another 2.5 hour flight to FCO which I'm definitely not crazy about.
I understand that most first class cabin are not a "couple's" experience, I am not necessarily looking for that. For a 10 hour flight however, I would like to be able to talk to my wife while sitting down, and it doesn't seem like I could do that on IAD-FCO on a 763. Surprisingly, I was barely able to find any photos/videos of first class on UA 763's to most anywhere, none where you can get a clear look of the cabin and see the layout.

Originally Posted by keisari
Is there a non-stop LAX-FRA on UA metal?
The only one I see is with LH.
None that I can find...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2013 at 9:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I did FCO-IAD in UA F on with 763 with my mom a couple months ago (her retirement present). We did the A-middle(D? E?) pairing in row 2. We had to lean forward to talk across the left aisle, but it was possible, and private enough. The orientation of the suites doesn't allow talking across the right aisle.

We did the outbound on LH, in new F on the 330s flying IAD-MUC. The middle pair was great, as we could talk easily over the wall, and raise the screen when it was time for sleeping. Service, food and beverage were in another league. LAX-FRA might be a tough award in F, but SEA-FRA is a relatively easy one (at ~10-14 days out; book what you can now, and plan to pay the change fee to get LH...worth every penny).

A couple things: UA F FCO-IAD was never available; I only got it because UA screwed up rebooking a confirmed FCO-FRA(LH)-IAD(UA) to FCO-FRA-EWR (love ya, SHARES), and they forced O class on FCO-IAD because they had messed up the confirmed trip. Also, if ground handling is part of what you consider to be the F experience, the "high security" terminal at FCO (for US and Israel-bound direct flights) ranks below several airports I've used in developing Africa: there is nothing F about it. I would recommend connecting in Europe, especially FRA, on the return.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bruinfever
......... Surprisingly, I was barely able to find any photos/videos of first class on UA 763's to most anywhere, none where you can get a clear look of the cabin and see the layout.
A couple of reviews but the pictures are not great; maybe this will help you to visualize;

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...l-first-class/

http://upgrd.com/matthew/washington-...rst-class.html

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._767-300_B.php
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aacharya
Then book UA now, and keep looking (subscribe to EF) for LH F. You'll pay $75 per person to change airlines, but worth it.
+1

You will NOT get LH or LX First. So, Fly UA First from LAX to Frankfurt (or London if necessary) and then switch to LH in Europe. Best would be LAX to Frankfurt on UA.
Nonsense. LH will open two seats at between T-14 and T-7 from some UA gateway. The switch to the LH flights even if you have to buy a domestic connecting flight.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by bruinfever
My first post on the FT forums and I want to thank anyone in advance for their help.
I am planning on flying this summer to Rome on a 2nd honeymoon with my wife and I have some UA miles to burn and I was hoping to get some advice. Unfortunately, UA doesn't have any direct flights to FCO from anywhere outside of IAD. Which means that I would need to fly into IAD from LAX and then IAD-FCO. I really want to fly ONLY first class to have the best experience but unfortunately the first class suites on 763 seem to be 1-1-1, which means that if you're flying as a couple you can't sit together. Not much of an "experience" we can experience together!
My question is has anyone flown in this configuration with someone else? Are the seats far apart or is it possible to enjoy them when flying with someone else? Would I be better served flying business so we can sit together?
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
We flew back from Istanbul last April thru FRA and then to SEA in LH F. What a great experience!!! I have found there is often better availability in LH F from SEA than from LAX or SFO...so you might try that routing.
SEA-FRA-FCO
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Has your wife ever flow in business before? If not then you might get what you are looking for by flying UA in business LAX-IAD-FCO.

My fiance and I did a similar trip to Europe last year and she really enjoyed the pmUA 767 in business. The seats are great for talking and there is really no comparison in food and service to Y. She had done a fare amount of domestic travel on various carriers in Y, and was blown away by the experience flying in C since it was her first time.

On the way back she was all over finding the expedited security and immigration for business and first. Then once we got in the terminal she wasted no time in finding the *A lounge (we where at LHR).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 2:39 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
I would also recommend trying to get on a non-stop from LAX or SFO to Europe and then making the connection there. Although it is a long flight, the experience is much, much better in international business or first vs domestic first. Think about this, on the way home you'll have 8-9 hours in relative comfort, then have another 5-6 hours to go when you're already tired and would really appreciate the lie flat seats.

If you can get seats upstairs on the 747 (business class) that is a pretty good experience. It isn't "first" class, but it is quiet, private, relatively attentive service and you can sit together.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 3:02 pm

Most times I think my wife talks too much. Plenty of time for talking in Rome. Ha!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
Most times I think my wife talks too much. Plenty of time for talking in Rome. Ha!
Wow, keep making comments like that and soon you won't have a wife jk
Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Something to look at, LAX-LHR on Air New Zealand, then LHR-FCO

Listen to SFO777 the man knows what he is talking about. Book a UA flights in FC, but continue to check on line with UA and LH will release tickets LAX-MUC-FCO this is a much nicer ride then what UA will give you!!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: DL MM/FC/FO; UA PS; AA GLD
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1Nonsense. LH will open two seats at between T-14 and T-7 from some UA gateway. The switch to the LH flights even if you have to buy a domestic connecting flight.
This is certainly what I would do. I've had some nice experience over the years in TATL F on various airlines, but LH last summer blew me away. Hard and soft product were great. My routing was IAD/MUC/FRA/IAD. The snap and polish, yet still friendly, service was amazing. Each one of the FAs could have modeled for an LH add--not so much because of physical beauty, they were just so perfectly put together. So many FAs on our own airlines look like they just rolled out of bed.

If I were a couple on a special trip, I would do what I could to fly LH out of FRA to have the FC terminal experience. My only regret was not having an s.o. or friend to share the experience with. However, as much as I enjoyed the 748, I will never go through customs at IAD again by choice. What an embarrassment for our nation's capital.

On the way over, at the end of July, I was the only passenger in F, and returning, there were only four of us. Both F cabins had eight FC seats. I would think you would not have any problem finding seats in F two weeks out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.