Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1PP MM

I'm on 1588 tomorrow IAH - RSW departs 7:18 pm CST.

There are already 16 Elites on the upgrade list at T 27.

Convention in Asia?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I saw a similar thing on one of my JFK-LAX (or was it LAX-JFK?) trips and posted the same Q. The reply I got was most likely it was people on connecting flights, and the system automatically checks them in for 2nd leg after they check in for 1st leg.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mnmme
I'm on 1588 tomorrow IAH - RSW departs 7:18 pm CST.

There are already 16 Elites on the upgrade list at T 27.

Convention in Asia?
Anyone who is on a connecting flight that leaves 4h before that could be already checked-in. Pretty reasonable to expect that there are 16 people traveling from other locales (Europe, Asia) that have already checked-in to their first flight.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:40 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Probably lots of people connecting in. If you're on, let's say AUS-IAH at 4PM, then connecting to your flight, you'll be able to check in for the IAH-RSW flight as well. The 24 hour check in rule is just for your first flight, regardless of how many flights you're connecting to.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Anyone who is on a connecting flight that leaves 4h before that could be already checked-in. Pretty reasonable to expect that there are 16 people traveling from other locales (Europe, Asia) that have already checked-in to their first flight.
Could be folks on a red-eyes from the west coast as well.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

There not coming from Europe unless they are on a MR!

Just seems like a bunch( 16) of Elites to be going to Fort Myers?

There are only 3 checked in on a similar timed MIA flight and it's 5 time the size of RSW!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There not coming from Europe unless they are on a MR!

Just seems like a bunch( 16) of Elites to be going to Fort Myers?

There are only 3 checked in on a similar timed MIA flight and it's 5 time the size of RSW!
OP - when you check in at T-24, let us know what sequence number you are - that will tell a lot (assuming your flight number isn't being used already that day for a "direct" flight. Oh - never mind - it is. (SAN-IAH).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
OP - when you check in at T-24, let us know what sequence number you are - that will tell a lot (assuming your flight number isn't being used already that day for a "direct" flight. Oh - never mind - it is. (SAN-IAH).
Checked in - Upgrade list now 31 - Can't believe # that on a non Hub-to-Hub or major city (BOS)route!

Also first time I've seen people on same PNR list together on UG list.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:48 pm

Also first time I've seen people on same PNR list together on UG list.
There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on other threads. The policy as I understand it is if UG's aren't confirmed in advance, then multiple resv on same PNR are split by ticketing agent and each party placed on the UG list per their own status. But there is apparently quite a bit of discretion on the part of staff and so either scenario is possible. My personal opinion is those travelling on the same PNR should be considered one-in-the-same with respect to UGs.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
There is an Arts Festival in Fort Myers (ArtFest) this weekend (February 1-3). A friend of mine in the art industry is heading down there this weekend and he confirmed that his flight is pretty packed in front to RSW as well. That could be a factor which is affecting load. I was heading to FLL the same weekend as Art Basel and didn't clear on a 738 as a 1K. That's typically an easy upgrade for me.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fjfv19
There is an Arts Festival in Fort Myers (ArtFest) this weekend (February 1-3). A friend of mine in the art industry is heading down there this weekend and he confirmed that his flight is pretty packed in front to RSW as well. That could be a factor which is affecting load. I was heading to FLL the same weekend as Art Basel and didn't clear on a 738 as a 1K. That's typically an easy upgrade for me.
The UG list is now at 38 and as a 1K I'm not in the top 10!

I've never seen those kind on numbers on a no Hub-to-Hub flight.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by fjfv19
Presumably the front-end is packed with dealers and collectors, not the artists themselves!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Try flying ex-SEA on a Monday or Thursday
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential

It's called lowering capacity with more elites. Monster UG list numbers on lAX>IAH,LAX, ORD>LAX, etc.. Even on on Monday afternoons and Friday evenings.

I mean 40-80 people deep and I am barely in top ten. Man I miss PMUA.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZipaDeeDoDah
There has been quite a bit of discussion about this on other threads. The policy as I understand it is if UG's aren't confirmed in advance, then multiple resv on same PNR are split by ticketing agent and each party placed on the UG list per their own status. But there is apparently quite a bit of discretion on the part of staff and so either scenario is possible. My personal opinion is those travelling on the same PNR should be considered one-in-the-same with respect to UGs.
They are treated the same on initial check-in or for CPUs clearing at the windows, and are split off and separate only on the inbound. At that point, the split-off companion is 'after' all others in the same status level as the Premier.

ps - "one and the same" is the correct usage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.