Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii First Class seating options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:26 pm

The daily 764 flight to/from SFO (72/73?) is lie flat configured with 39 seats up front. The 764s out of IAD and EWR will also be in that config on any given day.

DRW
Old Jan 8, 2014, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by doobierw
The daily 764 flight to/from SFO (72/73?) is lie flat configured with 39 seats up front. The 764s out of IAD and EWR will also be in that config on any given day.

DRW
Not sure what this means. UA only flies one 764 configuration, the 39/70/133 sCO version.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure what this means. UA only flies one 764 configuration, the 39/70/133 sCO version.
It means exactly that. On any given day/every day/every flight, if you fly a 764 it will have lie flat seats!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
None to HNL out of ORD.
Strictly speaking this is not 100% accurate. During peak holiday periods, UA has been known to run 744s on this route. Friends of mine who booked months in advance saw their flight was indeed a 744...and it actually ended up flying the route on that day. It's a rare occurrence, but at least historically they have been scheduled to fly ORD-HNL once in a while.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Hoping UA218...the non stop from HNL to ORD gets converted as a good night sleep on the read eye would be wonderful!
HIGHLY unlikely that this route gets a lie-flat regularly scheduled. Almost zero chance.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by as219
Strictly speaking this is not 100% accurate. During peak holiday periods, UA has been known to run 744s on this route. Friends of mine who booked months in advance saw their flight was indeed a 744...and it actually ended up flying the route on that day. It's a rare occurrence, but at least historically they have been scheduled to fly ORD-HNL once in a while.
I'm talking "regularly scheduled", just as you'll very rarely see an int'l 752 heading to Maui from LAX. You can't count on it, though.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Thanks for all the help...guess we'll either have to fly through SFO on the way out, or just deal with the antiquated equipment. I'm really puzzled why UA wouldn't upgrade their planes for the ORD-HNL ~8 hour flight?!?!?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I believe weekly services from DEN-OGG/LIH with sCO 757-200s (with flat beds) are in the schedule this summer.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Im flying on the 764 into HNL and then taking HA for 5K to OGG , back its HA to HNL then the 777. To me its worth the 10k to avoid the 737s and 757s, now had the 757s been ps planes that would be something else
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for all the help...guess we'll either have to fly through SFO on the way out, or just deal with the antiquated equipment. I'm really puzzled why UA wouldn't upgrade their planes for the ORD-HNL ~8 hour flight?!?!?
They are, but they are "upgrading" to recliners and wifi-based entertainment.

We can question the analysis that led them to believe that this would be viewed as a sufficient upgrade from domestic F seating, but not their intent.

BTW, I see recliners as something of a plus for day flights because I suspect they might seem more roomy than lie-flats, but I will wait to see what people who've actually sat in them say. Generally, I have found dedicated (airline) seats more comfortable than seats that convert to beds.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Yields and competition.

When ORD-HNL starts fetching the same fares as IAH-LHR (also an ~8hr flight), and there's competition with lie flats, you may see lie flats.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mduell
Yields and competition.

When ORD-HNL starts fetching the same fares as IAH-LHR (also an ~8hr flight), and there's competition with lie flats, you may see lie flats.
Then why does IAH - HNL have lie flats? It's only 339 miles shorter than the ORD route.

"Yields" would explain why Hawaii routes in general do not see the same kind of soft or hard product that true TPAC and TATL routes have but do not explain a difference between ORD/IAH to Hawaii routes.

"Competition" wouldn't explain it either as AA flies ORD - HNL seasonally.

Of note, AA also flies lie-flats on ORD/DFW-HNL and DFW - OGG on their 763s (although they are angled).

That being said, it's pretty obvious that there's just not much money to be made on true premium service to Hawaii - there's a small market for it, but not a large one.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
Then why does IAH - HNL have lie flats? It's only 339 miles shorter than the ORD route.
Mostly fleet utilization today; in the long term the plan is that it will not.

EWR/IAD will see those seats because of range issues on the "islands" config planes.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
Far lower volume market and UA has a dearth of equipment to match the volume. Subfleets complicate things and are only worth it when you can have enough in a subfleet (like the 9 Hawaii 777s) to make it work efficiently.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA will be flying an int'l 752 LIH-LAX on selected dates in 2014. Check UA1134 on 2/22 and UA1219 on 3/1. A $1747 A/P fare, which is a very low price for UA on a Hawaii route. They typically charge over three grand for a 737 with a recliner seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.