Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "EWR-HNL (Seating, Meals, Service, etc.) Questions" Thread [Merged]

Old May 9, 16, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
8am???? My flights are at 9am.... I better double check. I don't do 8am flights very well
Old May 9, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
8am???? My flights are at 9am.... I better double check. I don't do 8am flights very well
Yeah mine is 8:15 in September.

I am glad I'm flying AA back to EWR (through DFW) at 8pm, I am not liking that 2PM departure time on United. Much easier to find awards on AA than UA to/from Hawaii as well. I feel lucky I even found the nonstop ewr-hnl for 40K a person.

PS going back to your pricing posts in March; whenever I check I see about $2900-3200 roundtrip ewr-hnl-ewr or phl-iah-hnl-iah-phl so I would say you got a good deal! AA has actually been pretty decent with prices phl-dfw-hnl-dfw-hnl at about $1500-2000 r/t which gets you (usually) lie-flats or at worst NGBC and good flight times.

Last edited by airb330; May 9, 16 at 8:45 am
Old May 9, 16, 5:20 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Please do report back! With pics if you can ;-)

Originally Posted by DrGiggles View Post
Took the am ewr-hnl flight in F and brought food but ended up not touching it. Breakfast of an omelet and a lunch calzone was plenty and they did have snacks in the galley.
Thanks for the report! Has the service and food improved over the last few months? I remember reading that UA was upgrading and improving their offerings.

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I'll be on it again in a few weeks and will report back. I'm still not happy with the time change on the HNL-EWR portion. I like leaving at night and having the whole day to enjoy.

I still plan on bringing food
Any chance on some pics Mary?
:-)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 16 at 6:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old May 9, 16, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry
I'm flying on Wednesday and will report back.
Old May 10, 16, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Taoyuan View Post
I'm flying on Wednesday and will report back.
Thanks so much-there's tons of trip reports for all kinds of UA flights but not too many current ones for UA14/15. There's only one from this year that I could find buried on the 3rd page of a Google search.
Old May 10, 16, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FBWFTW View Post
Thanks so much-there's tons of trip reports for all kinds of UA flights but not too many current ones for UA14/15. There's only one from this year that I could find buried on the 3rd page of a Google search.
Sorry, I did EWR-HNL early April and neglected to write it up. Don't expect too much in the way of food.

Breakfast was similar to a ps flight. I had the French Toast Souffle. Started with a fruit plate and yogurt. Also a choice of cinnamon roll or biscuit.

Then the French toast Souffle came out with two slices of bacon. Very nice.

Once we got over California, the snack came out. That was simply two slices of turkey pastrami on rye toast. Came with a chocolate truffle.

That was it food wise. Never saw a snack basket.
Old May 10, 16, 8:07 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
This thread seems as good as any to pose this question...

3 of us (wife, myself and 2 y/o daughter) flying in F on EWR-HNL this coming fall...We currently have 1 D/K/L.

I just flew on the reconfigured 767-300 for the first time and sat in 1D, on that aircraft, the D seats are not well aligned with the pairs as far as the row numbering is concerned. Also noticed that on the -300, that 1AB 1KL are pretty well forward and are practically in the galley.

The extra footwell for all three of us will be nice (well, maybe not so much for our daughter), but we'd rather have easier communication and be 'together' as much as possible.

If it was a -300, ideal seats would be 1D, and 2AB or 2KL, as it lines up better. Just trying to get a feel for how the -400 row line up compared to the -300.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated!
Old May 10, 16, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by FBWFTW View Post
Usually some scattered reports can be found in the food threads over the years. That said, there have been so many changes (mostly negative it seems) over the past 2-4 years that they are too out of date. I took the flight in 2013 when it left a little later and it was a lunch flight, but food-wise the highlight was the sundae...now we don't even get that or even a warmed cookie it seems!
Old May 10, 16, 10:47 am

Here's one from February of this year. I couldn't find much of anything for 2015 so I anxiously await to see updates on this thread.
I'll certainly be looking forward to hearing all about people's experiences. Seems that YMMV with the food/service. Strange.
http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...businessfirst/
Old May 11, 16, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA Nothing (Former Gold), Global Entry

Took the flight today. Was overall pretty enjoyable.

Breakfast started with a fruit plate.

Name:  IMG_5396.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  381.3 KB

The main choices were apple blintz, omelette with herb cheese, and cereal. I chose the omelette and enjoyed it.

Name:  IMG_5397.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  749.1 KB

Around the time we crossed California, the FAs offered the calzone for lunch. It was pretty decent.

Name:  IMG_5398.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  484.1 KB

For the first half of the flight, I didn't see any snacks in the galley - just a setup to get yourself water. I did see some snacks come out while we were over the ocean.

Name:  IMG_5405.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  579.4 KB

FAs were good with drinks during meal times - saw very little of them during the rest of the flight. I refused to swap to a window seat to accommodate a couple, and the FA serving my section seemed to take it personally. I had also been booted out of my D center seat 2 days ago, and found out that a deadheading captain got that seat.

The hard product is definitely the highlight of the flight, and I very much enjoyed the seat and the IFE.

Name:  IMG_5394.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  609.6 KB
Old May 12, 16, 7:58 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

Just a friendly note that discussion about seat-swapping is better left to the TravelBuzz forum, in order to keep this thread on topic. Therefore, such recent posts have been deleted from this thread. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old May 12, 16, 7:59 am

The snack seems a little pathetic. You'd think a baked on board cookie or something would be offered since they cut out the sundaes due to the flight timing.

I'd also prefer Soup to a fruit plate since fruit was served with breakfast. But that's just me. Overall the food situation wasn't great in 2013 (mid con service), but actually still seems better than eggs and a calzone. It's a shame since the UA mid con meals have actually improved dramatically since then too! I would have thought they could do a little better here considering DL and AA's meals.

Almost all of the posts/trip reports seem to state that the service crew disappear for long periods of time. I know my crews in 2013 were actually great with refills, etc.

Oh well, still a comfortable ride to HNL and a great deal using miles ^ Thanks Taoyuan for the post!

Last edited by airb330; May 12, 16 at 8:01 am Reason: spelling
Old May 12, 16, 9:21 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
This thread seems as good as any to pose this question...

3 of us (wife, myself and 2 y/o daughter) flying in F on EWR-HNL this coming fall...We currently have 1 D/K/L.

I just flew on the reconfigured 767-300 for the first time and sat in 1D, on that aircraft, the D seats are not well aligned with the pairs as far as the row numbering is concerned. Also noticed that on the -300, that 1AB 1KL are pretty well forward and are practically in the galley.

The extra footwell for all three of us will be nice (well, maybe not so much for our daughter), but we'd rather have easier communication and be 'together' as much as possible.

If it was a -300, ideal seats would be 1D, and 2AB or 2KL, as it lines up better. Just trying to get a feel for how the -400 row line up compared to the -300.

Any thoughts/suggestions will be appreciated!
I hate to re-post, but any help here? Flight is slowly filling up.
Old May 12, 16, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler View Post
I hate to re-post, but any help here? Flight is slowly filling up.
This thread might be more helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ew-config.html

The rows don't align perfectly, but I think 2AB and 2D would be fine. Having your child in 2B, the parent in 2A is obviously close, but 2D would also be just slightly behind. Might not be able to make eye contact, but would see if your child was getting out of the seat, etc. Or 2D, 2KL, etc. I don't know how much row 1 is separate as you're asking, but just to be safe I'd move elsewhere unless someone knows for sure.

I don't think any row lines up perfectly but if a parent is in seat D behind a little bit, that should work just fine.
Old May 16, 16, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Taoyuan View Post
Took the flight today. Was overall pretty enjoyable.

Breakfast started with a fruit plate.

The main choices were apple blintz, omelette with herb cheese, and cereal. I chose the omelette and enjoyed it.

Around the time we crossed California, the FAs offered the calzone for lunch. It was pretty decent.

For the first half of the flight, I didn't see any snacks in the galley - just a setup to get yourself water. I did see some snacks come out while we were over the ocean.

FAs were good with drinks during meal times - saw very little of them during the rest of the flight. I refused to swap to a window seat to accommodate a couple, and the FA serving my section seemed to take it personally. I had also been booted out of my D center seat 2 days ago, and found out that a deadheading captain got that seat.

The hard product is definitely the highlight of the flight, and I very much enjoyed the seat and the IFE.
Thanks so much for the great review and pics! Much appreciated!
I guess it's YMMV with how each crew sets up the service but it seems to have gotten better! Enjoy Hawaii and let us know how your trip back goes!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: