Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dumping UA - seeking help with using vouchers and all miles for one final trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:25 am
Original Poster

xxxxx

Last edited by BRLAhere; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:21 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to posting, although sorry it's under unpleasant circumstances. I'm going to move your post to the United forum.

l'etoile
sr. moderator
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BRLAhere
Although a member with FT for 4-years, this is my first attempt to use services & advice here. Knowing me, I'm probably in the wrong category here on the forum, so it would be appreciated to send my thread to the appropriate place.

I have had my last dealing with United. My wife and I gave up our SFO to GDL seats for a 1st class upgrade the following night (in addition for $400 travel vouchers each & motel for the night). No motels were available so we were stranded in the SFO terminal for 24-hours. Then we found out at the midnight flight to Guadalajara the following night we had no confirmed reservations, even though we held printed 1st class boarding passes. In my 66-years, I have never been treated with such disrespect and phoney "I'm so sorry" BS.

I wrote Martin Hand, UA's Senior VP for Customer Experience. He never even acknowledged my email.

Today I am cancelling my 13-year Chase credit card with UA's name on it (it was Continental for all those years). I charged 25K on that card just in 2012 and I don't even live in the U.S (and I never use it it Mexico). My wife and I ended up with $600 each UA travel vouchers (with restrictions) and I have an accumulated 110,000 air miles. I am seeking assistance on how to use this voucher money and travel miles in one pop for my wife and I to take one trip flying 1st class RT from Guadalajara to anywhere on UA (or lose it all this year). I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, but I'm not sure how to go about this because I simply don't understand all the ways this can be done.

Anybody know anybody that can help me figure this out?

Thanks!
Your vouchers are probably good only within North America. If so, you want to get UA to give you system wide vouchers. Also, since vouchers cannot be combined on one ticket, see if they will exchange them for a single $1200 voucher.

With that in hand, look for a TATL (reports are that UA is selling these for under $3K round trip) that has award inventory for business class. Burn your miles for a business class ticket and the voucher toward a paid business class ticket. You will have few miles left. You might be able to burn them on a rental card or hotel in the USA if you add a stopover.

If UA won't work you on the vouchers, then you will have to book four one way trips to the USA all in first class. Two of these use each voucher. The other two use up your miles. That will leave you with 60k miles that you can use for hotels and car rentals.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:11 am

Although a member with FT for 4-years, this is my first attempt to use services & advice here. Knowing me, I'm probably in the wrong category here on the forum, so it would be appreciated to send my thread to the appropriate place.

I have had my last dealing with United. My wife and I gave up our SFO to GDL seats for a 1st class upgrade the following night (in addition for $400 travel vouchers each & motel for the night). No motels were available so we were stranded in the SFO terminal for 24-hours. Then we found out at the midnight flight to Guadalajara the following night we had no confirmed reservations, even though we held printed 1st class boarding passes. In my 66-years, I have never been treated with such disrespect and phoney "I'm so sorry" BS.

I wrote Martin Hand, UA's Senior VP for Customer Experience. He never even acknowledged my email.

Today I am cancelling my 13-year Chase credit card with UA's name on it (it was Continental for all those years). I charged 25K on that card just in 2012 and I don't even live in the U.S (and I never use it it Mexico). My wife and I ended up with $600 each UA travel vouchers (with restrictions) and I have an accumulated 110,000 air miles. I am seeking assistance on how to use this voucher money and travel miles in one pop for my wife and I to take one trip flying 1st class RT from Guadalajara to anywhere on UA (or lose it all this year). I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, but I'm not sure how to go about this because I simply don't understand all the ways this can be done.

Anybody know anybody that can help me figure this out?
It's not clear to me - how many vouchers do you have? Most vouchers are not combinable with other vouchers. So, if you have more than one voucher (per person) then I think you'll have to take multiple flights to use them.

If you want to use the voucher and also the miles and get the best value, then, probably you want to buy the cheapest possible ticket and use your voucher to pay for it, then, use the miles to upgrade into F, using saver award availability.

I think that will get the best bang for the buck and achieve your two stated objectives of using the voucher and the miles on one trip.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
It's not clear to me - how many vouchers do you have? Most vouchers are not combinable with other vouchers. So, if you have more than one voucher (per person) then I think you'll have to take multiple flights to use them.

If you want to use the voucher and also the miles and get the best value, then, probably you want to buy the cheapest possible ticket and use your voucher to pay for it, then, use the miles to upgrade into F, using saver award availability.

I think that will get the best bang for the buck and achieve your two stated objectives of using the voucher and the miles on one trip.
If the OP uses miles to upgrade for an international flight, there will be a co-pay, particularly on a lower fare. Saver availability will not be a factor here - only ON for upgrades to GF or R to BF.

Also, some vouchers can be combined - IME, for the TCV vouchers with a PIN code, you can use one per pax on the itin. So if the OP is flying with wife, he could use 2 at once.

To the OP: did you try writing to anyone else before Mr. Hand. There is a chain to follow to file a complaint, and a Sr. VP should not be the first person to write to. If the CS process doesn't work, then yes, you can get to that level. But that shouldn't be your first point of contact, and if it was, you shouldn't be surprised about a non-response.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:08 pm

I'm trying to understand the sequence of events here. The OP and his wife accepted $400 in vouchers, hotel accomodations and confirmed 1st class seats the following day for a VDB in SFO.

The OP states all the motels were full and they spent the day in the terminal. How does this happen in a VDB situation? Shouldn't UA have accomodated them in even an off-airport hotel?

Then the following night it seems there were no first class seats so they received another $200 each in vouchers. Did the OP travel in economy class on that flight though? How does this happen if they held "printed 1st class boarding passes" or were they given something else? Was there a seat assignment on these boarding passes? Is this appropriate downgrade compensation?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I'm trying to understand the sequence of events here. The OP and his wife accepted $400 in vouchers, hotel accomodations and confirmed 1st class seats the following day for a VDB in SFO.

The OP states all the motels were full and they spent the day in the terminal. How does this happen in a VDB situation? Shouldn't UA have accomodated them in even an off-airport hotel?

Then the following night it seems there were no first class seats so they received another $200 each in vouchers. Did the OP travel in economy class on that flight though? How does this happen if they held "printed 1st class boarding passes" or were they given something else? Was there a seat assignment on these boarding passes? Is this appropriate downgrade compensation?
1. Right, I interpreted that each pax got 2 vouchers, for a total of 4. Hence, my earlier comment that I don't know if they can be combined. Maybe 1 per pax per ticket but likely not 2 per pax per ticket, at least all of mine (I have 3 now) are non-combinable.

2. You don't understand how this could happen? Read this thread, just the first message:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...4-new-low.html

The only reason I got anything done is because I was extremely aggressive and exceptionally knowledgeable and well prepared. Many FTers have criticized me for this. But, it is reasonable to assume that the first action taken by UA will not be helpful, in fact, might be abusive, and only those with the knowledge and willingness to fight have a chance of getting that to which they are reasonable entitled. If OP didn't know what UA should have done and if OP wasn't willing to fight for what he should have gotten, then OP would have been tossed into a corner and ignored. This is not shocking. There was a time when you purchased a ticket to go from x to y at a specific time, and then you chose a seat, and that was it. Then, you flew on the specified flight, in the chosen seat, at the specified time. Those days are over. Now, buying a ticket is nothing more than entering a crazy game, and you can't be sure if you'll even come out in the same planet.

Last edited by FlyWorld; Feb 2, 2013 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

xxxxx

Last edited by BRLAhere; Feb 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:20 am

I'm sorry but your letter can be summarized as tl;dr. Keep it shorter. What day were you in San Francisco where there was not a single hotel room supposedly available? Did you try calling any hotels yourself?

Also I see no mention of your claim that you were not transported the following day in first class. You got seats 3A & 3B assigned eventually per the post you just made. These little inconsistencies kill these stories unfortunately.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Encounter #2 - At approximately 2:00 a.m., we reached the designated ground transportation-area seeking our hotel shuttle. We only discovered a soiled-appearing individual outside offering us a ride in his private van to our hotel for $20.00 each. He explained to us all airport shuttles stopped running at midnight. We returned to the nearest UA ticketing counter where we explained our encounter outside and our problem of getting to our hotel.
Were you upstairs at departure level? The hotel and parking lot shuttles go from that level. The cabs are downstairs at arrivals/baggage claim level. That hotel is 4 miles from SFO to the north off 101, so a cab probably would have been just $10-15. Downside is we now know that if you had found a cab it would have taken you to a fully-sold-out hotel. I use an off-airport parking shuttle and they're "on call" after midnight. I wonder if some of the hotels might have a similar arrangement, or a contract to reimburse cab fare with a particular company.

Shouldn't UA have accomodated them in even an off-airport hotel?
I wonder if this was during one of San Francisco's mega-events when hotels are impossible to find (and wasn't there some Mac event this week?). I was at the Doubletree SFO during Oracle World a few years ago, and those that came to the counter without reservations were told they'd have to go down to San Jose for rooms. They said every room around the airport was sold out. I see the OP is complaining about something in November, though.

Last edited by tom911; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Also I see no mention of your claim that you were not transported the following day in first class. You got seats 3A & 3B assigned eventually per the post you just made. These little inconsistencies kill these stories unfortunately.
I don't see anywhere that the OP claimed they didn't fly the next day. In his OP, he said that they found out they had "no confirmed reservations", which is true.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: AS 100K
Among several other reasons, your letter didn't get a reply because:

1) It is extremely lengthy
2) It identifies problems completely unrelated to United.
3) It takes several paragraphs just to get to a United-related experience.

If you want a timely response from anyone in customer service, a good example is this:

To Whom It May Concern,

On (date) I flew/was scheduled to fly United flight xxx. I had the following issues with this flight:

1) Something about the VDB
2) Something about the hotel situation
3) Something about not being able to get a first class seat, in spite of having a confirmed ticket in first.

Closing with something about loyalty and your expectations of an airline like United. Include that you feel said expectations were not met.

Signed,
Your name and FF#

The way it's currently written, your letter reads like correspondence between JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis.

Edit: The mods will do this eventually, but I would strongly advise you remove mention of UA employees by name, per FT policy.

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Feb 3, 2013 at 7:30 am
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:26 am

You say you want the best deal. How do you define that?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mre5765
Your vouchers are probably good only within North America.
I doubt this is the case. Hasn't been for a while with VDB vouchers.

I am seeking assistance on how to use this voucher money and travel miles in one pop for my wife and I to take one trip flying 1st class RT from Guadalajara to anywhere on UA (or lose it all this year). I'd like to get the best bang for my buck, but I'm not sure how to go about this because I simply don't understand all the ways this can be done.
Is there anywhere you actually want to go? That makes this sort of thing easier to plan. The 110K points is enough for a premium cabin award to many place UA and partners fly to. The $1200 in TCVs has to be used on UA metal (or "certain codeshares") but it should get you a decent trip.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
You may want to refrain from using colloquialisms in business correspondence. . . Your concerns will likely be dismissed unless you maintain proper decorum. . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.