Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
yet another reason not to fly 100K miles this year, when 75K gets you in the same boarding zone.
?

Gee - 2 RPUs, 6 GPUs. 100% mileage bonus, and CPU priority all out the window because "I'm lumped with Plats during boarding?".

That makes a lot of sense. Go ahead. One less person to compete with for a CPU (but I'll have to share a boarding group with you)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
As somebody who has tried to give UA the benefit of the doubt in the past, I am absolutely baffled by this design. "We'd like the streamline the boarding effort, so let's create the biggest possible maelstrom in group 1 at all UA hubs as possible. Also, let's make it very clear that if you fly less than 75,000 miles a year with us, you are no better to us than somebody with a good credit score! GODSPEED!"

Going hub to hub is going to be an utter catastrophe with this. Half the plane will be on the carpet in group 1. I wish I could understand this change because it seems on its face like an insult to multiple elite classes on UA.

Last edited by fjfv19; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
"That cartoon is a crime against humanity. Not that I've seen it."
The folks posting in this thread that they are leaving UA or booking on competitors because of a proposed boarding process they have yet to experience?
Seriously?
The feedback about the difference between an RJ and a 747 is appropriate. I hope that can be considered once more data is available.
But the overall tone of outrage can only be described as humorous!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I have noticed some, probably not frequent flyers do not pay attention to the boarding process and try and board early. I noticed on my last flight a couple had boarding group 6 and was approcahing to board with group 3 and the agent did not tell them to wait till their group is called. I think on especaiily full flights some agents just do not care, get the people on the plane and they do not want to be bothered with policing this.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
And no announcement on United.com our the Hub site.
So chaos will even be bigger.
I study up on airport layouts for transfers, but I've never, ever, thought to use an airline's website so I could prepare myself for their boarding procedure.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:39 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
?

Gee - 2 RPUs, 6 GPUs. 100% mileage bonus, and CPU priority all out the window because "I'm lumped with Plats during boarding?".

That makes a lot of sense. Go ahead. One less person to compete with for a CPU (but I'll have to share a boarding group with you)
There is only a 25% milage credit difference between 1K and Plat. I didn't use 4 GPUs because I refuse to play the W fare lottery. I didn't use 2 RPUs because tha vast majority of my flights are less than 1000 miles and it seems silly to use it for an RJ flight; and, ticket price trumps your status on the upgrade priority.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one?

Boarding groups work because they separate the plane into smaller sections. And reward loyal flyers.

This change goes in the opposite direction on both counts.

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I study up on airport layouts for transfers, but I've never, ever, thought to use an airline's website so I could prepare myself for their boarding procedure.
They published it there ever since the merger. For good reason I guess.
Still there with the 7 group process
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cranky1K
I vote for this process!
Me too. I'm not so over-entiltled that I can't share a boarding group with Platinums. It's not that big of a deal.

I guess UA has to do it as an enticement to get the branded Chase card, but giving credit card holders boarding prilileges with Gold and Silvers, plus the two one-time United Club passes is annoying. Wish there was a group for them alone just before general boarding.

Originally Posted by FlyingNut724
There is only a 25% milage credit difference between 1K and Plat. I didn't use 4 GPUs because I refuse to play the W fare lottery. I didn't use 2 RPUs because tha vast majority of my flights are less than 1000 miles and it seems silly to use it for an RJ flight; and, ticket price trumps your status on the upgrade priority.
You can use GPUs as RPUs. Where do you see ticket price jumps status on upgrade priority? And none of your RJs have first seats that you'd rather be sitting in?

"I didn't use 2 RPUs because tha vast majority of my flights are less than 1000 miles and it seems silly to use it for an RJ flight". So you let them expire because of this reason? They don't cost anything to use.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:10 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I guess UA has to do it as an enticement to get the branded Chase card, but giving credit card holders boarding prilileges with Gold and Silvers, plus the two one-time United Club passes is annoying. Wish there was a group for them alone just before general boarding.
You mean like a Group 4?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:43 pm

I've been thinking about it -- before with the previous process, I would show up to the boarding process early but I don't gate lice. This new procedure will CAUSE me to gate lice.

As a PMCO flyer, bring back the PMUA process please.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
What I want to know is how UA is going to address the education issue their own advertisement has created, where I am getting jostled and encountering rude credit card holders who misinterpreted what UA was selling to mean they get to go in first. I mean, I don't care about bin space as all my carry on fits underneath the seat. I just want to sit down after standing around for a boarding time that was supposed to be ten to fifteen minutes ago.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:47 pm
ctp

Programs: UA-GS, HH-D, MR-P, Hz-PC
UAInsider,

Thank you for the heads up on the new process. While there is a lot of commentary about the "magical" PMUA process (and I agree it was very good), I would suggest that the most important change that can be made to the boarding process is for the GA to enforce the boarding process.

PMUA had issues with travelers clogging the area near the gate, but not in the gate, because the GA's were very consistent about booting you out of the line.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:47 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cesco.g
A move in the right direction! Thanks, Shannon.
Is there a chance that the premium line stays "alive" / reopens for late arriving pax, once the general boarding line is open?
Hi cesco.g, yes, once the revised gate layouts are in place (currently planned for March/April), the Premier Access lanes will serve two purposes. First, they will lower the overall number of customers in each lane (compared to the single lane used today). Second, they will also serve as a bypass lane for customers in those groups who arrive at the gate after general boarding has begun.

Originally Posted by CDKing
GS is on the list twice I'm assuming preboard is GS not group 1? I hope to get to check out the test setups on my trip this weekend. Is the extra special prioty boarding lane going to be closer to the BP scanners?
Hi CDKing, good eye. Customers who have Global Service status will continue to be invited to pre-board, but, their boarding passes are printed with Group 1 in case they arrive after pre-boarding begins.

Listing GS under group 1 as well allows for most GAs to continue what they are doing and not per-board GS at all, or call with a nanosecond break before calling group 1. Having Global First passenger to line up potentially behind Plats must be the worst international FC treatment in the entire Star Alliance. Shannon, I hope enforcement is part of that plan.
Hi Plane-is-home, we know that the success of any change lies in consistent execution. We’re placing great focus on this and will work hard to get it right.

Originally Posted by jackal
. . . How about programming the GIDS screens to show the current boarding group? Alaska does that at their gates in such a simple display that it's impossible to misunderstand:
Hi jackal, we couldn’t agree more. Improving signage and using gate area displays to clearly reflect the current boarding group is also part of the plan. You’ll begin to notice these changes as well over the course of the next few month.

And no announcement on United.com our the Hub site. So chaos will even be bigger.
Hi Plane-is-home, I’m glad to hear your checking all the right sources. We wanted to share this information with those of you here first. But, we'll also be putting this on our Hub site later tomorrow at the same time that the actual change to the number of boarding groups happens.

Shannon
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It's kind of like they do some observational research on the problem, solicit consumer feedback on how to fix it - and then do the exact opposite of the learning. Mind boggling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.