FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Upgrade Chance IAD-SFO/SFO-IAD (B777) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1399452-upgrade-chance-iad-sfo-sfo-iad-b777.html)

mallodi Aug 29, 2012 7:03 pm

CPU Chances on IAD-LAX 777 TCON

So I'll be flying on Sat, 8 SEP on the IAD-LAX 777 service. I was wondering what people's experiences were in landing a CPU post 3/3 on this route. I'm a Gold flying on a K fare, so it'd be 20k miles to upgrade. Since it's my birthday I don't want to sit in the back, and for a C seat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't mind a birthday gift from UA if possible.

My current thoughts are to wait until my t-48 window, and if I don't get a CPU, throw myself on the waitlist w/ miles.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

milesunited Aug 29, 2012 7:16 pm

udustats.com can give you some insight.

As a reference, I recently purchased a ticket @ T-4 days from IAD-LAX (1K on S fare), flight on a Tuesday, upgraded at T-24 hours. Four J seats empty but likely due to UA systemwide glitch.

DWFI Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

As a Gold on a K fare? Pretty much 0% I'd say.

In The 216 Aug 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Unless MP miles are burning a hole in your wallet I don't think it's worth 20K for the upgrade.

tann1001 Aug 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Given the number of C seats on that aircraft, you'd think that it is a good shot at the upgrade. However, in my experience it can be very tough to get. As a 1k, I've missed it several times.

chinatraderjmr Aug 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Why don't you see what the buy up cost is first before using miles. You probably have a buy up offer now but it will change 10 times before departure. I think the regular buy up I've seen for trans cons is around $400 but it might go down.

mh3265a Aug 30, 2012 6:36 am

I would use your miles and upgrade. Checking UDUStats.com is OK but I'm not sure folks have been updating it as much as they have in the past. As a 1K I used always get UDU'd but since 3/3 those rates have come down substantial. Use the instrument to move yourself up in the upgrade queue.

avidflyer Aug 30, 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by mallodi (Post 19219540)
So I'll be flying on Sat, 8 SEP on the IAD-LAX 777 service. I was wondering what people's experiences were in landing a CPU post 3/3 on this route. I'm a Gold flying on a K fare, so it'd be 20k miles to upgrade. Since it's my birthday I don't want to sit in the back, and for a C seat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't mind a birthday gift from UA if possible.

My current thoughts are to wait until my t-48 window, and if I don't get a CPU, throw myself on the waitlist w/ miles.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.

In my estimation on a Saturday you do have a very good shot. There was a HUGE glut of instruments out there that were skewing the UDU numbers. There are still a bunch but not nearly what there was earlier in the year. I have seen PremExecs getting that particular upgrade quite a lot lately. I flew 3 weeks ago on that route and I got the UG at the window and my 2 travel companions (each on his/her own ticket and both Gold) got it at the gate with about 15 others. It was kind of a zoo as they all went up to get their new BPs. UDUs are always a risk but on that AC I would take it. It is not that bad in the back if you get a good seat and it is NOT worth 20K to upgrade in my opinion. Your mileage may of course vary.

AvidFlyer-

FlyinHawaiian Aug 30, 2012 7:50 am

I flew UA967 this past Saturday and used a RPU, which cleared at booking (a few months out). I ran into a 1K friend of mine on the flight who had cleared using CPU/UDU. F and C were 100% full and Y had a few empties.

mallodi Aug 30, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thanks especially to those of you who shared their recent experiences.

I think I'm going to play the CPU lottery. I can't really justify 20k miles when those could really help towards another trip. If I get the CPU it will be a nice birthday gift from UA, and if not, I'll have to make sure I bring some drink chits with me. :)

Thanks again.

garykung Aug 30, 2012 12:30 pm

OP - you should hope that will not do a 777 music chair that UA swaps a domestic 777.

UA-NYC Aug 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 19222012)
In my estimation on a Saturday you do have a very good shot. There was a HUGE glut of instruments out there that were skewing the UDU numbers. There are still a bunch but not nearly what there was earlier in the year.

The glut of instruments will last all the way through this year, as all legacy 1Ks (not new 1Ks last year) were earning RPUs in both the "old" and "new" ways.

Starting in Jan, not looking forward to the thought of relying on CPU all the time w/o hardly any RPUs. AA, however, hmmm....

flyingmusicianlax Aug 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I've not cleared this route on this equipment post 3/3. TONS of YCA discount fares into and out of IAD usually means R availability is scarce 4 days out...

Originally Posted by mallodi:19223135
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thanks especially to those of you who shared their recent experiences.

I think I'm going to play the CPU lottery. I can't really justify 20k miles when those could really help towards another trip. If I get the CPU it will be a nice birthday gift from UA, and if not, I'll have to make sure I bring some drink chits with me. :)

Thanks again.

If you don't get the CPU on the IPTE version, be sure to check for open seats in the middle of the back of E+. Those are flight attendant rest seats that are open to passengers on domestic flights. Lots of extra legroom and even a footrest to boot!

channa Aug 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 19223863)
The glut of instruments will last all the way through this year, as all legacy 1Ks (not new 1Ks last year) were earning RPUs in both the "old" and "new" ways.

Yes, but that's somewhat tempered with the many 1Ks who have left.

UA-NYC Aug 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 19223925)
Yes, but that's somewhat tempered with the many 1Ks who have left.

You have ABSOLUTELY no proof that that is the case. SAME goes for GS. SHOW me the data otherwise I don't believe it.

;)