Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Dsybok
Good god those look like the typical rock hard horrible CO coach seats. Please tell me I am wrong.
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Or r u always this negative? And the 787 seats are different then the ones found on the 737.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Mr. Smisek most likely was showing up on the Upgrade List but that probably wasn't supposed to happen.......... It's unfortunate they couldn't have pulled him off the UG list earlier to avoid all the criticism on here.
SHARES at work !!!

Originally Posted by 45YearsofFlying
On United 1510 ORD-IAH today. Mechanical delay of over one hour. Supposedly waiting on paperwork,
Not atypical. I recall the first few weeks on UA's 777s were going down in similar fashion.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Do you ever have anything positive to say? Or r u always this negative? And the 787 seats are different then the ones found on the 737.
Actually, what is the seat width (min/max)? and what other features make it different from other CO seats (shorthaul/longhaul) ?
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have never flow CO longhaul Y, and shorthaul Y once some 10 years ago.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I saw a few pictures, and people in Y look like sardines. UA should've gone 8 but they chose to pack them in. I'll stick to the 767 to cross the pond.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:12 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by 45YearsofFlying
On United 1510 ORD-IAH today. Mechanical delay of over one hour. Supposedly waiting on paperwork,
I heard it was overheated breaks.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:13 pm

Were there air nozzles on the UA 787?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:30 pm

Not sure to post this here or the delayed thread but -

The reason for the delay from ORD-IAH earlier today was because some people decided to take the safety catds off with them in the inbound. You can't fly without those. They had to get replacements.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Very narrow. Especially bulkheads, where you have the solid wider armrests that don't move and house the video monitors. I found seat padding pretty hard too. Bearable for the 2-3 hour domestic flights, but really too hard for the intended transoceanic flights.
Exactly what was predicted/feared (and that the apologists tried to dismiss). I'm sticking with the 767/777 as long as they're flying for intercontinental flights. Maybe the game their changing is passenger expectations of comfort: "look at the pretty lighting! look a the cool windows! pay no attention to the seat width behind the curtain".
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by sjbushido
Were there air nozzles on the UA 787?
Yes.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You're correct, unfortunately.
even more than width (I'm admittedly a smaller person) this is the trend that bothers me the most I am ALWAYS uncomfortable in longer flights on sCO planes than sUA planes (F or Y it doesn't matter - domestic). I can't stand flying longer flights with these planes.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
I flew on 11/4 ORD-IAH and then 11/5 back on 787 in BF.

The festivities in ORD was great on 11/4, but SMI/J did not want to talk to anyone! He kept trying to leave then just vanished.

As for the plane...

I was very disappointed. First flights we had two middle seats. When bed flat foot portion is very narrow. The width at shoulders is very narrow and length is small and I am 5' 9" and just fit it. Compared to UA new 747 C seats, I think they are worse, but they do have nice storage place!
The overhead storage bins are huge, but handles take a bit to get used to.
C Class bathrooms are big and nice. Toilet flushing system is different.

Coming back we were in window and aisle, not to find of window dimming switches. They do not go all the way dark and takes awhile. Both windows darken when you touch one, this is a big flaw.

The two separate C cabins are about the same. If you get a bulkhead in the rear cabin the foot compartment is MUCH bigger!

Taller cabin but seems narrow.

All and all ok, but not as impressive as I had hoped.

Just my 2 cents
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Koko
Both windows darken when you touch one, this is a big flaw.
Tomato/Tomato?

Most people I heard commenting on the windows appreciated that when you have two windows associated to your seat, changing controls on one window will impact both to simplify the setting of darkness you prefer.

I suppose if you wanted one dark and one not, you're therefore SOL.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
I was in 17F ORD-IAH today. Smi/J was in 17F on the IAH-ORD, so you can ask him his opinion too.

17F has good legroom (duh), the video monitor is on a swing arm on the right and raises to a comfortable angle. The power outlets are on the right side of the seats, so if you are plugging in there is a small chance that your cord can get into the aisle. For these two reasons (video arm and power location) 17D may be slightly better than 17F.

I did not sit in 16L, but it seemed to have good legroom. Not quite as good as 17, but still plenty for most people. The window is fun to play with.

You will be happy with either 17F or 16L. Happier still if you get into rows 1-6. Good luck.
Glad to hear that the center section of row 17 is bulkhead. I have a reservation from IAH -> AMS in March and they assigned me 17F, which looks like the best seat in Y. No business class seats assigned yet, but no upgrade inventory available either. Fingers crossed (again...). By the way,
SeatGuru shows the center row as 16, not 17.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:41 pm

I was in 17F ORD-IAH today. Smi/J was in 17F on the IAH-ORD, so you can ask him his opinion too.

17F has good legroom (duh), the video monitor is on a swing arm on the right and raises to a comfortable angle. The power outlets are on the right side of the seats, so if you are plugging in there is a small chance that your cord can get into the aisle. For these two reasons (video arm and power location) 17D may be slightly better than 17F.

I did not sit in 16L, but it seemed to have good legroom. Not quite as good as 17, but still plenty for most people. The window is fun to play with.

You will be happy with either 17F or 16L. Happier still if you get into rows 1-6. Good luck.
I should have known you were going to post when I saw your FT luggage tag! I was in 17D on the same flight. I'll admit that I was jealous when the flight attendants were telling you that Jeff was sitting in that seat on the way up. At least I was in the same row!

Regarding the power outlets - as you probably saw, the one for 17D (shared with 17E I'm assuming?) was on my right while my video monitor was on my left. I would say you're right about selecting 17D over F.

Also, although I'm usually not a fan of bulkhead because I don't like to use the overheads for the small items I usually put under the seat in front of me, there was plenty of room above me for my jacket, roller, laptop bag, and even the pillow and blanket.

Last edited by LMG0910; Nov 5, 2012 at 3:52 pm
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by lmg0910
I should have known you were going to post when I saw your FT luggage tag! I was in 17D on the same flight. I'll admit that I was jealous when the flight attendants were telling you that Jeff was sitting in that seat on the way up. At least I was in the same row!
Wow Wish you had identified yourself!

Regarding the power outlets - as you probably saw, the one for 17D (shared with 17E I'm assuming?) was on my right while my video monitor was on my left. I would say you're right about selecting 17D over F.
Power outlets are not shared. Each seat gets their own. I was actually using 17E's power outlet during boarding, so as to keep my wired away from the aisle as people walked by. All outlets seems to be to the right of the seats, so 17E's outlet is adjacent to 17F.

Regarding outlets... one more small difference. Non-bulkhead rows have a USB port by the video monitor, which allows to connect a player and presumably play your own audio and video through their system. Bulkhead seats seem to not have this feature (unless there is a USB port somewhere and I missed it).
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:08 pm

I thought the 787 was alright but definitely not game-changing from a passenger comfort perspective, although that probably will be more in its ability to open up routes. I think the windows don't get dark enough, although it looked like a couple of windows were darker so maybe the FAs have the ability to make the whole plane darker. The overhead space is nice, and the windows are definitely bigger but I think for international flights where the plane is dark for most of the trip it's not that big a deal. For what it's worth, all seats in row 1 and the middle seats in all BF rows have bigger foot cutouts than 2 A/B. I think I maybe noticed the lower altitude, hard to say especially on a short IAH to ORD flight. It looked cramped in economy. I would probably book a different plane for international economy trips, but it wouldn't be a completely obvious call either way. ...which is to say again that the 787 isn't all that special for passenger comfort.
...the champagne for the inflight toast was really bad but I guess it's still a good step up from normal domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.