Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Equip Change on Award Global First bumps me down to Bus/First????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

What can/should I do?
Booked 2 Global First seats on UA ORD-FCO for next May, long leg was 777-200 global first for 135k miles each (on milesaver award). Equipment and schedules all got changed and now im on 767-400 in bus/first both directions. Please tell me they have to refund the 35k diff pp because we're in bus/first now and not Global-First?!!???
1) Should I just call now and try and get the mileage refunds or wait until we're close when it seems certain equip will be same and we'll be in bus/first. OR
2)Can i try and get them to change us to other flight route with global first on the planes? (no milesaver avail on those flights but some anytime awards right now)
3) Is it even worth it now with the new bus/first seats supposedly almost as good as a global seat anyway?
thanks!!!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:15 am

They should refund the difference in miles, which seems like the best option to me. I hadn't noticed before that the difference between the business and the first award cost is so big for trips to europe. 35,000 mile roundtrip difference for europe vs only 20,000 mile roundtrip difference to asia. ORD to FCO isn't even that long of a flight. Unless you have a ton of miles so barely value them at all, definitely seems like you actually come out ahead as long as they get refunded, which they should.
They may let you do the other options if you prefer... changing to a different flight or opening up availability on a different flight, but the latter seems unlikely, and you can do the first option yourself for free if you have platinum or 1k status.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kugball
1) Should I just call now and try and get the mileage refunds or wait until we're close when it seems certain equip will be same and we'll be in bus/first.
I'd say your chances of getting your 35k miles back are equal, so it doesn't necessarily matter whether you call now or later in this respect.

2)Can i try and get them to change us to other flight route with global first on the planes? (no milesaver avail on those flights but some anytime awards right now)
You can certainly try (it doesn't hurt to ask). If you want to go this route, I would do it sooner, rather than later to ensure that you have as much availability/flexibility as possible.

3) Is it even worth it now with the new bus/first seats supposedly almost as good as a global seat anyway?
thanks!!!
I can't say I've flown both, but if you're doing it solely for the seat then, no I wouldn't worry about switching.

Originally Posted by j1j2j38
I hadn't noticed before that the difference between the business and the first award cost is so big for trips to europe. 35,000 mile roundtrip difference for europe vs only 20,000 mile roundtrip difference to asia. ORD to FCO isn't even that long of a flight.
Depends on where you're flying to in Asia as well. If you're going to Japan, it's only 15k difference between J and F. I'm certainly not complaining!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.