Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:
  • United℠ Explorer Card
  • United Explorer℠ Business Card
  • United℠ Business Card
  • United Quest℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Card
  • United Club℠ Business Card
  • United Club℠ Infinite Card
  • United℠ Presidential Plus℠ Card
  • United Presidential Plus Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized as indicated in the "Upgrade Confirmation Priority" section above, and prioritized after the lowest paid fare class within each Premier level. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.
New statement on companions changed late 2021?
This benefit only extends to one companion traveling on an award ticket. The companion must be traveling on the same PNR as the primary Cardmember.
Early on success in being transferred to the gate list had been spotty and many agents will claim this benefit does not exist. Since 2017 this appears to be working better.

Previous thread
Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Premiers Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC {ARCHIVE}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated CPU on Awards for UA Elites +Companion Who Hold An Eligible Chase/UA CC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:37 am

Wife (no status, no CC), is CPU'd on award flight with me. I have 1k and United Explorer.

Now all they need to do is allow us to use these worthless Plus Points on Award Flights. 1% better chance of getting upgraded!

Last edited by dbldwn02; Dec 4, 2021 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How long after getting the card will I be able to CPU a flight? I was just approved (and have the virtual card in Google Pay), but I'm not showing any CPU request on a booking, even after re-adding my MP number.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
How long after getting the card will I be able to CPU a flight? I was just approved (and have the virtual card in Google Pay), but I'm not showing any CPU request on a booking, even after re-adding my MP number.
It seems to take a week or two before credit card benefits take on united.com
Old Jan 30, 2022, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It seems to take a week or two before credit card benefits take on united.com
Crap. Flight's in 7 days. It's booked 2/20 right now with only 4 on the upgrade list so I figured I'd get the card haha.

Oh well, if I space opens up, it's all moot.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Why aren't mile redemption tickets eligible for complimentary upgrades? Seems rather backwards that a benefit one can enjoy when paying cash is being denied when redeeming miles.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by techie
Why aren't mile redemption tickets eligible for complimentary upgrades? Seems rather backwards that a benefit one can enjoy when paying cash is being denied when redeeming miles.
For CPU flights there are for UA elites with appropriate Chase MP credit card.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Thanks, though I really wish that wasn't a barrier. Bad enough that only Global Services can upgrade mileage redemptions with PlusPoints.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by techie
Thanks, though I really wish that wasn't a barrier. Bad enough that only Global Services can upgrade mileage redemptions with PlusPoints.
The barrier is very low, Explorer card gets the benefit.

UA is more generous that most carriers, very few carriers have complimentary upgrades for award travellers.
chavala and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA MM
I'm listed as CPU eligible on an award flight though I no longer have a UA Chase card. Status only.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I'm listed as CPU eligible on an award flight though I no longer have a UA Chase card. Status only.
Odd because the stated benefit is premier members with an appropriate card. May be something sticky in UA's files
Premier members who are primary United Chase cardmembers for certain Chase-issued MileagePlus credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I wonder if they still think you hold the card as that is definitely not typical. I guess consider yourself lucky.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
Odd because the stated benefit is premier members with an appropriate card. May be something sticky in UA's files
That's possible. Another possibility, though I don't see anything published about it, is that we're traveling on a J award ticket so maybe status combined with the award bucket is a factor. This is the short flight that we're listed as CPU eligible.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:35 pm

That's possible. Another possibility, though I don't see anything published about it, is that we're traveling on a J award ticket so maybe status combined with the award bucket is a factor. This is the short flight that we're listed as CPU eligible.
J-award ticket with an economy segment. That would be nice if UA starts auto-waitlist in those cases
Old Feb 22, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Gold
Having United Gateway Card (or the no-fee ex-MileagePlus Card) is also eligible for CPU on award and expanded XN- they're just not advertised
Old May 10, 2022, 2:43 pm

Companion upgrade failed on XN fare (UA Club Infinite card feature)

Ok, here’s my situation. Decided to check out companion upgrade feature on award tickets of my new United Club Infinite card and booked XN fare on EWR-MSP route in economy. I’ve chosen Sun as a travel day with plenty of empty seats in J.

I am Plat, my companion General. We were on upgrade list up until check-in, sitting on top of the list as number 2&3. During online check-in I noticed that there wasn’t any warning about splitting reservation as it usually does with revenue tickets, so I went ahead and checked in both of us, as we are on the same reservation.

My companion immediately disappeared from the upgrade list and I called United. Agent said my companion is indeed eligible for CPU but now she is off the list and they can’t fix this problem now. Also, she started to BS me about the reasons – “there’s maybe another passenger who may have companion who is not shown on the upgrade list, and they MAY BE ahead of you because of their statuses.” I asked her about this unknown “secret list of invisible people with higher statues” and she said “yes, maybe, maybe...” As I don’t see it possible in ANY WAY and was already doubting her qualification, I just asked to remove myself from the upgrade list. After split a second, she said “all done Sir!” Well, needless to say that I remained on the upgrade list for another few hours until GA manually downgraded me from just cleared airport upgrade list.

The most disappointing thing that 2 pax who were initially after us on the list as numbers 4&5, both cleared to the first row J seats!

Did anyone encounter the same problem with upgrades on XN tickets for COMPANIONS as Infinite Card feature? Is there any way to avoid this problem?
Also - when you hear that phone agent is lying to you 100% - what's your advise? Besides trying a luck with another one after 30min waiting time..
Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.