Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status Matching to UA - How to Get around the 5 Year Ban

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status Matching to UA - How to Get around the 5 Year Ban

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's possible an AA-USAir merger might grant your wish. At that point USAir becomes the competition and there might be carrots and sticks and bones thrown to USAir folk to come over to UA. Just might have to hold on for awhile.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 6, 2013 at 11:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DocTravel
I was surprised its only a 5 year ban, I thought based on another airline it was once in a lifetime. So I guess 5 years is not too bad.
+1. I always understood that all airline and hotel programs do a lifetime status match/challenge. That's why I have only status challenged to UA years ago (down a level from US CP to UA 1P and worked my way back up)and not bothered with other programs.

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
It's possible an AA-USAir merger might grant your wish. At that point USAir becomes the competition and there might be carrots and sticks and bones thrown to USAir folk to come over to UA. Just might have to hold on for awhile.
It's unlikely US/AA merge will change this 5-yr rule. OP was denied match as DL Plat already.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by CIT85
+1. I always understood that all airline and hotel programs do a lifetime status match/challenge. That's why I have only status challenged to UA years ago (down a level from US CP to UA 1P and worked my way back up)and not bothered with other programs.

It's unlikely US/AA merge will change this 5-yr rule. OP was denied match as DL Plat already.
I'm thinking it wouldn't be under the auspices of the "normal" status-match scenario, but rather a more actively-promoted manner of keeping existing *A clients. That's a very different sort of thing. Seriously, would *A really sit back and let all of the USAir customers move to OneWorld without a fight?

Obviously there's historical precedence for this; what happened when CO left SkyTeam? Did the other SkyTeam partners make a play for CO's customers?

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Jan 6, 2013 at 12:22 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
When BMI left *A both Aegean and Turkish matched them.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Here's the bad news...UA is status challenge. So even if they granted you the challenge, you have to do xx miles ON UA metal, LH and TK flights don't count.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jb008
Maybe see if you could start crediting your trips to a UA frequent flier account, while enjoying your US status for this entire year. That way you'll get full miles for the flights you're taking. It may be technically complicated to do so, but might be your best option if you can use the *A benefits from the US air status but start accruing the miles to a UA account and your elite status there.
I don't think this will work because it isn't possible to use status from one carrier's FF program, and accrue miles to a different carrier's program. Only one frequent flyer account can be used for each traveler on a single itinerary.

Although you won't get the mileage bonuses for elite status on your travel, at least you can purchase elite benefits, like Economy Plus seating and United Club access, while you're working toward UA elite status.

You could also try calling Mileage Plus a couple more times to see if you can find an agent who will be receptive to your request for comped status. Setting up a few international itineraries beforehand with your UA M+ number will improve the credibility of your request.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by NYTA
Any thoughts from the group?
Bite the bullet and start over by accruing flight miles to UA. Use your US club membership and US *G status for domestic and international lounge access. If you need more US miles to top off your account buy them when they go on sale super cheap.

SunLover
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Three trips will get you to gold, two if in premium cabins. I'd recognize you burned your status match and just fly it.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
If you are flying long haul LH why not credit to M&M?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:58 pm

You could get a Chase United Club credit card which would give your premier access until you fly enough to get to premier silver. In the meantime you could buy economy plus access until you hit premier silver status so you can get it for free (at check-in).

One Y/B fare trip SFO-TLV nearly gets you to 25k PQM and I'm sure with a few creative routing tricks you can get over the line. Two of those and you'll be United Gold and Star Gold and be able to access the E+ seats at booking.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
If you are flying long haul LH why not credit to M&M?
Looks like M&M had devalued their program faster then UA. A lot of M&M Members switching to UA (even German based members). I was gonna switch to M&M This year as I fly more miles w LH then I do w UA but reading all the new rules, etc I tossed it in the garbage. MP still seems to be one of if not the top program out there

OP should just suck it up & start from scratch. A few R/T's and he'll have status anyway
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:37 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
I don't think this will work because it isn't possible to use status from one carrier's FF program, and accrue miles to a different carrier's program. Only one frequent flyer account can be used for each traveler on a single itinerary.
This is not universally (or even generally, I think) true.

LH has two fields, known as FQTS and FQTV, for FF#s -- one for benefits and one for crediting. The old United system had the same fields as LH and allowed the same flexibility (see here). For that matter, SQ's PPS system very explicitly allows you to get SQ status credit for flights while earning other-airline miles for them.

On the other hand, US pretty specifically forbids this, and won't even let you use the change-FF#-at-the-last-minute trick, which according to this thread in the A3 forum should work with the new United. YMMV, naturally.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just open a new UA account and use a relative's or office address and start from scratch.
+1
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QBK
This is not universally (or even generally, I think) true.

LH has two fields, known as FQTS and FQTV, for FF#s -- one for benefits and one for crediting. The old United system had the same fields as LH and allowed the same flexibility (see here). For that matter, SQ's PPS system very explicitly allows you to get SQ status credit for flights while earning other-airline miles for them.

On the other hand, US pretty specifically forbids this, and won't even let you use the change-FF#-at-the-last-minute trick, which according to this thread in the A3 forum should work with the new United. YMMV, naturally.
Thanks -- this is helpful. I didn't realize LH allowed two accounts on a PNR.

I used the US last-minute-trick a couple of times, but I didn't want to mention it because my experience was five years ago. Too bad it's not available any more.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM
Just get a United credit card, it is free for the first year. The benefits are really not that different from having status on the new United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.