FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   SFO WEATHER TODAY? Will connecting flights be held? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1412678-sfo-weather-today-will-connecting-flights-held.html)

ILikeComfort Nov 30, 2012 3:06 pm

SFO WEATHER TODAY? Will connecting flights be held?

I'm sitting next to a couple who are trying to make a connection tonight in SFO to Syd for a family emergency. The flight from PHL to SFO is delayed by at least 1.5 hours. Is there any chance UA will hold the flight from SFO to Syd?

SEA1K4EVR Nov 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ILikeComfort (Post 19773792)
I'm sitting next to a couple who are trying to make a connection tonight in SFO to Syd for a family emergency. The flight from PHL to SFO is delayed by at least 1.5 hours. Is there any chance UA will hold the flight from SFO to Syd?

They should not count on it.. it is not impossible the flight will be held but generally speaking they do not hold flights for misconnects. With the weather problems at SFO today if enough people are misconnecting they might consider it but there's really no way to predict that.

EDITED: It looks like they'll get to SFO at 10 for a 10:40 departure.. they should be OK if they move quickly when they get there.

channa Nov 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Where are they now? Try to get them rerouted.

mrswirl Nov 30, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm at the bayshore Marriott watching flights coming into SFO and operations look to be running smoothly now that the rain has stopped. There is still a low cloud cover so not sure what delays are in effect by ATC. I can see some blue sky in the distance so hopefully it will be cleared up by later tonight.

The SYD flight doesn't leave until 10:40p and I'm sure the pilot will work to make up some time in the air from PHL. I'd say there's a high probability that they will make it.

mrswirl Nov 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR (Post 19773841)
EDITED: It looks like they'll get to SFO at 10 for a 10:40 departure.. they should be OK if they move quickly when they get there.

UA flight status shows PHL flight 543 coming into Gate 75 which is right next to the walkway to the G gates. Assuming there are no more delays they should be able to hustle and make it.

ILikeComfort Nov 30, 2012 4:14 pm

SFO WEATHER TODAY? Will connecting flights be held?

thanks everyone. keep sending good vibe for them. it's a sad situation and it would be good for them to get there.

rch4u Nov 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Now the PHL-SFO flight in question is delayed further, expected to arrive at 10:41 PM.

Row3Acer Nov 30, 2012 4:33 pm

This got me interested in the possible outcome...What was the reason for the further delay from PHL to SFO? The aircraft from the incoming flight had arrived early and actually ready for boarding...With the current flight status, they have no chance of making the flight to SYD from SFO....

BH62 Nov 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Row3Acer (Post 19774164)
This got me interested in the possible outcome...What was the reason for the further delay from PHL to SFO? The aircraft from the incoming flight had arrived early and actually ready for boarding...With the current flight status, they have no chance of making the flight to SYD from SFO....

FWIW, I've been on SFO-SYD flights held for connecting pax; at least once this year. So hope for good karma.

restlessinRNO Nov 30, 2012 4:39 pm

I note UA cancelled one of the three (remaining) RNO-SFO flights, which are all RJ now. It's raining in RNO too. The problem with bad weather in SFO is, arriving flights are delayed or cancelled, but departing flights, particularly international, usually leave on time.

Jorgen Nov 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey, the SYD flight generally tends to be delayed anyway (the usual things, y'know, leaking toilet, one engine falling off and needing to be reattached with duct tape...)

Row3Acer Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm

This couple will definitely miss the connection to SYD. Hope they will get free hotel accommdation for tonight....

restlessinRNO Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Row3Acer (Post 19774273)
This couple will definitely miss the connection to SYD. Hope they will get free hotel accommdation for tonight....

That is not a guarantee for weather delays. However as Jorgen points out, the SYD flight may be delayed for other reasons, but I would not count on a delay due to connecting pax.

Often1 Nov 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Best to hope for is that the SYD flight is both delayed for some reason and that it's not oversold. Problem on that flight is that at T-30, UA will assign OP's companions' seats to pax awaiting seat assignments.

The only thing more frustrating than misconnecting, is having the connecting flight delayed, but losing one's eat to an oversold standby (who may also have a compelling reason to be on the flight).

zoegksf Nov 30, 2012 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Row3Acer (Post 19774273)

I am not so sure. I often take the same flight number from JFK where there is alot of connecting people. They will always have a agent meet the plane and somehow get them over to G for the flight. I wish them luck.