Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Thanks again for your feedback as we work to get all the different components up and running before the busy summer travel season
Originally Posted by greg99
I do, however, find it extremely disappointing that UA is speaking on the boarding process but chose once again not to make any comment on the GS/Premier/Credit Card holder boarding group issues (whether such issues are perceived or real) that have been discussed for more than 180 pages. As far as I can tell, UA has never responded in this forum to those concerns.

For the most part, UA Insider seems to use FT as a more effective PR Newswire, rather than a place for actual engagement with frequent flyers.
+1000. Disappointed but not surprised that UA Insider chose to ignore the suggestions of FTers, particularly related to the issues with GS/Premier/CC boarding groups. It continues to be a point of frustration for me as a 1K.

I'm also amazes that UA continues to ignore the issue of letting GF board first. If I had a paid GF ticket and was relegated to dealing with the scrum at the gate to make sure my bag got in the overhead I'd be furious.

As for the new boarding process itself, seems fine for non-elites, it's supposed to be more efficient which is good in theory.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Later this week, we’ll begin using the "WilMA" (Window-Middle-Aisle) approach for all of our general boarding groups....... Families may continue to board together.
This will be an absolute disaster if the boarding group is not the same on each ticket under the same reservation. If you give tickets to each family member showing different boarding groups, the confusion will be insane. This is already targeted to people that don't fly much and w/o status. They will just bombard the gate agents with questions creating an even bigger cluster around the gate.

Only implement this if families will receive a single group # on their boarding pass while checking in. Otherwise you're making the gate area even worse.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by ddrost1
5-lane process at ORD just now gate B5 was awful. Insane licing before inbound plane even arrived, making it difficult for pax to deplane and in part leading to the delay we are looking at now. Currently at sked departure time and group 4s are still in the aisle. I haven't complained yet via formal channels but will be after today.
UA's generic reply of the day:

Dear Mr. ddrost1:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines Customer Care. I apologize for
our delay in responding. We are experiencing a higher volume of e-mails
than normal and we are working on responding as quickly as possible.

I am sorry you feel that our current boarding procedures add more stress
to your travels, and I apologize. Thank you so much for your valuable
feedback about how to improve the boarding experience. We appreciate
when customers take the time to share comments and suggestions. Feedback
like yours presents opportunities to improve or enhance our products and
services.

Your comments will be forwarded to appropriate senior management for
internal review and necessary corrective action.

Mr. ddrost1, as you are a Premier Gold member, you are one of our most
valued customers. () Thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

Regards,

[name withheld per FT rules]
Corporate Customer Care

United case ID xxxxxxx

all this after i asked for a $250 ecert. jk
Old May 21, 2013, 1:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jlivengo
This will be an absolute disaster if the boarding group is not the same on each ticket under the same reservation. If you give tickets to each family member showing different boarding groups, the confusion will be insane. This is already targeted to people that don't fly much and w/o status. They will just bombard the gate agents with questions creating an even bigger cluster around the gate.

Only implement this if families will receive a single group # on their boarding pass while checking in. Otherwise you're making the gate area even worse.
It worked OK for PMUA. Overall, WiLMA will be an improvement in boarding time over rear-to-front for the general groups.

I do think it will be a slight bit more confusion, but UA really can just continue to announce, "People traveling together may board through the same lane."
Old May 21, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
If I had a paid GF ticket and was relegated to dealing with the scrum at the gate to make sure my bag got in the overhead I'd be furious.
Not that I disagree with the idea that GF pax should be allowed to board first for those flights that have GF... but I think the argument is rather weak that there is any risk of running out of overhead space. There is plenty of storage space in GF relative to the max number of passengers sitting there. Perhaps this is the reason they don't do it now.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: UAL 1P
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
+1000. Disappointed but not surprised that UA Insider chose to ignore the suggestions of FTers, particularly related to the issues with GS/Premier/CC boarding groups. It continues to be a point of frustration for me as a 1K.

I'm also amazes that UA continues to ignore the issue of letting GF board first. If I had a paid GF ticket and was relegated to dealing with the scrum at the gate to make sure my bag got in the overhead I'd be furious.

As for the new boarding process itself, seems fine for non-elites, it's supposed to be more efficient which is good in theory.
This. As usual, UA ignores the major issues people are griping about, and does other random things that don't help the problem at hand.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I do think it will be a slight bit more confusion, but UA really can just continue to announce, "People traveling together may board through the same lane."
Time will tell. People are confused by the process now. Now give a family 3 different boarding groups and see what happens. Do you also think people will wait to see what the gate agent says during the announcement just prior to boarding? My guess is they'll be clogging up the counter asking silly questions.

When dealing with people in unfamiliar surroundings, always go with the lowest common denominator of intelligence. Basically, assume they're all 2 year olds.
Old May 21, 2013, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Also of note, on United Express flights there will no longer be a group 4, because these aircraft do not have middle seats.
That's interesting--and confusing. Can't SHARES just be programmed to treat aisles as Group 4 if there is no middle seat?
Old May 21, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Had the 5-lane boarding for the first time at ORD B2 last night LAX->ORD.

Basically the main problem was that I couldn't get through everyone standing for groups 3 through 5, to get to the Group 1 line. Had to walk around the gate area, through seating with little room to carry bag.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Not that I disagree with the idea that GF pax should be allowed to board first for those flights that have GF... but I think the argument is rather weak that there is any risk of running out of overhead space. There is plenty of storage space in GF relative to the max number of passengers sitting there. Perhaps this is the reason they don't do it now.
Been on a 747?
Old May 21, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Let's see if I understand this. Group 1 and Group 2 are frequent flyers who have shared concerns and numerous suggestions on how to improve the current boarding process for these groups. Groups 3 through 5 don't travel as frequently, and probably don't complain as much or provide as many suggestions. So, UA leaves the current process for Groups 1 and 2 that have many complaints and suggestions as is, but chooses to modify Groups 3 through 5 that aren't discussed much. Am I missing something, or did UA just modify the part of the process with the least complaints?
Old May 21, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
So, UA leaves the current process for Groups 1 and 2 that have many complaints and suggestions as is, but chooses to modify Groups 3 through 5 that aren't discussed much. Am I missing something, or did UA just modify the part of the process with the least complaints?
Yes, you are missing one key thing: WilMA is a faster boarding process than the current block boarding process. Moving [back] to WilMA will help planes board faster and turn around quicker, minimizing delays for everyone.

The Group 1/2 situation is more an issue of wanting the airline's most profitable customers to have the smoothest boarding experience, but mucking around with who is in groups 1 and 2 doesn't do anything to speed up the boarding process.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:36 pm

And the other point you're missing is that people in groups 3, 4, and 5 don't post in this thread!
Old May 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by jlivengo
Time will tell. People are confused by the process now. Add to that by giving a family 3 different boarding groups to choose from and see what happens. Do you also think people will wait to see what the gate agent says during the announcement just prior to boarding? My guess is they'll be clogging up the counter asking silly questions.

When dealing with people in unfamiliar surroundings, always go with the lowest common denominator of intelligence. Basically, assume they're all 2 year olds.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:56 pm

Time will tell. People are confused by the process now. Add to that by giving a family 3 different boarding groups to choose from and see what happens. Do you also think people will wait to see what the gate agent says during the announcement just prior to boarding? My guess is they'll be clogging up the counter asking silly questions.

When dealing with people in unfamiliar surroundings, always go with the lowest common denominator of intelligence. Basically, assume they're all 2 year olds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.