Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
If the new boarding process has a dedicated 1K lane, that I can access at anytime after pre-boarding I'll be happy

Didn't PMUA have such a lane? Was it only for GS or GS & 1K?
It was GS/1K/F/C, and that lane was available to that group only through the entire boarding process.

Opening the carpet to all elites and CC holders was a huge mistake, one which I believe UA is now slowly beginning to realize.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by qvzn
I don't disagree that the boarding process, ah, leaves a little to be desired, to put it mildly. But posts along the lines of "Gold is the new Silver" are astounding (though not really unexpected for this forum). Really, THIS is the benefit that makes Gold worthless? Not all the other crap that it's taken over the last year (smaller bonus and whatnot)--but THIS, the actual PHYSICAL PRIORITY over fellow pax--the ultimate expression of I get to go first!!--is apparently breaking the camel's back
Well I'm annoyed because they are causing this Group 1 to grow. Under the previous boarding system, I didn't mind showing up to the gate at boarding time (although I'd still prefer being at the UA club a bit longer) but always sat down until they called Group 1. This new boarding process would (like I said) now force me to be a gate lice as I am pretty sure it will board (on some routes) most of the plane.

... and like I said, I don't want to even think about boarding a 747 (which I will several times within the next few months). That line felt like a mile long just for Group 1! I whole heartedly agree that less boarding groups is part of the answer but smaller groups within those boarding groups is the other part of the answer.

That being said, i'll give it a chance and write to UA about what I see and thought of the entire process (which I encourage EVERYONE to do).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Dumb and Dumberer

I applaud them for trying to make the change, but it makes one wonder who the heck are making these decisions.

I think the new "over-entitled" are the high-level executives at Willis Tower, they get to fly positive space in FC and obviously don't know what it's like to really travel for a living. It's like Marie Antoinette deciding what the peasants should eat. They are detached from their best customers, us Road Warriors.

Can you imagine putting Million Milers in the same category of those who have a credit card?! It's really incredible. NOTHING makes sense and yet I can see all of them in a board room saying there are going to be groups of people that are just collateral damage. It is what it is.

I've lost all respect for UA and I'm expecting many more changes down the pipeline.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LoyalEagle
Wouldn't it make more sense to have two separate boarding processes based on short or long haul:

Long Haul Aircraft:

Preboard: People with disabilities, GS, Military, and GlobalFirst
Group 1: 1K and BusinessFirst
Group 2: Platinum and Golds
Group 3: Silver and CC holders
Group 4-7: General Boarding

Short Haul Aircraft:

Preboard: People with disabilities, GS, and Military
Group 1: 1K and Premium Cabins
Group 2: Platinum and Golds
Group 3: Silver and CC holders
Group 4-6: General Boarding

As a silver I figured they will eventually merge CC holders with not status with silver as they advertised it as priority boarding easily confusing those CC holders with not status. Plus very few actually board during Group 4 anyway from me observing before I became silver.
The solution isn't to create more groups. The other solution to this (other than getting rid of the bag fees to make the overhead bin space problem go away) is to create groups A, B, C, D, etc. with numbers in each group like WN does (A1-A60, B1-B60, etc). Except unlike on WN, where your position is based upon check-in time, on UA it should be based on status. People with disabilities would get to preboard, and the GS with the most expensive fare would get A1. Then after all the GS people, the premium cabin passengers go, followed by 1Ks, Platinums, Golds, Silvers, CC holders, and then general boarding. But this would ensure that ALL Platinums go before any Golds, and ALL Golds to before all Silvers etc.

Wish I had video of the WN boarding process when it was just groups A, B, and C, compared with after they added the numbers. It's so much more orderly now. There's a reason they have numbers 1-30 line up on one side and 31-60 on the other: when one group is actually boarding, the other can be lining up, and you don't get a rush of people trying to crowd the area around the GA.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
In spite of everything that's changing, the plane still won't take off until I get on, and I get on last! @:-)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
Have you lately been on a plane with no overhead space left? Since we have all these baggage fees this is a real problem and the earlier you are on board, the better off you are.
Yes, I fly 250K miles a year. I'm just trying to get everyone to chill a little.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry

(The most restrained gesture I could think of)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Andy Big Bear
Yes, I fly 250K miles a year. I'm just trying to get everyone to chill a little.
Yea -- I think everyone is just frustrated and it's now boiling over from the changes since the integration.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This is going to be very interesting.

The confusion, 90 percent of the plane pre-boarding, I bet it pays to go last
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by RenHoek
In spite of everything that's changing, the plane still won't take off until I get on, and I get on last! @:-)
+1

If the cabin door isn't closed by the time my a** hits the seat, then I must've boarded prematurely
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
This is an absolute joke for Gold and Silvers and I am really glad I didn't bother with MR's to make gold this year. I was already upset that the Club cardholders boarded in Group 3 with the Silvers but throwing the Explorer cardholders into this new Group two is insane. Flying out of IAH, everyone and their mother has the Explorer card. This boarding process will make the last few processes look functional.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by edcho
Yea -- I think everyone is just frustrated and it's now boiling over from the changes since the integration.
mine has boiled over to a status match on AS, which will be fired off by email first thing tomorow AM.

everyone has their straw that breaks the camels back. mine was nearly broken when i went from 100->50% bonus RDM and saw the frequency of TODs post 3/3. now the further devaluation of gold status by piling everyone in zone 2 that they dont know what else to do with is all i can handle.

its a shame because since 9/15, things have been pretty good for me. my CPUs have been clearing, service has been better in the air, and delays less frequent. but i can only take so much.

i have 50k booked on UA already in 2013, now until June, so maybe i will be pleasantly surprised by this 'enhancement' and not need the match. but better to start on the AS requalification sooner than later, i guess. those $290 fares from CA to HI will be back soon enough, 8 of those and i am all set for better benefits with fewer needed PQMs.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by halls120
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
If the new boarding process has a dedicated 1K lane, that I can access at anytime after pre-boarding I'll be happy

Didn't PMUA have such a lane? Was it only for GS or GS & 1K?
It was GS/1K/F/C, and that lane was available to that group only through the entire boarding process.

Opening the carpet to all elites and CC holders was a huge mistake, one which I believe UA is now slowly beginning to realize.
Bolding mine: Way way way to slowly if you ask me (and imho, this is e pluribus unum about COdbaUA slowly realizing that they broke things that were already fixed and working just fine)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by sogboulder
Wow. Gold is the new Silver.
By that logic, does Silver now some with a credit line?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by goalie
Bolding mine: Way way way to slowly if you ask me (and imho, this is e pluribus unum about COdbaUA slowly realizing that they broke things that were already fixed and working just fine)
Maybe this is why the red carpets are in storage at the airports. :

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.