Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
GS can clear complimentary upgrades upgrades as early as T-120, 1Ks as early as T-96, etc. Additionally, those who use an instrument will show as cleared as soon as they clear (which could be months in advance). Take a look, for example, at any of the widebody flights from SFO-HNL - these will typically show at least a dozen cleared upgrades by T-48.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Not just 1k, 1k every year and approx 120-200 flights a year. Also almost 2 MM(99% domestic). Yes I have seen it before but only for 1 or 2 folks not 10, 3 days in advance, hence the question being asked. Yes I travel a lot of transcon and fly a lot of segments and miles, every year. As stated earlier I rarely follow airline protocol or lingo, book, fly, come home. Get upgraded, woohoo, crap shoot the past 18 months even as 1k based in out of LAX.

FYI, last 6 months only upgraded once outside T24, otherwise within, like this flight no upgrade yet.
I just looked at every LAX-EWR and LAX-ORD flight for this Thursday (the furthest away one can search without it being obnoxious), which is likely beyond anyone's ability to check in at this point. I chose those two city pairs to be give a quick sampling. Of those, there is not a single flight with fewer than two upgrades cleared already, and the median is around 7 or so. On 75's, it's higher.

In my experience, that's typical. One or zero upgrades this far out is atypical.

With respect, I think you're mistaken about what you've seen in the past. Or you're flying a ton of RJ's with 6 F seats or weird paid-F routes.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: United
For much of this year, my name has been on the right side (the standby upgrade list) waiting for the upgrade after check-in for my flights. I also learned this year the trick with the mobile site to search flight status well in advance and be able to see sometimes those who have cleared ahead of time.

However, the last few months with lighter load factors on my trips, I've managed to burn most of my GPU's and RPU's and have cleared well in advance. Yet now where I should be on the left side, neither my name nor any names who've cleared in advance of check-in show up anymore, at least not on my recent flights. Only those who then clear after check-in have been showing up.

So why do some flights show names that are cleared in advance, and others do not?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I have flown a lot of 320's but as I mentioned this is not common for me. I can easily see how it happens especially IAD, LAX,EWR,ORD,SFO,HNL domestically but I do a lot out of LAX AND SAN and it does not look familiar.

10 GS to SAN on a Wednesday would be shocking. BTW I did clear at T-29 for this flight.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:02 pm

I have flown a lot of 320's but as I mentioned this is not common for me. I can easily see how it happens especially IAD, LAX,EWR,ORD,SFO,HNL domestically but I do a lot out of LAX AND SAN and it does not look familiar.

10 GS to SAN on a Wednesday would be shocking. BTW I did clear at T-29 for this flight.
Why do you think they're GS? There are lots of other folks who clear before you.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not just GS. If someone books and uses an RPU and upgrade space is available they would show up as soon as they book. That could be a 1K or Platinum or someone sponsored by a GS/1K/PP. It could also be someone upgrading with miles. GPU/RPU/Miles don't have any windows. When it is available they get upgraded. So could be showing on the list for months.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
It's not just GS. If someone books and uses an RPU and upgrade space is available they would show up as soon as they book. That could be a 1K or Platinum or someone sponsored by a GS/1K/PP. It could also be someone upgrading with miles. GPU/RPU/Miles don't have any windows. When it is available they get upgraded. So could be showing on the list for months.
And Y/B-ups, 1Ks in higher fare classes, etc, etc.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, there are a multitude of ways you would show up on the list of confirmed upgrades long before anyone has checked into the flight.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
Yes, there are a multitude of ways you would show up on the list of confirmed upgrades long before anyone has checked into the flight.
Yes I agree but I thought 10 to SAN on Wednesday was by far the largest amount I have seen on this list.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I agree but I thought 10 to SAN on Wednesday was by far the largest amount I have seen on this list.
Is there a convention or some other event going on in San Diego? Could be any reason why higher number that day.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:47 pm

But our point was that those people are not GS...

Here are the numbers for Thursday's flights into SAN. I'd guess that this is a typical spread. If you think that one or two is typical, I respectfully submit that you're confused about what you've seen in the past.

Code:
FLIGHT     |    A/C    | CLEARED
ORD-SAN    |    738    |    2
ORD-SAN    |    738    |    9
ORD-SAN    |    738    |    9
DEN-SAN    |    CR7    |    1
DEN-SAN    |    738    |    7
DEN-SAN    |    752    |    4
IAH-SAN    |    739    |    12
IAH-SAN    |    738    |    7
IAH-SAN    |    320    |    6
IAH-SAN    |    738    |    3
IAH-SAN    |    752    |    9
IAH-SAN    |    320    |    9
EWR-SAN    |    738    |    5
EWR-SAN    |    320    |    3
SFO-SAN    |    738    |    7
SFO-SAN    |    319    |    4
SFO-SAN    |    752    |    5
SFO-SAN    |    738    |    3
SFO-SAN    |    320    |    5
SFO-SAN    |    320    |    3
SFO-SAN    |    739    |    9
SFO-SAN    |    73G    |    6
IAD-SAN    |    320    |    4
IAD-SAN    |    320    |    2
IAD-SAN    |    752    |    13

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.