Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class for a couple on 763

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

First Class for a couple on 763

My first post on the FT forums and I want to thank anyone in advance for their help.
I am planning on flying this summer to Rome on a 2nd honeymoon with my wife and I have some UA miles to burn and I was hoping to get some advice. Unfortunately, UA doesn't have any direct flights to FCO from anywhere outside of IAD. Which means that I would need to fly into IAD from LAX and then IAD-FCO. I really want to fly ONLY first class to have the best experience but unfortunately the first class suites on 763 seem to be 1-1-1, which means that if you're flying as a couple you can't sit together. Not much of an "experience" we can experience together!
My question is has anyone flown in this configuration with someone else? Are the seats far apart or is it possible to enjoy them when flying with someone else? Would I be better served flying business so we can sit together?
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
For a true first class experience, forget UA and use your miles on a partner. I think most people here would recommend, if you can find availability (which for this summer for 2 people will not be easy), on Lufthansa. Flying First LAX-FRA-FCO will get you into the First Class Transfer terminal in Frankfurt which will likely be a highlight of the trip.

Swiss LAX-ZRH-FCO could be another alternative.

Finally, Turkish LAX-IST-FCO would be yet another possible routing.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
I also would ditch UA.

First choice would be LH thru FRA or MUC, then try LX thru ZHR.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noah
For a true first class experience, forget UA and use your miles on a partner. I think most people here would recommend, if you can find availability (which for this summer for 2 people will not be easy), on Lufthansa. Flying First LAX-FRA-FCO will get you into the First Class Transfer terminal in Frankfurt which will likely be a highlight of the trip.

Swiss LAX-ZRH-FCO could be another alternative.

Noah, I agree with you 100% but unfortunately LH or LX make no first class availability until a few days before the flight, and its sketchy at best. I need to be able to plan ahead. I'll be leaving four kids at home and can't fly spontaneously.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Great theorizing...but TK doesn't have F and LX doesn't release F to partners. So, best case scenario is LH F. Which, at best, would be released 48 hours before, but more likely not to be released at all on the LAX-FRA route.

So back to the IAD-FCO....no, it's not great for couples, but the idea of First Class isn't an experience for couples, it's service and privacy. Yeah, there are a couple of airlines that have good F class options (SQ Suites comes to mind), but I'd say the majority nowadays are not good if the "couple" aspect of it is important to you. So decide between sitting together in Business or slightly apart in first (for the record, across the aisle isn't a huge deal in UA F, but you need to get the right seats together).

But this is all assuming you manage to find availability.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by noah
I agree that European airlines would probably offer a better experience, but this LAX-IST-FCO will be brutal. LAX-IST is close to 14 hrs and the return is 15.5 hrs.

IMHO, you are better off connecting to FRA and flying LH
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
I agree that European airlines would probably offer a better experience, but this LAX-IST-FCO will be brutal. LAX-IST is close to 14 hrs and the return is 15.5 hrs.
I'd rather fly LAX-IST-FCO in TK C than LAX-IAD in UA Domestic F and IAD-FCO in UA F but thats just me. It could also be that I love the lounge at IST.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I would strongly recommend doing the TATL section nonstop from LAX and then doing a short hop within Europe. Domestic F transcons will be truly horrible compared with even Business TATL. Also I recommend as late a departure from LAX as possible to minimise jetlag.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bruinfever
Noah, I agree with you 100% but unfortunately LH or LX make no first class availability until a few days before the flight, and its sketchy at best. I need to be able to plan ahead. I'll be leaving four kids at home and can't fly spontaneously.
Then book UA now, and keep looking (subscribe to EF) for LH F. You'll pay $75 per person to change airlines, but worth it.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
To actually answer the OP's question: the best feature about the UA first suites are their privacy (which is why I like them) and aren't the best for couples. However you will be able to see each other better if you pick seats A/C versus C/K.
You might want to do a search on airliners.net or google for some cabin shots of this plane so you can get a sense of how the seats are spaced and arranged.

The difference in service between first and business on United is not that great - the big advantage of the first suites, as I said, is the privacy, plus additional room and storage space. If you really want to be close during the flight (i.e. holding hands as the plane takes off), then book two adjoining seats in business class.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, AA Lifetime Plat, SPG Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United Plat
Just flew in biz with my sigO past weekend ORD-LHR and back. They seats are very close to one another - in fact a bit too narrow if you ask me. So you'll definitely get to be next to one another, enjoy dinner together, watch a movie etc. I also concur with above but if you have no other choice then its not bad at all - still better than coach!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I agree with rittenhousesq: C/K will not work at all -there will be a wall between you and your spouse. A/C will work poorly. Business Class will work far better for you. You will, however, miss the soup and the tater tots.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
LH, LX, TK and the rest of the alphabet sounds great but when you are limited in dates, you have to go with what is safe, UA.

1. Would consider Business class; I think if you don't fly business regularly, it is pretty special; comfy chairs, nice drinks and fairly decent meal; service is hit or miss but that is the case with first class UA. If that is the case then you can do the LAX-IAD-FCO route.

2. May I suggest LAX-SFO- enjoy the first class lounge-FRA in first class and then connect via LH business to FCO. I find connecting in FRA is not bad even though it may not be the most friendly airport. SFO first class lounge is one of the best UA has to offer and FRA has very nice lounges for business class travelers. If you want, spend a day in FRA, take a walking tour of the city and get back to catch an afternoon connection to FCO (if possible)
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
You will NOT get LH or LX First. So, Fly UA First from LAX to Frankfurt (or London if necessary) and then switch to LH in Europe. Best would be LAX to Frankfurt on UA.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I would suggest doing LAX-LHR on UA metal and then connect on to FCO from there. This way you can do GF on a 777 and have 2 center seats together. Also, that route seems to have more availability but, you are talking summer time travel without booking yet, so not great odds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.