Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied drink service, "you've been reported to the CO"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah but you're not operating equipment, you're sitting on a plane, the .08 limit has nothing to do with this situation.
Correct--the bar is much lower. Studies published by the FAA have shown that the average person starts to show the effects of alcohol at a BAC as low as 0.03% ... and the standard is an appearance of intoxication.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sykes
Correct--the bar is much lower. Studies published by the FAA have shown that the average person starts to show the effects of alcohol at a BAC as low as 0.03% ... and the standard is an appearance of intoxication.
So what?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Global Services

At 30k feet 4 drinks feels like 8.

I was on a flight the other week in first class and definitely had more than the normal tolerance. The flight attendant continued to provide the request beverages because she could tell I wasn't causing an issue. Once we got to the arrival airport and we were deplaning I told her that the service was excellent as definitely appreciated her efforts throughout the flight

Right before I got off the plane she asked me whether I was driving home ( which I was not). It goes to show that they do care and look after your well being.

That being said...if I was going to be driving I wouldn't have had anything with alcohol.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Some people get their kicks out of putting other people down, I see it a lot in authority roles be it Fa's, police etc.

Maybe you seemed more happy and content than they thought a pax should feel in their cabin. And they decided to shoot you down to make themselves feel better. Their intoxicated excuse they knew would get you fuming, it was their only defence against you making a service complaint about them.

Next time order water in response and don't let their attitude ruin your day.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
At 30k feet 4 drinks feels like 8.

I was on a flight the other week in first class and definitely had more than the normal tolerance. The flight attendant continued to provide the request beverages because she could tell I wasn't causing an issue. Once we got to the arrival airport and we were deplaning I told her that the service was excellent as definitely appreciated her efforts throughout the flight

Right before I got off the plane she asked me whether I was driving home ( which I was not). It goes to show that they do care and look after your well being.

That being said...if I was going to be driving I wouldn't have had anything with alcohol.
Im taking cabs from here on out....
Old Dec 9, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So exactly how much (and what) had you had to drink before the flight and on the flight?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't consider flying to be pleasant. So when I fly, I will drink. And I will keep drinking until I fall asleep or get cut off. As I try to time my sleep so it is on planes, falling asleep usually happens first (often by the time we've taken off), and well before anyone suspects I'm intoxicated (as my natural response to intoxication is to fall asleep.)

But, occasionally, I may show up to a flight well-rested, and I may push the count of what most would consider a reasonable number of drinks for a person. I have never, ever, had an FA insinuate that I was drunk whem declining service. Usually there is the "hint-level" when you get the drink and the FA says, "Would you like a water with that?" then it's simply, "I think we may have served you enough wine already, how about a water instead?"

If you actually ARE intoxicated, the last thing the FAs want to do is start a confrontation.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - The entire reason behind the rule is safety & security. Some drunks just fall asleep. Others get nasty when they cut off. Easy enough to deal with at a bar. A tad tougher at 40,000 feet. All ties go to the FA's exercise of discretion.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by flyGreg
Some people get their kicks out of putting other people down, I see it a lot in authority roles be it Fa's, police etc.

Maybe you seemed more happy and content than they thought a pax should feel in their cabin. And they decided to shoot you down to make themselves feel better. Their intoxicated excuse they knew would get you fuming, it was their only defence against you making a service complaint about them.

Next time order water in response and don't let their attitude ruin your day.
^

If I could turn back time that would be exactly what I would have done.. I wish I would have done that and been Zen..

Originally Posted by jphripjah
So exactly how much (and what) had you had to drink before the flight and on the flight?
Since you asked:
*Hmm, flight was at just after 6, I had a beer while watching my daughter ice skate at Union Square, taking copious photos (they were on a different, AA flight enjoying burning some old QF points so they could join me in SF)..
*A few hours later I had A Speakeasy Big Daddy at the United Club while waiting for the flight...

Probably would have been an hour later I had my first wine on board so I would argue the cumulative effects would have been negligible..

I was actually doing work on the plane when denied service.. (I have overindulged before.. I remember a very nice ORD-LAX flight where I was seated next to a compatriot, both on our way back down under, chatting with the crew and enjoying our flight.. This was NOT one of those times.. but it was the first time I ever was pushed to the point of complaining during the flight... )

Wow.. This is a very interesting thread..

Originally Posted by raehl311
Usually there is the "hint-level" when you get the drink and the FA says, "Would you like a water with that?" then it's simply, "I think we may have served you enough wine already, how about a water instead?"
I can categorically and confidently state no such hint level or even a hint at the hint level was reached..

Doing what you have stated would be considered service of which I did not receive..

My title was carefully chosen.. I went from being served, to being told I had been reported to the CO.. at no time had I used any bad language, showed any signs of aggravation beyond saying "I wish to complain"

Thank you for your post! It had given me heart.. I am, by nature, non confrontational.. I am the kind of guy who gets nervous and gets a high heart rate when actually telling some one what I think, as was the case.. If some one had actually said: "perhaps later mate" or "what about a water instead" when I had asked for the drink I would have shrugged and said "Meh" (see sig )

"you have been reported to the CO" tends to put me on edge.. (I really hope they did not.. )

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reason: 3X multi-quote combo
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Continental250K
Don't blame the FAs one bit.

Ringing call button a 2nd time, what a classy guy.
I do.

When the flight attendants don't respond to the first call, what exactly is a passenger supposed to do when wedged into a window seat?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Cyclo...99% probability this was an empty threat and the incident is closed.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I do.

When the flight attendants don't respond to the first call, what exactly is a passenger supposed to do when wedged into a window seat?
Philistine

and thanks Laser (I used to sail Lasers, fun little boats!)

The fact it was bought up put me on edge.. why I do not travel much, an inability to travel will curtail my career.. meeting collaborators face to face is essential in my line of work..
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by JTPictureman
This is where having a higher than average tolerance really stinks. After 4 or 5, even on long international flights they start looking at you weird when you ask for another.

I try alternating FA's and walking back to get my own after a while.

I like to drink, I don't turn into an ahole in any way and I can't bring my own on board legally. If they knew how many I had before boarding they wouldn't serve me at all.
I believe you can bring your own, though it is required the cabin crew serve. When traveling with my wife, we have occasionally purchased a bottle of something nice/interesting at Vino Volo, brought on board, politely asked if crew would mind serving it to us, and they've always been gracious about it.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up French 75

I have experienced both ends of the FA good/bad bartender spectrum.

Back in August I had a pmUA FA give me a 750 ml bottle of white wine. Said I was the only one drinking it. ^

I also once had a CO FA ask me if I was driving or was someone picking me up at the airport. (I was not at all toasted...at 6'5" and 245 lbs I truly can handle several airline "mini glasses" of wine.)

In the early 1990s I was once on a TW L1011 PHL STL. They had sparkling wine in F back then. I ordered a glass of champagne and gin on the rocks, sometimes called a French 75. By the time we got to STL several other pax in F were drinking the same thing.

Has anyone paged macabus?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
You know, it is funny the different airlines and their perceptions on alcohol. Flying on Air China a few months ago, in the back for half, and business on the other half, I was told after two glasses of "Great" Wall Wine, that I had had too much to drink in economy, and in business, I was told to wait 30 minute intervals between drinks, otherwise I would be drunk and arrested in Hong Kong. Whereas on British, Lufthansa, Swiss, and Air New Zealand, I have NEVER had any comments about my consumption, and have gone a bit past tipsy on more than one occasion. I think part of it is a cultural thing. Lets face it, plenty of FA's from CO are Houston based, and I know plenty of people from that part of the globe who would restrict someone's alcohol intake any chance they get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.