Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does Same Day flight change work for award tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Same Day flight change work for award tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am a 1K traveling on miles booked from my wife's non-1K account. If I want to do a same day change, do I have to pay the $75 SDC fee?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I am a 1K traveling on miles booked from my wife's non-1K account. If I want to do a same day change, do I have to pay the $75 SDC fee?
No. You never did, but before the rules about trips inheriting the status of the account from which the miles came changed, you had to call and have them manually do it. This may be the first real "benefit" of the rule change - now you are you all along, no matter the source of the miles.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
You don't have to pay SDC but WOW you're the first I heard that benefited from UA's new "devaluation"
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
For a 1K sponsored award ticket, does same day even matter at all? I was under the impression that 1K sponsored award tickets have no fees whatsoever for ticketing actions.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Interestingly, website wanted to charge me $75 to SDC so I called in. The agent said that I had to pay $75 to SDC because the itinerary was booked with non-1K miles. After minimal convincing, she agreed to waive the fee since I was 1k.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmculp
No. You never did, but before the rules about trips inheriting the status of the account from which the miles came changed, you had to call and have them manually do it. This may be the first real "benefit" of the rule change - now you are you all along, no matter the source of the miles.
Award ticketing and change fees have always been based on status of the account the miles came from.

This did not change April 15.

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
Interestingly, website wanted to charge me $75 to SDC so I called in. The agent said that I had to pay $75 to SDC because the itinerary was booked with non-1K miles. After minimal convincing, she agreed to waive the fee since I was 1k.
Interesting intersection between SDC rules (free for 1K) and award ticketing rules (based on account miles came from). Glad to hear you got it waived.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
You want to change the award, not SDC. SDC is for UA operated flights only.

Award change fees apply (assuming award inventory is available on your desired flights). $100 per ticket for changes within 21 days of travel.

Whether a partner will allow you to standby for another flight, with or without a fee, is entirely up to the partner.
If I booked a ticket on UA with partner airline miles, is SDC allowed?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1353513636
If I booked a ticket on UA with partner airline miles, is SDC allowed?
The very first published term and condition is:
The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
Same Day Change

You might be able to get a GA to let you standby for free at the airport, but it's outside the rules.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
The very first published term and condition is:
The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
Be very careful, as I learned this the hard way. I attempted to do a SDC on UA-operated flights on an OZ ticket. The UA computer system allowed me to make the change but bombed out on the last step (reissuing the ticket). I called UA, and they had to put me back onto my original flights -- UA couldn't reissue the ticket because it wasn't on their stock.

So, even though the website might appear to let you do an SDC for tickets not issued by UA, Kacee is absolutely right -- you definitely cannot do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.