FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Status Matching to UA - How to Get around the 5 Year Ban (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1424442-status-matching-ua-how-get-around-5-year-ban.html)

NYTA Jan 5, 2013 12:51 pm

Status Matching to UA - How to Get around the 5 Year Ban

So, I made a mistake. 2-3 years ago, thinking I was about to start a project that would take me from TLV-SFO in J a number of times, I status matched to Silver on CO. Then the project got canceled and I never used it. I ended up flying a lot more on DL/AF and made PL. Last year, tried status matching to UA again from DL PL and they told me I couldn't because of the prior try on CO and that I had to wait 5 years. Instead I did a challenge on US and made Chairman, now down to Gold this year. Stay with me here...

The problem is I fly a lot of long haul in coach from TLV to SFO and on LH and TK to Germany so my second mistake was not realizing that when I signed up for US, that the lower fare classes on LH, TK and LX don't give me full credit on US (but usually do on UA).

So now I'd like to switch over to UA. Problem is, I made this status match mistake a couple of years ago. Now logically, I'd think UA would want someone who is PL on DL and Gold on US to switch to UA - the question is, how can I get around this stupid 5 year thing! If AA and US merge then maybe they'll match me from Gold on AA to UA, but is there any way we can make logic prevail here?

My other alternative seems to be to just suck it up and fly without status on UA/LH/TK/LX, using my US club card for lounges (LH and LX don't seem to give too much *G benefits anyway) until I get at least *G on UA.

Any thoughts from the group?

RacingJunkie Jan 5, 2013 12:56 pm

First step would be to post in the UA forum. DL is not going to help you status match.

Ebes1099 Jan 5, 2013 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie (Post 19982142)
First step would be to post in the UA forum. DL is not going to help you status match.

Maybe we should start...thin out the ranks!

jb008 Jan 5, 2013 8:09 pm

Unlikely that UA will do anything to status match US Air, both are * alliance and they'd be poaching from their own partner.

Maybe see if you could start crediting your trips to a UA frequent flier account, while enjoying your US status for this entire year. That way you'll get full miles for the flights you're taking. It may be technically complicated to do so, but might be your best option if you can use the *A benefits from the US air status but start accruing the miles to a UA account and your elite status there.

Seriously though, US Air and UA sections would likely be a lot more value for you on this question

Builderman Jan 5, 2013 8:32 pm

I would try to explain to them that when you tried to status match before PMCO's route network didn't end up meeting your needs, but that the revised post-merger route network looks like its a better fit. If you do a lot of traffic to/from SFO that would be believable. That might get them to reconsider the 5 year thing. Especially if status matching is handled by PMUA folks :-P

The rules of status matching (like many rules) can generally be bent for high-enough value customers. If you've done significant amounts of paid J/F in the past I would highlight that for them too. Long-haul coach trips aren't going to get you an exception though.

jdrtravel Jan 5, 2013 9:43 pm

If you are flying regularly between TLV and SFO you should be able to reach status on your own very quickly. Its almost 15K round trip. . . just start flying. In two trips you'll have status.

bocastephen Jan 5, 2013 9:57 pm

Just open a new UA account and use a relative's or office address and start from scratch.

UlyssesPSA Jan 5, 2013 10:30 pm

I would think it unlikely you can get around the five year rule. The new United is very rigid. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and just start flying from scratch...why don't you just fly delta to TLV, you still have a layover on UA. The service on UA on that route is not the est either. Also, KLM and AF can get you anywhere in Europe.

NYTA Jan 5, 2013 11:01 pm

Since their new promotion is targeted at DL flyers, it actually does make sense. How many people already on UA know anything about matching to UA?

qvzn Jan 5, 2013 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 19984998)
How many people already on UA know anything about matching to UA?

Just the ones that successfully status-matched to UA instead of earning it :p

Someone else's experience beating the 5 year ban but matching from an airline other than DL might also help you

N830MH Jan 6, 2013 12:31 am

Sorry, he's not gonna help you. I am concerning about his behavior. I am not quite sure why he banned from mileage plus program for 5-year. He doesn't do anything wrong. He have to stay on it and he doesn't have to switch the program. He is loyally FF program for a long time. He can't be switch the airlines. He have stay on UA for his lifetime. He can't be termination his FF program. It's unacceptable.

5khours Jan 6, 2013 12:58 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 19985258)
Sorry, he's not gonna help you. I am concerning about his behavior. I am not quite sure why he banned from mileage plus program for 5-year. He doesn't do anything wrong. He have to stay on it and he doesn't have to switch the program. He is loyally FF program for a long time. He can't be switch the airlines. He have stay on UA for his lifetime. He can't be termination his FF program. It's unacceptable.

He's not banned. It's just that no one is allowed to do two status matches within a five year period.

Originally Posted by NYTA (Post 19982121)
Any thoughts from the group?

I did a status match to UA a few years back. What are the benefits you seek from status. Some people may be able to offer suggestions to help mitigate the problems if they know what you need.

PS - You probably want to get one of the mods to move this to the UA board.

HongKonger Jan 6, 2013 9:18 am

Second step would be to save status matches/challenges for something really worth it, not silver.

RSSrsvp Jan 6, 2013 9:50 am

I moved this over subject to the UA forum where this belongs.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

DocTravel Jan 6, 2013 10:02 am

I was surprised its only a 5 year ban, I thought based on another airline it was once in a lifetime. So I guess 5 years is not too bad.
Cheers