Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Checked in More Than 24 Hours Before Flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Try flying ex-SEA on a Monday or Thursday
Beat me to the punch. I've seen some other routes with crazy lists, IAD<->SAN coming to mind immediately. The chaos in the gate area on the SAN-IAD route due to the SAN terminal layout is absurd, compounded by the new boarding process.

That being said, to the OP's point, I've rarely seen lists that large to/from Florida in particular. It can happen with conventions in MIA/FLL but RSW is usually a free trip up front. Unfortunate timing of the flight I suppose.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Presumably the front-end is packed with dealers and collectors, not the artists themselves!
Unless the Art Festival is THE art festival of the world, not buying that one.

I started this because there were 16 on the UG list prior to T24. Can't see people flying from Asia to the Fort Myers art festival.

Could be wrong but can't believe there are lot's of elites that are Art festival groupies.

Seattle is a business hub and 10 times the size of Ft.Myers so equates!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:22 am

They are treated the same on initial check-in or for CPUs clearing at the windows, and are split off and separate only on the inbound. At that point, the split-off companion is 'after' all others in the same status level as the Premier.
Thanks for the info, aacharya, but I guess I am destined to never understand this process clearly. I thought finally I had it down pat after inquiring on another thread, and even exchanging PMs with someone who was familiar with the correct procedure. In a nutshell I had a situation travelling with my partner, who is GS, on the same PNR. We were waitlisted for a CPU. Got to the airport and for some reason the ticket agent re-issued our BPs. She had already told my companion he was near the top of the list and would almost certainly get the UP. After he left, and as I was about to she said my UG prospects were very low. I didn't know any better and assumed that was fine. Got to the gate and my companion was called for his UP; the GA seemed surprised we were travelling together as the ticket agent had separated our PNR's. She said that shouldn't have happened, apologized, and upgraded us both. My companion later said this was correct and that the ticket agent had made a mistake. On another thread I was told it was the ticket agent who had actually followed the correct procedure, and that only one of us should have been upgraded (I was way down the list). It was explained that the GA had simply done us a favor, although she clearly said at the time we should have remained on the same PNR (with same UG status).
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnmme
Unless the Art Festival is THE art festival of the world, not buying that one.

I started this because there were 16 on the UG list prior to T24. Can't see people flying from Asia to the Fort Myers art festival.

Could be wrong but can't believe there are lot's of elites that are Art festival groupies.

Seattle is a business hub and 10 times the size of Ft.Myers so equates!
They could be pax connecting from the West coast on red-eyes. There are several such red-eyes (from SEA, SFO, LAX, at a minimum; I didn't check others) which get into IAH in time to connect onward to RSW.

I think it's possible some could also be non-revs--do they appear on both the standby and upgrade lists?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I think it's possible some could also be non-revs--do they appear on both the standby and upgrade lists?
Yes they appear on both, as would any paid-F or elite standbys.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by alex_b
Yes they appear on both, as would any paid-F or elite standbys.
Oh, I knew that. I was asking the OP if any of the 16 appear on both lists.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZipaDeeDoDah
Thanks for the info, aacharya, but I guess I am destined to never understand this process clearly. I thought finally I had it down pat after inquiring on another thread, and even exchanging PMs with someone who was familiar with the correct procedure. In a nutshell I had a situation travelling with my partner, who is GS, on the same PNR. We were waitlisted for a CPU. Got to the airport and for some reason the ticket agent re-issued our BPs. She had already told my companion he was near the top of the list and would almost certainly get the UP. After he left, and as I was about to she said my UG prospects were very low. I didn't know any better and assumed that was fine. Got to the gate and my companion was called for his UP; the GA seemed surprised we were travelling together as the ticket agent had separated our PNR's. She said that shouldn't have happened, apologized, and upgraded us both. My companion later said this was correct and that the ticket agent had made a mistake. On another thread I was told it was the ticket agent who had actually followed the correct procedure, and that only one of us should have been upgraded (I was way down the list). It was explained that the GA had simply done us a favor, although she clearly said at the time we should have remained on the same PNR (with same UG status).
Weird. You should be right behind the GS on the UG list on the outbound, no question. The ticket agent/kiosk will separate the PNRs, which ruins your return a little bit. But it is what is done, good/bad/indifferently.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by mnmme
You'd be surprised! Art shows take place all throughout the world and the people that attend those shows tend to rack up quite a bit of miles. A good friend attending the show is 1K from solely business travel. For example, if you were to attend all the Art Basel shows (well known Modern art show) in a year and live in NYC, you would hit HKG (16,131 mi rt), MIA (2,171 mi rt) and BSL (7,798 mi rt), for over 26,000 miles. A few more trips to Asia and Europe for trade shows and you're a high level elite. As I pointed out, I was on a flight to FLL during the SoBe show and I ended up 11th on the upgrade list as a 1K.

I'll reiterate - it is surprising to see such a deep upgrade list insofar as the flight is to Florida and RSW in particular. However, for an art show which attracts 50,000+ people and peak travel season in Florida, it is not totally out of the question.

Enjoy the sun in SW Florida, looks like a fine few days weather wise.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:16 pm

Check in before 24hrs?

How are people able to check in more than 24 hours ahead of departure? I see this all the time on the UA app
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Because those flights are downstream of a multi-flight itin. I have checked in to flights that are >30 hours to departures, but the first connecting flight is within the 24 hour timepoint.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
How are people able to check in more than 24 hours ahead of departure? I see this all the time on the UA app
The second or third (or more) segment of a multi segment itinerary? Leg after a LONG international flight? It is 24 hours before first segment so many ways to check in prior to 24 hours.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

2 ways that I know of: (1) connecting flights; and (2) time zone bug w/r/t flights leaving from more-western time zones after what would be midnight in IAH. I've had the latter bug offer me check-in around 48 hours before departure on an ANC-SEA-IAD itin, for example.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
When I had TPAC flights I checked in at T-24 of the first segment which is around T-40 of the last segment.

Also I recently had a same-day turn of TCON trip and was able to check in for both outbound and inbound at the same time--around T-40 for the first inbound segment. Never experienced that before, just this one time.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies.

This was for SFO-FRA tomorrow (10/28), dep 1:50p. There were folks checked in by 6am today.

Originally Posted by Baze
The second or third (or more) segment of a multi segment itinerary? Leg after a LONG international flight? It is 24 hours before first segment so many ways to check in prior to 24 hours.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
I just did a quick single day run to SF, arriving at 10am from east coast, and going back at 10:30pm. The flights were treated as separate for RPU purposes.
However checking in outbound put put me into upgrade queue on return flight and I got the tickets. Not complaining - used RPU out and cleared CPU back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.