Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chance IAD-SFO/SFO-IAD (B777)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:36 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
1) travelers are required to book the lowest contract fare, which in IADLAX is not a YCA
However, there are certainly city pairs for which YCA is cheapest and which connect IAD-LAX-xxx. @:-)

Originally Posted by Often1
UG's are not being slaughtered. What's being slaightered are CPU's. With a bit of picking & choosing I have yet to have a problem booking directly into F with an -UP fare.
I have had very good luck with instruments this year, though careful route/date/equipment selection. CPUs, not so much so; yes, CPUs are being slaughtered, but no, u/gs are not.

Unfortunately, I will have significantly less instruments next year thanks to the changes to RPU earnings--though I suppose I can use miles.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
However, there are certainly city pairs for which YCA is cheapest and which connect IAD-LAX-xxx. @:-)

Examples? Because lately I am finding instances where that is no longer the case or it restricts connections. I think that either UA is pricing out markets individually or their pricing dept is sitting on their hands. Because case in point I was looking at ORFCLD and it gave me ORFORD in Y, ORDLAX in W, and LAXCLD in W. I've also noticed that in about 20+ markets I have looked at UA doesn't even match the contract carrier anymore. The CO strategy was don't bid on contract pairs, match OA. I'm wondering if the new strategy is only bid on contract pairs, dont match OA. Which in my opinion is stupid. SANPHL is $500 OW....on a non DG fare its about $430 RT. If they are losing money its not on the matched fares.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm Reason: fix html
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:39 pm

Question Upgrade Chance IAD-SFO/SFO-IAD (B777)

In a 3-class configuration B777 (12 First, 49 Business) between IAD and SFO,
how is the chance for Gold Premier to get upgrade?
11/29 Thu. 5:15-8:00pm IAD-SFO
12/8 Sat. 7:50am-3:41pm SFO-IAD
BTW, any idea for better upgrade chance than these flights?

Thank you all experts in advance.

jay
Old Oct 20, 2012, 4:43 pm

Via instrument or CPU?

For the latter, almost 0.

The Saturday flight will be easier IMHO either way.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:40 pm

Yes, it is CPU.

Will IAD-DEN-SFO give a better chance?
Thanks again.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by jjwang
Will IAD-DEN-SFO give a better chance?
Thanks again.
IMHO, not much. I've cleared IAD-SFO more recently via CPU than IAD-DEN. At least you have the widebody and more seats on IAD-SFO.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
And we know this how? Because as it has been said time and time again:

1) travelers are required to book the lowest contract fare, which in IADLAX is not a YCA
No longer true. In my department, we are required to book the lowest available fare, and that includes penalty fares.

the "govies are taking all the upgrades with YCA fares" urban legend is just that - a legend.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:54 pm

Thx, exerda. Will settle in E+ :)

Originally Posted by exerda
IMHO, not much. I've cleared IAD-SFO more recently via CPU than IAD-DEN. At least you have the widebody and more seats on IAD-SFO.
Appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.