Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone getting through the 1k line or any line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone getting through the 1k line or any line?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by flycal312
Since we've been comparing aa and ua of late, I think the following is extremely revealing:

- called ua line 5 times as a 1k, and each time given a busy signal and hung up on

- called aa line as an explat, and a dedicated explat rep answered within 15 seconds

This Tells me a lot about who I'm going to fly with next year if I want to actually speak to the airline that's getting my money!
This tells me a lot as to why they answer in a few seconds ---

DALLAS -- Flight cancelations have spiked at American Airlines, which is fighting with unhappy pilots, and the carrier will reduce flights at least partly because of staffing shortages.

American will cut its schedule for the rest of September and October by 1 to 2 percent due to "a number of factors" including an increase in pilots calling in sick and maintenance reports filed by flight crews, said airline spokesman Bruce Hicks.

American canceled more flights on Sunday and Monday than any other airline, according to flight-tracking services.

AND THIS WAS BEFORE THE STORM!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
My husband called the 1K line around 8:30 am EST today about a canceled flight and his call was answered on the first ring.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This 1K got through to an agent immediately last night and a GS agent at that.

I have been very pleased with the phone agents in my dealings the last few weeks and hope it keeps up.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:00 am

Amazing how petty and incredibly over-entitled frequent flyers can be. You would think you're trying to get through to 911, whose call center is also inundated. This weather system is not typical. It threatens 60 million people up and down the eastern seaboard. United canceled over 1500 flights on account of having two major hubs in Washington and NY in the path of the hurricane (more than American, more than Delta, more than any other airline). Did they have to cancel them all -- probably not, but they did so in the spirit of safety. Not just in terms of flight safety, but for the safety of their customers who would otherwise have to subject themselves to perilous weather getting to the airport. They did so because they care about their customers.

The phone lines are clogged as a result. If you can't handle this, then you're simply unreasonable. I think United would do better if (the ones who threaten to leave United because they can't get through) would in fact leave. Such jerks.

Last edited by iker; Oct 28, 2012 at 9:01 am Reason: correction
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by glasnost7
I got through in seconds last night, though I was greeted with "premier line" instead of "1K line." Still, I imagine Sandy has the lines jammed at the moment.
I've yet to call the 1K line and actually talk to a 1K agent. Every time I've called them since 3/3, I get the premier line. One time the premier agent asked if I wouldn't mind holding while she checked with the "1K desk." I guess the "desk" still exists, but we aren't allowed to speak with them directly.

Given the panic surrounding Sandy, I'm not surprised hold times are high. When the weather geeks get free gangway on which to stir up gloom and doom, one can't blame United.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by halls120
I've yet to call the 1K line and actually talk to a 1K agent. Every time I've called them since 3/3, I get the premier line. One time the premier agent asked if I wouldn't mind holding while she checked with the "1K desk." I guess the "desk" still exists, but we aren't allowed to speak with them directly.

Given the panic surrounding Sandy, I'm not surprised hold times are high. When the weather geeks get free gangway on which to stir up gloom and doom, one can't blame United.
Agreed. I waited once last night for 1hr10 minutes before giving up because people were in the other room waiting for me so they could start watching a movie. Hopped on another call a few hours later. Waited for 3+ hours before my phone died. Now on hold for just over an hour and will probably be on hold for some time to come.

I'm not upset with United. And it does little good to get upset at the hurricane. People can either get upset or stay calm and content. Getting upset doesn't change the outcome of having to wait so what good does getting upset do? And being upset and taking your frustration out on the poor schmuck who answers your call only makes you a jerk. So what's the point?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Tried the premier line 4-5 times this morning about my cancelled flight for tonight back to EWR and the auto part picked up and identified me by name but when transfer to a "real" person just got a busy signal. Booked on Southwest now into BWI and then Amtrak or car rental back to EWR.....lots of fun. Oh did any of you get my email notice on my cancelled flight? I did not get it.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1k
2 minutes for me, half an hour ago.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by pterosaur
2 minutes for me, half an hour ago.
congrats
genuinely happy for you.
i suppose the long wait will make the result more precious.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA with hubs at EWR and IAD is likely the most impacted of the four major carriers (although US at PHL is pretty bad off). AA is likely the least impacted with MIA in the past and DFW tucked away in Texas.

If you are having a heart attack and waiting for 30 minutes to get through to 911, that's bad.

If you have a 3-hour hold to reschedule a flight which won't go until Thursday, that's called a first-world problem.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I thought the 1k line was toast, and its a Premier line now for all elites?

Werent the agents instructed to answer the phone "1K line" to fluff the egos of 1K's - after seeing their status when one enters their MP number before an agent picks up.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I thought the 1k line was toast, and its a Premier line now?
It seems there is a premier line but 1Ks get priority over other elites. So this is a bit of semantics. The agents I have reach have all been helpful. Some agent answer "1K desk", some don't.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It seems there is a premier line but 1Ks get priority over other elites. So this is a bit of semantics. The agents I have reach have all been helpful. Some agent answer "1K desk", some don't.
In my experinece most of them do not say 1k desk. It leaves the impression that you have not been given any priority which is probably the case anyhow. They could at least pretend and give us the illusion that they still care.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
They could at least pretend and give us the illusion that they still care.
They do, they answer "1K desk" when they see the status displayed on their screens
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by ficklepickles
If you can stomach a call to a United call center in an int'l location, you can get through.

I had zero luck getting through here in the States, wife got through a United rep in Japan easily.
I have called reservations centers in several overseas locations. I can't get an through to an agent at any of the places I tried. UK, Japan, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.