Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...and just another milestone update here, Sunday night's UA1748 JFK-SFO on #5355 was the last scheduled flight of the previous p.s. configuration.

As of today [2 December 2013], all p.s. flights on JFK-LAX/SFO are scheduled with the new configuration.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYC1981
Just booked a flight for March 4 and it's the new configuration on the 130pm LAX-JFK flight
It will switch back to the current configuration. The first airplane will not be ready on that date.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
that explains it

i just found this thread. this explains why i see our upgraded lax to jfk flight in May change the equipment twice on our return flight. at first i booked in the 3 class plane. then it changed to the two class with the lie flat. then back to the 3 class and back to the 2 class. wow. dizzy. the flight out never changed. always the three class. only the return has been schizophrenic.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Phil Level
I booked PS flights for May & June and there was R inventory, so UG cleared. I'd suggest that if there is R inventory showing currently, book them now.

That said, go read post #1 in this thread, which is the most recent official statement on the transition. I'm led to think that equipment swaps can happen at any time ("there will be a mix of B757 aircraft flying on these routes").

I already read post #1 on this thread. That is precisely why I have questions. If, perchance, they swap in the new configuration on my flights (which show the old config), what are the best seats to choose that will still be upgraded seats? Or will the gate agents just run their automated seat re-assignment program and we get whatever we get?

(By the way, my "tl;dr" meant "too long;didn't read;" it just meant that I didn't read the whole thread, NOT that I didn't read any of it!)
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

If, perchance, they swap in the new configuration on my flights (which show the old config), what are the best seats to choose that will still be upgraded seats? Or will the gate agents just run their automated seat re-assignment program and we get whatever we get?
I'm quite sure that as soon as the new birds are in service, there will be posts here on FT discussing which are the best seats. Seatguru will also put up a page for the new PS.

With regard the current PS config, I'm a huge fan of row 9, which has a lot of extra leg room. So I'm holding out hope my May/June flights do not change to the new config.

Many threads on FT advise to "babysit" your reservation (i.e. check it once a day, or more often). Equipment swaps do happen at the last minute in which case you might be at the mercy of the GA, but often they happen in advance, so there may be a window in which you can change your seat via .bomb.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Platinum (75+)
So far, I like the center row

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I'm quite sure that as soon as the new birds are in service, there will be posts here on FT discussing which are the best seats. Seatguru will also put up a page for the new PS.

With regard the current PS config, I'm a huge fan of row 9, which has a lot of extra leg room. So I'm holding out hope my May/June flights do not change to the new config.

Many threads on FT advise to "babysit" your reservation (i.e. check it once a day, or more often). Equipment swaps do happen at the last minute in which case you might be at the mercy of the GA, but often they happen in advance, so there may be a window in which you can change your seat via .bomb.
Since there is no classic "PS Row 9" with the 10 feet of legroom on the new config, and since all the new BF seats are virtually the same, based on my experiences on the sCO 752, I would say the row that is farthest from the bathroom/galley are the best. In the front four rows, I normally select Row 3, as it is out of view of the galley light, which can be bothersome when trying to sleep. Rows 1 and 2 are close to the light, and Row 4 is close to the lavatory.

In the new PS config, of course, BF will extend into the cabin (right of door L2) for a few more rows, and in March, I am seated in this section of the plane. I have chosen the middle row here as well. I guess we will see? Except for proximity to lavatory and galleys, they are all pretty much equal now. I do know that bulkhead gets a slightly larger footwell, and your MacPro can fit perfectly on the shelf, but to me peace and quiet are more important.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I flew JFK-LAX this weekend and had my worst PS experience.

The pork was horrible. It was overcooked. Had it been cooked correctly there would have been decent flavor. Cutting the meat made me think I was about to break the tray table.

Seats are really starting to show their age, as they have been for the past couple of years.

I am very intrigued to try the new product, however.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plc44
I flew JFK-LAX this weekend and had my worst PS experience.

The pork was horrible. It was overcooked. Had it been cooked correctly there would have been decent flavor. Cutting the meat made me think I was about to break the tray table.

Seats are really starting to show their age, as they have been for the past couple of years.

I am very intrigued to try the new product, however.
I also flew this weekend. For me the media players are really on their last legs. I always try the player immediately after receiving it since the 1st time they often don't work. This time I couldn't get the 1st one to charge. They gave me a different player and part way through the movie it lost all battery power. So I had them give me a new charging cord and it helped, though I had to make sure the cord stayed in at a certain angle in order for the battery to charge so I could finish the long movie ("Lincoln").

My food was fine. I ordered a beef dish that seemed to have A-1 Steak Sauce on it. The meat was tender and the flavor good (I like A-1).

Looking forward to the new configuration though I will miss Row 9. I like to sit at the window but have access to the bathroom without disturbing anyone. That's only available at Row 9 and not really anywhere else.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nycityny
.... Looking forward to the new configuration though I will miss Row 9. I like to sit at the window but have access to the bathroom without disturbing anyone. That's only available at Row 9 and not really anywhere else.
Row 5 and 6CD also but nothing is like row 9.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone seen this config yet?

Seatmap

It's the old config with some E- randomly thrown in (and First shown as Business, as expected). I guess this is what they use when they're expecting to use the new config (which includes E-) so they don't want to let the unentitled select E+, but they don't want to let the seatmap reflect the new config yet (since it might be swapped out and that would result in lost capacity).
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
well

well, there actually should be MORE E+ and MORE E- seats, no?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nmenaker
well, there actually should be MORE E+ and MORE E- seats, no?
If this was in response to my post, the config I'm talking about is not the new config, it's a temporary config that seems designed to minimize UA's exposure while maximizing revenue in the face of uncertainty about which config will be flying.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:00 am

So, I haven't really been following all the developments so I want to review the bidding.

I booked JFK to LAX 11 months out for July in C. At the time, it seemed like the probability of lie flat was high. Most of the reconfigs were set to be done and the rumor or plan was for those that were not, they would be subbing in PMCO 752s with lie flat. (This is the last flight out after a fight from Europe, so we were hoping for lie flat.)

Now, as I understand it, the reconfig is going slower and there is a substantial chance in July of simply getting the old ps C product. This is a bit of a bummer because we don't have access to row 9. I do not have status with UA and booked in C, so am not eligible for rows 1-3.

Do I have all that about right?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: United
Yes, AFAIK. After the beginning of June, the only people who have access to the first three rows are elites and people who previously booked in F. I'm flying end of June and was already booked in F so I'm still in row 1 (no status with UA).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Grab 6 CD, next best option
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:12 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by nycityny
I also flew this weekend. For me the media players are really on their last legs. I always try the player immediately after receiving it since the 1st time they often don't work. This time I couldn't get the 1st one to charge. They gave me a different player and part way through the movie it lost all battery power. So I had them give me a new charging cord and it helped, though I had to make sure the cord stayed in at a certain angle in order for the battery to charge so I could finish the long movie ("Lincoln").
In this situation (when the charger is not working or your player is not charging despite the charger seemin to work) it is advisable to ask for a real battery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.