Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Found a thread for you that might be helpful…check out some of the posts (esp. 369 and 370)…

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post21920127
Holy cow. I best shut down the computer and go to sleep now. HA HA!

Thank you for pointing this out to me. It would have sucked sitting in Norway with my butt frozen this Saturday night away from my wife and child thinking I'd make 1K!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I take for you that OSL is priced the best for this weekend? I'd check South America, much more weather friendly this time of year and several destinations cover the distance you need.
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. Yes, I just did a quick ITA Matrix search and OSL came out to be the most viable option.

But if TommyC80's (thank you sir for pointing this out) right about those Mileage Run miles not getting me to 1K (because I transferred all 75K miles from Flexible Premier Miles to get to Platinum status, without ever flying a paid ticket), then its all pointless. Which also means that I didn't have to pay for the Turkish Airlines ticket last week, had I known those ~18K miles would get me nowhere close to 1K if the previous 75K FPQMs don't count towards 1K status at all!

If anyone else has any knowledge on this, I'll appreciate it! I plan to call United Mileage Plus desk tomorrow and re-confirming this as well.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by jyamani
Holy cow. I best shut down the computer and go to sleep now. HA HA!

Thank you for pointing this out to me. It would have sucked sitting in Norway with my butt frozen this Saturday night away from my wife and child thinking I'd make 1K!
Happy to help! -- that's what we do here!

Also, here's one more thread from UA Insider. I'm pretty confident what I described is correct after reading the earlier thread and this one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-changes.html
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Happy to help! -- that's what we do here!

Also, here's one more thread from UA Insider. I'm pretty confident what I described is correct after reading the earlier thread and this one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-changes.html
Thank you again, TommyC80. I just saw this as well on United's website:

Premier earnings on MileagePlus airline partners

You may also qualify for Premier status by flying with Star Alliance® airline members. Please note that earnings for each partner may vary. Visit the Airline Partners page for details.

MileagePlus members can also earn award miles (not PQM or PQS) on certain other airline partners and Amtrak

Earning Premier qualifying miles with MileagePlus Credit Cards from Chase

Some MileagePlus Credit Cards from Chase offer Premier qualifying miles (PQM) accrual as a benefit. Please refer to the terms and conditions of the applicable MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase for more information. Please also note that Flexible Premier qualifying miles (Flex PQM) earned via the MileagePlus Presidential Plus Credit Card may only be used to reach Premier Silver, Premier Gold or Premier Platinum status and do not count toward qualification for any higher status level. Flex PQM may not be combined with other miles to obtain status higher than Premier Platinum.

In addition, Flex PQM cannot be used toward earning additional Global Premier Upgrades or Regional Premier Upgrades.

--------------

Looks like I can keep getting to PLAT without ever paying for a ticket, but that's pretty much all I can do. SO naive! : )
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The algorithm for offerings?

Much speculation this in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html and some in the other accelerator threads

Prices -- varies. Why -- probably some degree of price elasticity testing is occurring -- especially test the pain / desperation level. The closer you are to a threshold level, especially higher levels. Also time of year. It is clear this is a fairly complexity algorithm.

Miles -- at one time it was a simple 2x to 3x the base miles rounded to 1K increments. But UA has been showing more creativity than that recently.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The algorithm for offerings?

Much speculation this in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html and some in the other accelerator threads

Prices -- varies. Why -- probably some degree of price elasticity testing is occurring -- especially test the pain / desperation level. The closer you are to a threshold level, especially higher levels. Also time of year. It is clear this is a fairly complexity algorithm.
I agree. Its probably best to take advantage of the Premier Accelerator early in the year if you have an idea of where you'll end up come last quarter.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:11 am
RNE

All 75K. I flew all my international routes this year on award tickets. Except the last one a few days ago, which I paid for on Turkish Airlines (Y & A classes) which got me to ~93000.
Not challenging what you are saying at all; I just want to make a few points.

With Flexible Premier Qualifying Miles, it's best to use them very near the end of the year. That way, if you have any last-minute unplanned travel, you won't have already transferred more FPQMs than you need. An exception to this rule would be if you want to increase your Premier level mid-year. Then go ahead and spend the FPQMs at that time.

To reach Premier 1K, no part of those 100,000 miles can be FPQMs.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
I need help from the experts.

After Friday's flight I am done for the year and 4 miles short of 100K. My last flight is from OGG to LAX and the premier accelator only offers 9K for ~$2,500. I sent a note to customer service and received the below response.

If I have to I will fly same day SNA-SFO or something but would be willing to eat up to $500 to avoid wasting one more day in airports. Any way I can save a day of flying?

Hello Mr. XXXXXX
We’re always glad to hear from Premier 1K members like you. Thanks for writing.

At this time, the only way to guarantee status for 2014 is to fly and/or purchase Premier Accelerator miles to reach the desired threshold.

Remember, Premier Accelerator can even be done on future United flight reservations (within the next 12 months) as the additional miles are posted within 24 hours!

Please make sure your email subscriptions are up to date so that you receive any promotional emails United may send you should there be additional ways to qualify.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CashN
.... If I have to I will fly same day SNA-SFO or something but would be willing to eat up to $500 to avoid wasting one more day in airports. Any way I can save a day of flying?
read this thread or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html
or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...maximizer.html
or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...us-thread.html

you see that doing a dummy book to get a more appropriately mileage offer, then purchasing PQMs, and finally canceling the dummy booking is one solution. You should be able to get 1,000 or 1,500 mile offer. Try a sub-500 miles OW booking.

At 4 miles, the chances are good for a comp offer but there is a chance it will not happen -- probably a chance I would not want to take.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Not challenging what you are saying at all; I just want to make a few points.

With Flexible Premier Qualifying Miles, it's best to use them very near the end of the year. That way, if you have any last-minute unplanned travel, you won't have already transferred more FPQMs than you need. An exception to this rule would be if you want to increase your Premier level mid-year. Then go ahead and spend the FPQMs at that time.

To reach Premier 1K, no part of those 100,000 miles can be FPQMs.
RNE, I agree with your methodology about waiting till the year-end, but since most of my travel is purchased on award tickets, I thought it might be better for me to become Platinum early on in the year to reap the benefits throughout the year on domestic upgrades, premier check-in, bags, etc. etc. And not just for me, most of my family members reap my benefits, which is really nice.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This may be a dumb question, but if you booked the cheapest possible flight for sometime in 2014, even a short-haul one-way ticket somewhere, could you get the PQMs for 2013 and then just abandon that ticket? With the high multiplier for PA miles, it might still be kind of an expensive way to go, but wouldn't require taking a day to fly someplace.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CashN
I need help from the experts.

After Friday's flight I am done for the year and 4 miles short of 100K. My last flight is from OGG to LAX and the premier accelator only offers 9K for ~$2,500. I sent a note to customer service and received the below response.

If I have to I will fly same day SNA-SFO or something but would be willing to eat up to $500 to avoid wasting one more day in airports. Any way I can save a day of flying?
Is SNA your home airport?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by txirish
This may be a dumb question, but if you booked the cheapest possible flight for sometime in 2014, even a short-haul one-way ticket somewhere, could you get the PQMs for 2013 and then just abandon that ticket? With the high multiplier for PA miles, it might still be kind of an expensive way to go, but wouldn't require taking a day to fly someplace.
I believe you can do that, but as WineCountryUA mentioned above, United's calculation method seems very complex and it knows exactly how to capitalize at what time through which member at X Premier level.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Is SNA your home airport?
Yes it is. LAX for transcons...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by txirish
Don't even have to abandon the ticket... just cancel it before 24 hours (after you buy the PQM's) and get a full refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.