Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CPU optimization out of IAD an DCA w/flexible sched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA G, Eurobonus S, Marco Polo, AmtrakSelect+

Sorry if this thread exists somewhere - im new and ive not mastered the search feature somehow.

Anyway, Im flying a ton this year and will hit 100k miles with UA in July. This is my first time being airline faithful and im trying to figure out how to organize my travel around upgrades. I have total control over my business travel schedule and id like to maximize my upgrades flying out of IAD, DCA or BWI (Washington DC) Whats the best airport and flying times (both weekly and time of day) to use to do this as I rise from Gold to 1k over the next few months. Typical destinations include JFK, SFO, LAX, ANC, and DUB.

Secondary question, if i can really flex plan out an international trip to Dubai and research the fare classes is an upgrade out to Dubai as a 1k literally NEVER going to happen?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
As a regular Capital Region flyer, here's my formula:

1) Regardless of airport, avoid peak travel times: Mon AM, Th PM, Fri PM, Sun PM. (True for CPUs almost anywhere.)
2) Fly during non-peak times for highest CPU chances: Sat PM, Mon PM, Tues, Wed
3) I generally have better luck at DCA than IAD. Even better luck at BWI of you really want to trek there. DCA has fewer connecting paid intl F pax than IAD. Although, peak DCA-IAH ("Exxon Lobby Express" flights as I like to call them) have lots of paid F.
4) Avoid IAD transcons at all costs. I only upgrade SFO and LAX with RPUs, and that's even hard!
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA G, Eurobonus S, Marco Polo, AmtrakSelect+
This is exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.