Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning EQM on Turkish G class [Update from UA Insider -post 55]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning EQM on Turkish G class [Update from UA Insider -post 55]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I don't recognize your comments as having any relationship to anything that I wrote. Yet, you quoted me?

I am not mad. I am not disputing anything. I'm just asking a question. Isn't that what FT is for?

I just think it is odd that TK would not offer credit for a high fare class. That's it.

With UA, W is a relatively expensive class. Perhaps, TK doesn't use it that way, perhaps W is a "cheaper" fare or a fare not used at all at TK or used for some other purpose?

Typically, these alliance programs align rewards with yield, so the higher the class, the better the rewards.
I was really talking to everyone that is coming down on COdbaUA

I do agree with you it would have been nice if every *A carrier could use the same fare basis codes to mean the samething.

Just as Id like to see All *A carriers Only issue *S and *G at the same levels of BIS, mainly 25k & 50k. They can do whatever they want internally but it should be the same across the board when having to deal with *A.

eg UA can say to reach Gold within MP a person only needs to fly 30k and that would entitle that person to all the benefits of being a UA Gold, however since its 20k less then 50k they wouldnt be a *G so they wouldnt get any *A benefits when flying anyone only when flying on UA itself

I havent gone over TKs program with a fine tooth comb, but you it seems are assuming that a W by TK is as high a Fare as it is by UA. Could be TKs W is like UAs G. At 1 time even BA only gave 25% credit if it was an ElCheapo fare even when flying on BA

So till *A comes out and makes all the *A Carriers use the exact same Fare basis for the samething , it will be a free for all and us having to constantly kep checking to make sure the fare we are going to book will in fact earn EQMS/RDMs
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I purchased a one way ticket, ESB-IST-CPH last summer for EUR 155, USD 270 with tax and fuel surcharge. It booked in T (and Y for the domestic segment). I think their lowest non-longhaul fares are T, L, P and they have cut P from the accrual list. W and G are longhaul.

What I don't like is that there is no 150% EQM for premium classes. They used to have it for full fare business but no longer.

On ANA and SAS you get 150% EQM in premium economy, which is nice.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Accrual

I have to take exception to all those slamming UA for this change. Here's why:

After I stumbled across this change, I checked several other FFPs and G,W and P do not earn any miles there either - I checked US, MM, AC, A3 and now UA. In fact, UA has been very generous so far to give credit (100% at that) for those classes.

I think the reason people have had so much trouble getting credit for TK flights, especially on G is because TK doesn't want to give credit for it. As part of the process, they have to compensate UA for those flights based on the miles flown but they figured they get so little from those discounted fares, it's not worth it to them. So, even though UA may have had an agreement with them to earn 100% on the non-award economy fares, TK wouldn't have it. Either that or TK was increasingly unhappy about having to further compensate UA for those "low" fares when they don't do it for anyone else and thus, trying to deny those requests.

So, they came up with a compromise - after a certain date (March 1/3), those fare classes will be excluded from mileage accrual BUT in exchange TK would have to honor all existing mileage credit requests up to that date. It seems like UA took a step to protect their members by doing so. It does not make sense that they had to change the accrual chart since they already did so in November but we're not aware of what discussions took place.

Furthermore, it does NOT appear that TK is excluding giving credit to those fare classes in its own program. This is their accrual chart:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us...ablosu_tk.aspx

It is based on class of service as opposed to fare class and it lists only fare classes X,Z,I as excluded, which I'm suspecting are the award classes for Economy, Premium Economy and Business.

So, all those who were able to get a status match with TK, should be able to fly on a "better" carrier and still receive credit in the TK program.

I haven't flown TK long-haul, just within Europe, so I was curious to sample their product and was looking to take advantage of the low G fare on the IST-IAH route. Unfortunately, they start that route in April, so no credit in MP then.

In any event, MP's site clearly states that:

United Airlines and Turkish Airlines reserve the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.

So, even though it's not beneficial to us to make those changes, at least they provided some notice. I don't see anything to blame UA for in this case. I think they were just trying to make a bad situation better.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by j1j2j38
It's on their website pretty clearly in the past, although their website appears to be down, so can't provide a link right now.
Now that their website seems to be up, would you try again? I tried and came up empty.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, IHG Gold
I agree with Phoenixtinct completely that this is TK's fault - they don't want to give UA credit for those fare classes.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:55 am

Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I have travel coming up next week and the week after that. I don't want to have to go back to United twice to get my account changed around with the correct bonus miles, etc.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
Hopefully this gets resolved soon. I have travel coming up next week and the week after that. I don't want to have to go back to United twice to get my account changed around with the correct bonus miles, etc.
No Elite bonus miles on TK flights, so nothing to worry about correcting there.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
No Elite bonus miles on TK flights, so nothing to worry about correcting there.
I mean I have domestic travel on UA coming up, and I am showing incorrect status right now (still hasn't updated from my December TK flights).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:49 am

Just got an email from United...

This email confirms that the MileagePlus Service Center received your request for Turkish Airlines retro-credit. It has been approved and the miles will be credited to your account within 48 hours.

Fingers crossed!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
The UA website shows the date as March 1st instead of March 3rd?
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/mar...spx?ItemId=306
(For flights on/after March 1, 2013)
(For flights November 1, 2012 through February 28, 2013)

I am flying W class on March 2nd. I purchased the ticket before the change was announced on united.com. What are the chances of me getting the miles? I specifically purchased this expecting to receive credit.

Hi UA Insider,

At the beginning of the year a similar reduction in EQM happened on multiple partners. As part of this change, UA made a commitment to honor the original EQM if the tickets were purchased prior to announcing the change. Will UA apply the same logic here? I bought my ticket last month and fly on March 2nd.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...0-100-a-4.html
- See post 48
I am also interested if those who purchased tickets before the announcement will be grandfathered. I purchase in Dedember tickets on TK to fly JFK-IST-ASR ADB-IST-JFK and when I purchased I was expecting to receive credit for them.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tunapalooza
There's room to criticize both TK and UA on this deal. Whether it made sense or not for TK to offer miles on discounted fares is entirely beside the point. The fact is that the accrual charts published by UA MP showed 100% credit. Unless this was UA's error, the accrual reflected the terms of a contract between UA and TK to which we were the beneficiaries. I would expect the terms of such a contract to be crystal clear. Either TK is breaching or UA screwed up in representing 100% mileage credit.

While TK may be at fault for creating the problem, UA MP has been unforgivingly awful in dealing with it. Like many others here, I spent many, many frustrating hours trying to resolve the issue with MP customer service agents. I completed the online form and provided copies of boarding passes to no avail. Every call to customer service was like the first time, having to go through the entire story of seven missing segments. I was told to wait two weeks while a new request to TK was sent, but these were exercises in futility for everyone concerned. I was Bill Murray in Groundhog's Day. This repeated over and over until I contacted corporate. Even then, only six of the seven segments were credited. I'm starting all over again on the missing seventh segment.

Even though TK may be the root of the problem, under Star Alliance rules it was up to UA to address the complaints of its members. UA could have done this efficiently. Moreover, since it was UA's accrual chart that MP members relied on, UA was bound to make this right and then seek redress from TK. This should have been done promptly and forthrightly. It now seems that UA is doing this (since the process is manual). It would have been refreshing to have had UA do this without all the aggravation endured by its MP members.

This has been the root of my complaint about UA Mileage Plus' handing of the issue as well. It has always looked to me like a contractual issue and TK was refusing to honor the contract they had in place with Mileage Plus regarding these fares. From this side it seemed as if Mileage Plus was then not doing anything to enforce the contract. If TK didn't want to pay for miles on those fares (As they chose not to with other *A Members' programs) then that's their prerogative but they needed to modify the contract first.

I recall similar problems when TK put Comfort Class in place and recycled fare codes that used to be First Class and Super discount economy causing crediting issues for months. It seems safe to say that there is a huge communication problem between Mileage Plus and TK as other *A members had updated those particular fare classes rather quickly. I would venture to guess that the point of failure has been on the UA side, not the TK side since other *A partners seem to be able to react to TKs changes.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: TK-Gold, AZ-Elite+, AB-Gold, EK-Gold, PS-Premium
Originally Posted by delmolino
I am also interested if those who purchased tickets before the announcement will be grandfathered. I purchase in Dedember tickets on TK to fly JFK-IST-ASR ADB-IST-JFK and when I purchased I was expecting to receive credit for them.
Enjoy Miles and Smiles
Old Feb 9, 2013, 6:34 am

43 hours in of the 48-hour "miles will be deposited into your account" timeframe, and still no sign of the 16,000 missing miles. Hopefully United works on weekends! I have travel next Thursday on UA and would like to have the ability to get bonus miles, select E+ seats, etc.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:08 pm

Aaaaaaaand they finally got added. Well that was an experience.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Now that their website seems to be up, would you try again? I tried and came up empty.
Maybe they've updated their earnings, I don't see it anymore. Or possibly remembering wrong, but I was having lots of issues with getting G fares to post to UA back in november, so I was looking pretty carefully then and thought it excluded G fares. Or possibly it was miles and more rather than miles and smiles... lh chart still shows excluding G.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...les-and-smiles

G fares excluded for andoujet in point 22 but seem fine for turkish air.

Either way I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.