Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO WEATHER TODAY? Will connecting flights be held?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:07 pm

It's a crap shoot as to whether they hold the 863.

There is currently a 1 hr 52 min avg delay @ SFO as flow control in effect. This means that a number of passengers connecting from various flights are affected.

Also, in my experience the west coast US to SYD flights often will arrive a little before the curfew @ 6 am is lifted at Kingsford Smith,which means they hold over the Pacific for a 1/2 hour or so before landing.

IMHO, If the winds are favorable and there are going to be a lot of mis-connects (highly likely due to the flow control), your friends have a good chance of making this flight because it will be held. My fingers are crossed for them in any event....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by rch4u
Now the PHL-SFO flight in question is delayed further, expected to arrive at 10:41 PM.
11:07 PM now.
If only they had taken the flight leaving an hour earlier...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
What was the reason for the further delay from PHL to SFO? The aircraft from the incoming flight had arrived early and actually ready for boarding...
SFO is experiencing flow control, so the delays are likely due to that. With the weather, the airport can only handle a certain number of aircraft landing at a time, and there's probably a pretty sizable backlog of flights waiting to be allowed to take off towards SFO.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
any idea if the weather waiver will be extended into the weekend?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by B787938

Also, in my experience the west coast US to SYD flights often will arrive a little before the curfew @ 6 am is lifted at Kingsford Smith,which means they hold over the Pacific for a 1/2 hour or so before landing.

Huh? Flight is scheduled to depart SFO @ 2240, arrive SYD @ 0810 -- currently projected at 0752. How do the 2 hours evaporate to get the flight there before 0600? There are no shortcuts between California and Australia, unless UA is working its shrinking mileage magic again.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by njcommodore
any idea if the weather waiver will be extended into the weekend?
I think there's a good chance. Saturday night into Sunday is supposed to be worst of the storms coming through.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D

FYI everyone - they made it!! talk about luck. we parked right next to the outbound plane. they literally walked off one and onto the other right as doors were closing. thank you all for sending good vibes through the universe for them. they really needed it!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:13 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Glad to hear it; safe travels the rest of the way.

I'll close this thread now that it's no longer needed.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United MileagePlus Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.