Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A new, new Explorer Card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

I've been a long time OnePass credit card holder. As expected, a few months back, Chase sent me a shiny new MileagePlus Explorer card and welcomed me into the "new" program.

Then, just last week, I received yet another new MileagePlus Explorer card with a letter explaining that my old CO card was being transitioned as a result of the merger (same letter as I recall getting with the new card a few months ago). The newest card looks exactly like the few-month-old card, except the placement of the phone number on the back... and the newest card shows it's a World Elite card rather than just a World card (as was the few-month-old card, as well as my former OnePass card).

I figured there's just some weird administrative reason I got a new card, then a newer card essentially back-to-back... but am I missing something? Anyone else have this experience?

What's the difference between a World MasterCard and a World Elite MasterCard?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus

Same here. Got the new card yesterday. I thought they were exact duplicates, but hadn't noticed the "World Elite" vs. "World" difference until I read your post.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
MasterCard types

World Elite MasterCard

World MasterCard
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

So, the "benefits" increased as the Explorer Card is now a MasterCard World Elite Card instead of just a World Card?

It seems odd because if they planned to make that change to the Explorer Card, Chase would have saved themselves a ton of money by just waiting to re-issue OnePass cards until they were ready to go with the latest and greatest Explorer Card.

Any pmUA cardholders get a new card just in the past week or so?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I got one just today. I dont see any difference between the old and new
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look on the back. My old card had WORLD printed above the hologram on the back. The new one has WORLD ELITE printed beneath the hologram.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:04 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cptlflyer
So, the "benefits" increased as the Explorer Card is now a MasterCard World Elite Card instead of just a World Card?
The MC version of the MP Club card is MasterCard World Elite Card.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:37 am

Changed phone numbers

Called Chase. Told issue was to clarify/update phone numbers as many customers were calling chase thinking representatives were with United Mileageplus. That's what I was told.....Shouldn't they included this reason in the letter.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:06 pm

If one has never owned a United card (any kind), is it possible to apply for the WEMC (World Elite MasterCard) version of the United Club or Explorer card?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
If one has never owned a United card (any kind), is it possible to apply for the WEMC (World Elite MasterCard) version of the United Club or Explorer card?
No.

Only grandfathered cards are issued in MC (any kinds).

All new cards are Visa.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by garykung
No.

Only grandfathered cards are issued in MC (any kinds).

All new cards are Visa.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.