Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport Lounge Access in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA1k
Agreed. Probably the best airline lounge in the world, or at least very close to Virgin Clubhouse.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by spaceman3
Agreed. Probably the best airline lounge in the world, or at least very close to Virgin Clubhouse.
lets not go crazy here...

Best star gold lounge, perhaps, best lounge in the world...naaah

OP, enjoy your time, it will make the United Club look like a dirty gas station toilet.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lets not go crazy here...

Best star gold lounge, perhaps, best lounge in the world...naaah

OP, enjoy your time, it will make the United Club look like a dirty gas station toilet.
Yep, EK and SQ F take it to yet another level altogether.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:29 pm
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
My second favourite star alliance lounge behind the First Class Terminal in FRA. Enjoy a game of snooker!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by DWM
Enjoy a game of snooker!
Isnt it a pool table (ie. not a snooker table?)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: VAG
Wow, that picture looks fantastic. I've been wanting to go to Turkey, so perhaps I should do it before my *G status expires.

Or at least, I can change at IST for my next trip to Europe.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:49 pm
RNE

I'll let you know how well that hole in the wall meets my exacting standards. In May, I will be trekking throughout western Turkey with a friend from work (flights to IST* and CKZ**).

*CLE-EWR-IST-EWR-CLE = $838. Yes, it's in coach, but still that price in May is ^

**How many of you wingnuts have ever been to that airport?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
I'm not sure about the "best in the world", but in my book, the Turkish Air Lounge in Istanbul ranks right up there with Hong Kong.

In addition to great food and drink, Istanbul has a massage station (note the massuse working it next to the piano!

A billards table.

And even a small "movie theatre" with recliners!

Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by NeB
Thanks for the link! I checked the lounge access policy and clearly states as much.
As stated, United Club gets access to all *A member-owned lounges if traveling on a *A flight from that airport in any class (the flight could be on a different *A carrier). The difference with *G is that *G also get access to third-party contract lounges (usually at smaller, non-hub stations) used by the *A carrier they are flying.

The *A lounge policy explains the policies more clearly:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/

Charles
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
strictness of 1-guest rule?

Anybody have a feel for how strict they are in enforcing the 1-guest rule? My wife (*G) will be transiting through IST tomorrow (domestic-to-LHR) with 2 companions (her friend and friend's adult daughter).
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by NeB
Airport Lounge Access in Istambul
Or did you mean East Hambull?

(kudos for the first person to identify the reference!)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Don't forget with long layovers there are also four or five nice little bedrooms with TVs, iPod docs and a single bed. The showers are good too.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Anybody have a feel for how strict they are in enforcing the 1-guest rule? My wife (*G) will be transiting through IST tomorrow (domestic-to-LHR) with 2 companions (her friend and friend's adult daughter).
When I was checking in at the lounge, there was a couple behind me with two children. The desk clerk would not let them in as "only one companion is allowed". I offerred to take one in as my guest, but "You are only allowed one guest also. That still leaves them one short".
The couple thanked me, but they didn't get in.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
As stated, United Club gets access to all *A member-owned lounges if traveling on a *A flight from that airport in any class
Minor clarification but the access is to the Business lounge where there is more than one option. So it isn't quite "any" member-operated lounge but in this specific case the net effect is the same: the OP gets in to the lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Minor clarification but the access is to the Business lounge where there is more than one option. So it isn't quite "any" member-operated lounge but in this specific case the net effect is the same: the OP gets in to the lounge.
Good point. A couple years ago, as a 1K I was refused entry into the Senator Lounge (*G) at FRA because I was accompanied by my wife and toddler daughter, and thus exceeded the 1-guest rule. But since we were both RCC members we were able to use the Business Lounge.

Originally Posted by ErikStratton
When I was checking in at the lounge, there was a couple behind me with two children. The desk clerk would not let them in as "only one companion is allowed". I offerred to take one in as my guest, but "You are only allowed one guest also. That still leaves them one short".
The couple thanked me, but they didn't get in.
Bummer. Oh well, they can at least ask, might get lucky.

Or she can guest one of them in, come out a few minutes later and guest the other person in. But I doubt she'd be that daring or want to go through that level of bother.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 28, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.