FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1434207-p-s-reconfiguration-transition-update.html)

UA Insider Feb 1, 2013 2:50 pm

p.s. Reconfiguration and Transition Update

Hi Everyone,

It’s been a while since we first announced the improvements we’re making to our p.s. Premium Service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and today I have an update for you.

First, a recap of some of the key features of our refreshed p.s. product:
  • 28 seats in United BusinessFirst with 180-degree flat-bed seats
  • 48 seats in Economy Plus with even more legroom than before (36 inches)
  • 66 seats in United Economy
  • Complimentary in-seat audio video on-demand entertainment
  • USB and standard 110v power outlets accessible from every seat
  • Gogo Wi-Fi (and coming later this year: connection speeds up to 3x faster)
This first aircraft to be reconfigured is already in modification and will take to the skies by March. Over the subsequent 8-9 months we will complete the transition, but during this period, there will be a mix of B757 aircraft flying on these routes. Since the configurations are very different, we will be taking some steps to ease us through the transition and minimize the impact of aircraft changes. Here are some of the highlights:
  • All p.s. flights will operate as 2-cabin regardless of actual configuration starting on Jun. 6. By the summer, we expect to have already reconfigured several B757 aircraft. However, in order to minimize the impact of unexpected substitutions, we will only sell p.s. flights as 2-cabin. We will update our systems this weekend to reflect this change.
  • Wondering about who gets to sit in those first three rows in the previous United First cabin? We’re reserving these seats for customers who had previously booked in United First, as well as Premier members who are already confirmed in United Business. Specifically, Global Services, Premier 1K, Premier Platinum and Premier Gold members can select one of these seats at any time if available, and Premier Silver members will have access to them at check-in. Note that during the transition, these seats will be branded as United Business, rather than United First. Nearer to the end of the reconfiguration process, we’ll start marketing the premium cabin on all aircraft as United BusinessFirst.
  • How to tell if you’re on a newly configured aircraft. The best way to know is to look at the seat map on united.com, which would show 28 seats in United Business. However, keep in mind this is always subject to change. Also worth noting, seat maps will generally reflect the older configuration until a few months before departure, when we start to have a better idea of what kind of aircraft will be scheduled for a specific flight.

• The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open after June 6, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. We’ll share more information about the future of our lounges at JFK later this year.

• Upgrade policies are the same. You can still request an upgrade on p.s. using RPUs, GPUs and award miles. And, we continue to waive the co-pay for Premier members requesting MileagePlus Upgrade Awards.
We’ll publish more details on the transition in an article on the United Hub in the coming days. As always, thanks for your feedback, and please “pardon our dust” while we work to give you a refreshed p.s. experience.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

FortFun Feb 1, 2013 2:53 pm

Thanks for the update!

mkr Feb 1, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks Aaron. I don't fly that route much, but I like the news. Keep up the good work and thanks for your update^^

zrs70 Feb 1, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for the update!

Fwiw, I still will prefer pre-config 9 in C to pre-config F!

UA900 Feb 1, 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 20168422)
Hi Everyone,

It’s been a while since we first announced the improvements we’re making to our p.s. Premium Service between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and today I have an update for you.

First, a recap of some of the key features of our refreshed p.s. product:
  • 66 seats in United Economy
[*]Nearer to the end of the reconfiguration process, we’ll start marketing the premium cabin on all aircraft as United BusinessFirst.

The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open after June 6, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. We’ll share more information about the future of our lounges at JFK later this year.
[*]Upgrade policies are the same. You can still request an upgrade on p.s. using RPUs, GPUs and award miles. And, we continue to waive the co-pay for Premier members requesting MileagePlus Upgrade Awards.[/LIST][/INDENT]

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the update on improvements to the p.s. product.

1. When you say that UA will start marketing all premium cabin flights as BusinessFirst towards the end of the reconfiguration process, are you saying that there won't be a p.s. product?

2. When you are saying that the IFL at Kennedy won't be available to 1Ks booked in the highest available premium cabin on a p.s. flight after June 6, are you saying that there will now be a GS/GlobalFirst lounge product?

3. Since p.s. will be marketed as BusinessFirst nearer the end of the reconfiguration process and RPUs/GPUs/miles are still required for an upgrade, should we interpret this as a precursor to CPUs ending once all premium cabin flights are marketed as BusinessFirst?

EsquireFlyer Feb 1, 2013 3:52 pm

^ to free AVOD.

However, this branding is very confusing: "Note that during the transition, these seats will be branded as United Business, rather than United First. Nearer to the end of the reconfiguration process, we’ll start marketing the premium cabin on all aircraft as United BusinessFirst."

It causes two branding changes rather than one, and, in addition, conflicts with the prevously announced branding rules stated in 2011, in which all domestic flights would have "United First" and, if it is a three-cabin flight, "United Business," but not "BusinessFirst" which was reserved for international flight marketing..

highflier1979 Feb 1, 2013 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 20168624)
Fwiw, I still will prefer pre-config 9 in C to pre-config F!

Ditto!

mgcsinc Feb 1, 2013 4:25 pm

For those of us already choosing seats in the new cabins, can you give us an idea of the configuration (i.e., what are the bulkhead and exit rows like?)

Phil Level Feb 1, 2013 4:57 pm

I'm looking forward to my first segment on a newly configured P.S. bird...

ultimately, the question is whether I will be looking forward to my second flight on a newly configured P.S. bird...

or if I will be reminiscing about the old P.S. config.

weirdlyndon Feb 1, 2013 5:06 pm

Nice to hear!

SAN 1K Feb 1, 2013 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA900 (Post 20168686)
2. When you are saying that the IFL at Kennedy won't be available to 1Ks booked in the highest available premium cabin on a p.s. flight after June 6, are you saying that there will now be a GS/GlobalFirst lounge product?

The highest available booked cabin, some June 6, will be business. Business has always given one access to the RCC, but not the IFL. So there is no change there.
As for a GS/GlobalFirst lounge product - that already exists in part. GS have access to GlobalFirst lounges when travelling on any BusinessFirst international ticket. So, in some way, the concept of "ps" being akin to "international" carries over here. Then, later on, as noted, these flights will be marketed as BusinessFirst, making the link even more obvious.

nmenaker Feb 1, 2013 5:16 pm

wow E-

So, they are bringing BACK E- on these flights?

blort Feb 1, 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level (Post 20169129)
or if I will be reminiscing about the old P.S. config.

One day I'll tell my grandchildren about the 14 feet of legroom in row 9 on p.s., and they'll chalk it up to crazy old gramps having a senior moment.

Ari Feb 1, 2013 5:29 pm

All p.s. flights will operate as 2-cabin regardless of actual configuration starting on Jun. 6

Should be an easy transition since the gap has already been narrowed.

[B]The Global First Lounge at JFK is scheduled to remain open after June 6, welcoming Global Services members seated in United Business on p.s. flights, as well as customers on connecting United Global First itineraries. We’ll share more information about the future of our lounges at JFK later this year.

Now this is interesting. No F, but an F lounge for connecting passengers, presumably those connecting in SFO or LAX. (or IAD, but less so).

So you get an F lounge at JFK, fly in a J seat with J service on UA for 6-7 hours and then fly UA F for over the Pacific. Or you fly F for 6-7 hours on AA and then QF or CX F over the water. How competitive.

Thanks for the update, as always. ^ The transition is pretty sensible.

Originally Posted by nmenaker (Post 20169232)
So, they are bringing BACK E- on these flights?

Because UA was giving away something for free that isn't free. They want to make money selling those seats.

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer (Post 20168793)
However, this branding is very confusing: "Note that during the transition, these seats will be branded as United Business, rather than United First. Nearer to the end of the reconfiguration process, we’ll start marketing the premium cabin on all aircraft as United BusinessFirst."

It causes two branding changes rather than one, and, in addition, conflicts with the prevously announced branding rules stated in 2011, in which all domestic flights would have "United First" and, if it is a three-cabin flight, "United Business," but not "BusinessFirst" which was reserved for international flight marketing..

Perhaps they don't want to market a product they can't deliver, namely their view of what constitutes "BusinessFirst" which presumably includes a flat bed seat. With the exception of the old 777, "BusinessFirst" means "flat bed seat". Perhaps 8-across, but flat. They'd probably rather not dilute the image of "BusinessFirst" any more than they already have to, and that means they have to wait to call it that.

Perhaps they should call it "BusiessSecond" in the meantime?

AA will not be able to say that for a while nor will LH

goalie Feb 1, 2013 5:33 pm

Thank you for the update ^ and also for bringing back real e+ on these flights ^