Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS policies for UA customers: 2013 and beyond.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I hope I get IRROPed next week! And get an representative who is aware of the new policies!

"I've also been rebooked into Y the few times I've had an issue...must be the new culture"... This has happened to me several times and is not new. Not sure how it's triggered, or if it's just discretion, but got the Y bonuses.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The previous IRROPS policies were reasonable. They were just not consistently applied, and many had a fear of OALs, even though they were expressly allowed.

But even the best policies won't overcome SHARES' issues. If it takes 15 minutes to rebook/reissue a ticket, that's still a problem.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by channa
The previous IRROPS policies were reasonable. They were just not consistently applied, and many had a fear of OALs, even though they were expressly allowed.

But even the best policies won't overcome SHARES' issues. If it takes 15 minutes to rebook/reissue a ticket, that's still a problem.
Plus another 15-30 minutes to issue a hotel voucher.

Minus all the staff that has been reduced so there is hardly anyone at the gate to do the work.

Times 200 PAX.

Not pretty.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:04 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mitchmu
sUA agents have a history and culture of serving the customer. I've found that most sUA agents will still break the rules to do the right thing. It's in their blood. But, the fresh new ones who barely have a driving license, and especially the sCO agents, have been brutal in their enforcement. It often seems like they enjoy saying no and exercising their power.
I have fond memories of PMUA, and miss a number of pre-merger policies. And I don't disagree with your characterization in general. But, to be fair, I have had pretty good experiences on both sides of the aisle in the last 2 years. I've specifically had 2 or 3 really good interactions with sCO agents.

For example, I asked for a SDC at the checkin counter in IND, and got an agent who cheerfully spent at least 15 minutes figuring out a way to do it even though I was clearly SOL according to policy (G fare, and nothing below Q was available). When I thanked her effusively, she said, "Hey, it's good to be Platinum!" and winked.

So there are good customer-focused sCO agents out there. Really. Also, I believe in fairies.

To the extent that expected behavior is dictated by a new policy and that new policy is better than existing policy, we should all be better off.
+1.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I look forward to having only limited experience in dealing with these new IRROP policies. I know, it's a long shot.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I've been rebooked a little less than a dozen times due to IRROPs after the switchover, usually in Y. I have not had a problem. However only once did I receive the Y fare bonus when the miles posted. Surprised to hear that still comes through for others.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
The biggest issue that I have picked up from conversations on this topic is the refusal of agents to provide a reasonable range of alternatives, whether that means going with another carrier, or whether that means going with UA metal at a higher fare class. In fact, the single most egregious change I've seen discussed was that you can only fly in same fare class. So, if you bought an S fare, and your flight was cancelled, and the next available UA metal seat with an S fare is 3 days out, then you have to sit and wait 3 days to get on that flight, even if there is a UA flight leaving with an empty seat in 40 minutes, but it only has B buckets left on it.

Can you comment on how this scenario is treated under the new guidelines?
None of the cases you listed should be a problem policy wise going forward.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
None of the cases you listed should be a problem policy wise going forward.
So what ARE these PMUA-esque (if not better) policies you refer to? Please do tell!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:27 pm
Suspended

what about weather overnight delays for 1k? to me that's very key - hotel vouchers?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So what ARE these PMUA-esque (if not better) policies you refer to? Please do tell!
Basically in terms of getting to where you need to go the guidelines allow us to do just about anything to get you there with the least amount of delay.

Maybe other FTer's can comment on pmUA IRROPS flexibility.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:30 pm

Basically in terms of getting to where you need to go the guidelines allow us to do just about anything to get you there with the least amount of delay.
Sounds like the old Gordon Bethune "burn the policy manual in the parking lot" move back in '94....which started to be dismantled to "no waivers / no favors" post 9/11.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Sounds like the old Gordon Bethune "burn the policy manual in the parking lot" move back in '94....which started to be dismantled to "no waivers / no favors" post 9/11.
Financials must be looking grim for them to make such an about face. So, after all, declaring war on customers turns out to be a bad idea. At least they are showing a capacity to learn!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors

Maybe other FTer's can comment on pmUA IRROPS flexibility.
This is change I can like. pmUA had great flexiblity to book you into any fare class on UA metal, and onto the same ticketed cabin on any other carrier, if it got you to your destination sooner, in the event of IRROPS. That's really valuable when you have an urgent need to be somewhere.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
pmCO always rebooked in full Y if all that's avail, and if original class of service wasn't avail, they booked whatever was during IRROPS. I've never had a request turned down during IRROPS on them, even in EWR. Hotel vouchers and meal vouchers may be different post-3/3 but rebooking certainly hasn't been. I can't imagine what the big change is.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
I would hope that the vast majority of hub agents are about as fast in SHARES as they were in FastAir. I grant that if a true ticket re-issue is needed that will require a call to the help desk (no training on how to do it). But if it's just a book and sync operation it should be done in about 30-60 sec once you decided on what you're going to book. UA or OA there is no difference in the time it takes to book and sync.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.