Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2013, 9:48 pm

When I fly int'l & have terrible layovers, I'm checked in >>24 hours.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Because those flights are downstream of a multi-flight itin. I have checked in to flights that are >30 hours to departures, but the first connecting flight is within the 24 hour timepoint.
Sure, but there are folks on my ORD>SAN flight for tomorrow that have been on UPG list since Sunday, when I checked in for my outbound flight.

I mean not one person either, like 12 people. Already checked in, on UPG list since Sunday for a Wednesday evening flight? Doesn't sound logical.

1K, T-30 and 9 seats open with no confirmation yet of UPG for me.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Sure, but there are folks on my ORD>SAN flight for tomorrow that have been on UPG list since Sunday, when I checked in for my outbound flight.

I mean not one person either, like 12 people. Already checked in, on UPG list since Sunday for a Wednesday evening flight? Doesn't sound logical.

1K, T-30 and 9 seats open with no confirmation yet of UPG for me.
Are they already upgraded? If they used some kind of instrument or miles or their CPU cleared at their window then they would show on the already cleared side of the list when they got the upgrade. The wait listed side is for people who have checked in.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:14 pm

Been doing for a long time but I will double check. I just thought it was weird to see a flight status section highlighted for a Wednesday flight last Sunday before I even checked in for the Sunday outbound flight. When I went into the flight status upgrade tab, viola, there it was.

UA651 tomorrow ORD > SAN, check it out. 9 folks now, I may have counted in correct at first, but it was at least 10 yesterday. CLEARED Upgrade. I understand cleared but Cleared and Checked-In 3 days before flight?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been doing for a long time but I will double check. I just thought it was weird to see a flight status section highlighted for a Wednesday flight last Sunday before I even checked in for the Sunday outbound flight. When I went into the flight status upgrade tab, viola, there it was.

UA651 tomorrow ORD > SAN, check it out. 9 folks now, I may have counted in correct at first, but it was at least 10 yesterday. CLEARED Upgrade. I understand cleared but Cleared and Checked-In 3 days before flight?
If they are on the cleared side they don't have to be checked in. It is only the wait listed side that starts showing when people are checking in.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
If they are on the cleared side they don't have to be checked in. It is only the wait listed side that starts showing when people are checking in.
So explain to me clearing FC UPG and not checked-in? When would one clear and not be checked-in?
I mean I do not follow airline protocol religiously, I book, arrive, fly, depart, rinse repeat weekly so the terminology and mixing of terms might be confusing me here. How do you clear without being checked-in? and 9 people? different names?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Makes sense but I thought cleared and checked-in were synonymous? How do you clear without being checked-in? and 9 people? different names?
An upgrade can clear into F without being checked in for the flight.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
So explain to me clearing FC UPG and not checked-in? When would one clear and not be checked-in?
I mean I do not follow airline protocol religiously, I book, arrive, fly, depart, rinse repeat weekly so the terminology and mixing of terms might be confusing me here. How do you clear without being checked-in? and 9 people? different names?
People can upgrade using miles - these people are "cleared" (but not necessarily checked in yet)
The advance CPU can run and upgrade pax - these people are also "cleared" (but not necessarily checked in yet)

On the website, the left side is people who have already been upgraded to F ("cleared" into F by whatever means of upgrade)
The right side starts to show names when people start checking in -- this side is the actual Upgrade Standby List -- those waiting to clear after checking in (battlefield and also some non-revs who are standing by for the flight AND the upgrade and hoping for both. You will see some of the same names on both lists in that case. These are normally non-revs).
If you're looking at the mobile app, the people who have already cleared will have check marks next to their names, and the people who are checked in but not cleared into F (yet) will have numbers next to their names.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:55 pm

An upgrade can clear into F without being checked in for the flight.
OK, sounds logical. I'm about 150 flights this year and have not seen this before T-(30-36) or so, but the three days for 9 different people? I smell a UA party weekend in SAN or something. 1 or 2 people per flight maybe, rare, but 9. I'll take your word for it. You know the subject matter better than me but haven't seen that many three days out, ever.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, sounds logical. I'm about 150 flights this year and have not seen this before T-(30-36) or so, but the three days for 9 different people? I smell a UA party weekend in SAN or something. 1 or 2 people per flight maybe, rare, but 9. I'll take your word for it. You know the subject matter better than me but haven't seen that many three days out, ever.
What kind of plane is it? A 757 with 24 F seats will regularly have 9-12 names on the cleared side of the list before check in starts. A wide body could have even more.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:04 pm

What kind of plane is it? A 757 with 24 F seats will regularly have 9-12 names on the cleared side of the list before check in starts. A wide body could have even more.
Yeah 752, but I fly this every week, on Thursdays and have not noticed this before, so far out with so many different names. Didn't know, learned something new today. Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsauch
I just did a quick single day run to SF, arriving at 10am from east coast, and going back at 10:30pm. The flights were treated as separate for RPU purposes.
However checking in outbound put put me into upgrade queue on return flight and I got the tickets. Not complaining - used RPU out and cleared CPU back.
This always happens with day trips. Just last week, checked in 7am on Thu for a 6am Fri flight, it also checked me in my in for the return scheduled at 7pm. So I was checked into a flight 36 hours before scheduled departure.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yeah 752, but I fly this every week, on Thursdays and have not noticed this before, so far out with so many different names. Didn't know, learned something new today. Thanks.
You've flown 150 segments this year, largely on 75's, yet are unaware that it's possible to get upgraded before check-in, and you never see more than one or two pre-check-in upgrades. What on earth routes are you flying?.

You're a 1K, which means that you should be seeing at least occasional upgrades days before the flight...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
ORD - SAN direct this week, picking Thursday showing

R/RN=2,4,0,9 so it seems like there should be a decent chance of a 1K getting CPU on that route.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You've flown 150 segments this year, largely on 75's, yet are unaware that it's possible to get upgraded before check-in, and you never see more than one or two pre-check-in upgrades. What on earth routes are you flying?.

You're a 1K, which means that you should be seeing at least occasional upgrades days before the flight...
Not just 1k, 1k every year and approx 120-200 flights a year. Also almost 2 MM(99% domestic). Yes I have seen it before but only for 1 or 2 folks not 10, 3 days in advance, hence the question being asked. Yes I travel a lot of transcon and fly a lot of segments and miles, every year. As stated earlier I rarely follow airline protocol or lingo, book, fly, come home. Get upgraded, woohoo, crap shoot the past 18 months even as 1k based in out of LAX.

FYI, last 6 months only upgraded once outside T24, otherwise within, like this flight no upgrade yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.