Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Policy Changes for Houston – Lima, Effective Feb. 6th, 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:36 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

As some of you have noticed, late last year we began operating flights between Houston (IAH) and Lima, Peru (LIM) with newly configured Boeing 767-300 aircraft. These flights now have flat-bed seats in BusinessFirst, a refreshed interior throughout and on-demand entertainment nose to tail. We hope you’ll agree this is a significant improvement over the previous aircraft which had recliner seats and overhead TV monitors.

With this improvement, we’ll also be eliminating the upgrade carve-outs we previously had in place for this market. As you may remember, in Feb 2011, we began operating ‘domestic’ premium cabin service between IAH and LIM. At that same time, we also instituted our ‘domestic’ upgrade policy for these flights to align with the service provided. Now that we have restored our BusinessFirst level of service on a year-round basis, our upgrade policies are again being aligned accordingly.

Specifically, on February 6th, 2013, upgrade policies for flights between IAH and LIM will be aligned to match the policies in other markets, such as Newark – LIM, where we offer our United BusinessFirst product. For those of you planning to book travel between IAH and LIM, here are some details to keep in mind:
  • The current Premier Upgrade benefits will apply through Feb 5th. Between now and Feb. 5th, Premier Upgrades will continue to be processed within the guidelines of our current Premier Upgrade policy. This includes both space-available Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) and instant upgrades for Premiers booked in Y/B or, when applicable, M classes

• Regional Premier Upgrade (RPU) requests will be accepted through Feb 5th. Regardless of your travel date, we’ll also continue to accept RPUs through Feb 5th. After this date, Global Premier Upgrades (GPU) can be used instead and will require booking into W class or higher

• MileagePlus Upgrade Award co-pays for Premier members will be waived through Feb 5th. After this date, all requests for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards will be subject to applicable upgrade co-pays

• For those of you who are already booked to travel Feb 6th onward (ticketed on or before Jan. 6), we’ll ensure any upgrade requests (including Complimentary Premier Upgrades) are honored in accordance with the policies in effect when you booked your flight. In fact, we’ll be confirming these upgrades for you automatically by the beginning of next week.
We’ll be updating our systems over the course of the next couple days to reflect these upgrade policy changes. In the meantime, I hope you find the above information helpful. If you have any questions please post them here.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Typical Friday evening take aways. The war on Elites continues in 2013
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
While I agree the news is rather timely this is hardly a surprise. There is no reason why IAH-LIM should continue to fall under the current upgrade policy after the 763 reconfigs.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'm not sure how this is a "war on elites." Previously, this route was operated with the "ghetto-bird," now a much better product is offered on the route...thus, upgrade policies have been aligned with the aircraft switch. This makes sense to me to do so.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Excellent news!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
I think the transition rules are very generous.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:01 pm

Great news, it's better with noise to tail AVOD than the ghetto birds even though you don't get the upgrade.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Sounds to me like a new carrier might be in order....
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

I'm glad that LIM and BOG are transitioning to better products for the route, especially as overnight flights in many cases.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

Notification / Advance Warning ^
Generous Transition ^
Logical Move ^

Now, if all these changes were conveyed like this, things would be so much nicer!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:09 pm

I'm surprised they're still allowing RPUs to be applied pre Feb 6 for flights after Feb 6.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I'm not sure how this is a "war on elites." Previously, this route was operated with the "ghetto-bird," now a much better product is offered on the route...thus, upgrade policies have been aligned with the aircraft switch. This makes sense to me to do so.
I agree. And announcing these changes on Friday is the way business and government operates.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
I wasn't even aware that IAH-LIM went to the BF product. When did that happen, exactly? I guess I missed out.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]For those of you who are already booked to travel Feb 6th onward (ticketed on or before Jan. 6), we’ll ensure any upgrade requests (including Complimentary Premier Upgrades) are honored in accordance with the policies in effect when you booked your flight. In fact, we’ll be confirming these upgrades for you automatically by the beginning of next week.[/LIST][/INDENT]We’ll be updating our systems over the course of the next couple days to reflect these upgrade policy changes. In the meantime, I hope you find the above information helpful. If you have any questions please post them here.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
What's the problem here? The fresh 763 deserves service reclassification to BF.

I must say, the UA 763 is far less vile than others of its species. The bulkhead E+ seats are great and J is fine.

And this isn't the first time we've had LIM BF policy changes. I was a beneficiary of the last round under CO in 2010, when the service was 752 and it was reclassified to BF with these restrictions. Those of us already booked were auto-EUA'd. Compare this ^ to Jeff R's method of "announcing" "enhancements to DL SM

I haven't made my ritualistic proclamation so far this year, so let me say without doubt, you all know - including UA management - that DL SM is :-: best in class :-:

Now, UA, please can you do something about the ghetto 772s? They're among the worst of the species in operation worldwide.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by edcho
Notification / Advance Warning ^
Generous Transition ^
Logical Move ^

Now, if all these changes were conveyed like this, things would be so much nicer!
+1

Shannon, this has seriously restored some faith in the way UA is conducting its operations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.