Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booking question: Fare buckets are available, but cannot book into them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador

Many thanks for your help in advance!

I am trying to book a HNL-DEN-PHX-DEN-HNL ticket. There is a pretty good G fare (GES01FS) being sold at the moment. I am trying to book this on the 04/19/2013 on the outbound and 04/21/2013 on the return. The fare allows one day turnarounds and is valid on my travel dates.

I can clearly see on Expertflyer that the 777 on HNL-DEN (UA383) has plenty of G bucket availability: ...W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N0 and so does the connecting flight from DEN to PHX (UA739). The same goes for the return.

However, when I try to book this on .bomb, the system books me in M on UA383 and T on UA739, even though G is available. On the return, it books me into G without a problem.

Does anybody know why I cannot access the G bucket on the outbound flight? This fare has a 0.042cpm btw in case anyone else is interested!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Gosh, are you sure that G fare is valid on HNL-DEN-PHX on 4/19? When I use matrix.itasoftware.com and untick the "only show flights with available seats" option, the lowest fare I get is a T fare on the outbound and a G fare on the return.

In particular when I specify /f bc=g, it doesn't give me any UA options. When I try to manually force it with

I get "no flights found".

(But note that I can force the return
To:: PHX /f ua.phx+hnl.ges01fs
and it shows me these options.)
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Gosh, are you sure that G fare is valid on HNL-DEN-PHX on 4/19? When I use matrix.itasoftware.com and untick the "only show flights with available seats" option, the lowest fare I get is a T fare on the outbound and a G fare on the return.

In particular when I specify /f bc=g, it doesn't give me any UA options. When I try to manually force it with

I get "no flights found".

(But note that I can force the return
To:: PHX /f ua.phx+hnl.ges01fs
and it shows me these options.)
Ah - okay. I can see what is going on here. The G fare appears to be valid on Mon-Thurs and then there is a separate G fare for Sun. I guess Fri/Sat books into T then. But that still does not explain why .bomb keeps booking me into M on the 19th April when T is available.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Ah - okay. I can see what is going on here. The G fare appears to be valid on Mon-Thurs and then there is a separate G fare for Sun. I guess Fri/Sat books into T then. But that still does not explain why .bomb keeps booking me into M on the 19th April when T is available.
What's the fare basis code of the T fare you're looking at? I don't think ITA can find a valid T fare on that day for DEN-PHX either.

When I do an ITA search for

4/19 from hnl:: ua+
4/21 to PHX / f ua.phx+hnl.ges01fs

I don't see anything affordable price through DEN, but I do see the horrifying/amazing option HNL-SFO-SMF-LAX-PHX on the outbound (prices as HNL-SAC in K + SAC-PHX in G).

The cheapest fare solution I see through DEN involves separate fares HNL-DEN (books into M, as you mention) then DEN-PHX (G).

I think there's a fare issue here, not an availability issue. Repeating the same search but with "show all flights and prices without checking seat availability" doesn't find anything cheaper than $1300 involving HNL-DEN-PHX on the outbound.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

What's the fare basis code of the T fare you're looking at? I don't think ITA can find a valid T fare on that day for DEN-PHX either.

I don't see anything affordable price through DEN, but I do see the horrifying/amazing option HNL-SFO-SMF-LAX-PHX on the outbound (prices as HNL-SAC in K + SAC-PHX in G).

The cheapest fare solution I see through DEN involves separate fares HNL-DEN (books into M, as you mention) then DEN-PHX (G).

I think there's a fare issue here, not an availability issue. Repeating the same search but with "show all flights and prices without checking seat availability" doesn't find anything cheaper than $1300 involving HNL-DEN-PHX on the outbound.
I was looking at TLE0UN, but I just realised that this requires a non-stop flight. So I guess you cannot route through DEN on a Fri and Sat without forcing out an M fare on the overwater segment. Thanks for talking this through though mherdeg - would not have realised what was going on here without your questions/help!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

There's a $540 all in T out, G back, if you just force the DEN connect:

4/19 HNL :: UA DEN UA
4/21 PHX :: UA DEN UA

I can validate $559 on Orbitz, so might be something the OP can LFG if they want.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa

I can validate $559 on Orbitz, so might be something the OP can LFG if they want.
Perhaps it was just .bomb playing up again. Maybe it would have repriced this correctly if I had tried to pay. Stupid UA website!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Perhaps it was just .bomb playing up again. Maybe it would have repriced this correctly if I had tried to pay. Stupid UA website!
Yeah, so invoke the LFG on them and make them pay.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:40 pm

Whoa that wasn't there before. I agree that I see $540.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, so invoke the LFG on them and make them pay.
Hahaha... I think I will book a day earlier on the 18th April and take the USD337 RT G fare. A little better value for money and my plans are flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.