Wiki Posts
Search

2 777's clip wings at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Former Co Plat, current Premier Platinum, former US CP
Cool

Originally Posted by euslaner
pmUA never gave out EQMs as compensation, no matter what the cause (or case).
Maybe UA should offer 2000 PQMs to avoid whiplash claims (legal release for each pax to be signed first though!).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:32 pm

From what I have been told, the airplane was at the gate when the pilots found out. They didn't even know they had hit anything. Long story short, there was snow on the ground and the neighboring 777 had been towed up on the wrong line. The marshalers waved the BRU flight in and they barely tapped.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by g-code
and they barely tapped.
are they still OOS?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K * 2MM
Oh well, here is another reason why I tend to avoid all UA operated flights :P
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I fly out of BRU to IAD tomorrow on what's still listed as a 777. I presume this whole thing has been worked out and I shouldn't have any issues.. <fingers crossed>.

I don't know why but when I saw this thread title.. I just knew it had to be a BRU flight.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:59 pm

Not sure if they are out of service, but from the pictures I saw there was VERY little damage and it should have been repaired quickly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not sure if they are out of service, but from the pictures I saw there was VERY little damage and it should have been repaired quickly.
OK, so go get some bondo and fix 'em. Oh, don't forget the paint. Good as new?

Quite doubtful. Wings on an aircraft are not only aerodynamic control surfaces but also store fuel and quite critical elements in getting it airborne as well as maintaining stability.

Assuming that it is "VERY little damage" and "should have been repaired quickly", how do you propose that the certifying mechanic inspect and test the repair work? How far along each wing should be inspected past the points of obvious damage? 777 wings with wingspans of 200 ft/60 m are not the quickest things to inspect.

Oh, and forgot to mention any in-wing sensors, wiring and other items in each wing designed, integrated and required for flight. Might want to check those too.

Do you want to be the mechanic that signs off on both planes? There might be some other entities that want to check yours' and UA's paperwork as well...

David
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree, and would just add that it is worse to go from mainline to UAX, as you then get to wait around in the IAD version of purgatory...the A gates.
Amen to that. I always get bummed out when I have to sit in the gate area with 6 flights per gate being called - usually at the same time it seems! The noise, the dread of the upcoming E-145 or smaller.....sends chills down my spine just typing it.

To add, I flew out of IAD Thursday night and watched them working on the left wing of one of the 777s while we waited to push back. Was glad that wasn't my bird for a change.

Last edited by RockinRon; Jan 26, 2013 at 6:37 am Reason: Added last line
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:02 am

Really? Aerodynamic control surfaces with fuel? The wing is an airfoil, and the aileron is the control surface. Further, fuel is not stored that far out on the wing. Looking at the photo, the wingtip and aileron of the parked aircraft were impacted. While those areas must be tested and inspected, that does not take very long and I'm more than willing to bet that there are multiple mechanics working on it. I also know that they were considering sending the BRU aircraft to GRU that night.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Originally Posted by RichmondFlyer
I once received 1,000 miles without even asking when it took 15 minutes for the aircraft to get cooled down on the tarmac in Chicago. That seemed ridiculous, but if that's worth 1,000 RDMs, it isn't crazy to think we would be compensated for a collision.
Sounds like the good old days of Business1 flights.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:13 am
Suspended

Thanks to Maaco, it looks like both aircraft are back in service.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:22 am

Interesting! The aircraft from BRU would have been ours to LHR (thats what I read from the UA page flight status page beforehand) that night as we were meant to fly out of IAD. The flight was scheduled for 10pm departure and all looked good. We were at the UA Club in concourse C when at around 7.20pm the flight was cancelled.

At the UA desk within the lounge they mentioned due to maintenance and quickly rebooked us on UA to FRA and LH to LHR. The flight to FRA was then quite full, but not fully booked. We got "upgraded" to Eco Plus as well, which was a nice to have. The flight to LHR was then in Eco, booking class Y.

Wondering what would have been less expensive for UA, leaving us overnight in a hotel at IAD and catch another UA direct to LHR or rebook us via FRA and then FRA-LHR in Eco Y.

Anyway big thank you to UA as all our 6 suitcases made the connection as well. Great job UA !!

Btw, I prefer maintenance issue on ground over the ones in flight
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From what I have been told, the airplane was at the gate when the pilots found out. They didn't even know they had hit anything. Long story short, there was snow on the ground and the neighboring 777 had been towed up on the wrong line. The marshalers waved the BRU flight in and they barely tapped.
So if what you were told is accurate, plenty of negligence to go around. Negligent fleet service clerks for towing the empty 777 up the wrong lead-in line (IMO, some snow on the ground is no excuse) plus negligence by the marshalers/wingwalkers of the inbound BRU flight for not actually looking at the wingtip and signalling for the pilots to stop before they hit a parked airplane.

Sounds like some retraining sessions are in store for some ground employees at IAD.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
flight aware shows no flights for N773UA since 1/24. I assume its still out of service at IAD?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spin88
flight aware shows no flights for N773UA since 1/24. I assume its still out of service at IAD?
its flying iad to gru tonight. 2300 dep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.