FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Does Same Day flight change work for award tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1396686-does-same-day-flight-change-work-award-tickets.html)

lixiaojuventus Oct 12, 2012 12:12 am

Does Same Day flight change work for award tickets?

I thought this might have been discussed before, but did not find it. Can someone confirm if one can do same-day flight change on an award ticket? My first thought is not, but it's better to make sure:D

777boy Oct 12, 2012 1:55 am

I'm pretty sure it works just as it would for a revenue ticket: you have to have your fare class (e.g., X) available. If your fare class is not available, you should also be able to standby at the airport.

lixiaojuventus Oct 12, 2012 7:01 am

Good to know! Thanks a lot!

bwg03 Dec 13, 2012 9:53 am

Award Travel Changes *G

I will be hitting *G Saturday. Can I change an award flight to another time when I get to the airport?

I know they allow same day changes but was not sure on award travel..

Long Zhiren Dec 13, 2012 10:51 am

Originally Posted by bwg03 (Post 19849783)
I will be hitting *G Saturday. Can I change an award flight to another time when I get to the airport?

I know they allow same day changes but was not sure on award travel..

Yes, assuming a seat is available on another flight. UA Gold makes it easy in that respect. I don't know if random *G makes it as easy though.
I miss the CO ability to have a 24-day change so you can go out the previous calendar day.

aacharya Dec 13, 2012 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 19850175)
Yes, assuming a seat is available on another flight. UA Gold makes it easy in that respect. I don't know if random *G makes it as easy though.
I miss the CO ability to have a 24-hour change so you can go out the previous calendar day.

*G does not help at all.

Also if you are flying Saturday, how are you sure *G/Gold will post by then?

As for previous calendar day - you can do that. Just not exactly at T-24. Nothing 'new' or 'old' CO about it.

Long Zhiren Dec 13, 2012 11:08 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 19850235)
As for previous calendar day - you can do that. Just not exactly at T-24. Nothing 'new' or 'old' CO about it.

Could you please explain that? Thanks.
I used to do it somewhat often at T-24.
This year, I tried to do it on several occasions and was told that I can no longer do it on the previous calendar day. Some leftover PMCO gate agents mistakenly thought that I could still do it, but on phoning into premier support line, was informed that this practice is no longer supported. PMUA agents don't seem cognizant of the practice. Because CO used to do it, security still routinely lets you through with a boarding pass for the next calendar day, to try to go stand-by on the present day's flights. But because it's not to be done anymore, it's getting clamped down on now.

aacharya Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 19850282)
This year, I tried to do it on several occasions and was told that I can no longer do it on the previous calendar day. Some leftover PMCO gate agents mistakenly thought that I could still do it, but on phoning into premier support line, was informed that this practice is no longer supported. PMUA agents don't seem cognizant of the practice. Because CO used to do it, security still routinely lets you through with a boarding pass for the next calendar day, to try to go stand-by on the present day's flights. But because it's not to be done anymore, it's getting clamped down on now.

I've checked in at T-24 for my flight, and been offered a flight the same day (at night) via same day change - so approximately 12 hours before my original flight.

It all depends on if the fare class is open.

jkburns1 Dec 13, 2012 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren (Post 19850282)

I believe the confusion here for you may be fare class.

If fare class is open you can do it at T-24 as I have several times. However if fare class is not open you cannot be put on stand-by until same calendar day as flight.

To original question on award tix I have done several SDC's with award tix.

Mike Jacoubowsky Dec 25, 2012 11:41 pm

So for a same-day change on a saver award ticket, let's say International if it makes a difference, there would have to be space available in the saver award bucket? But if a standard award ticket, any bucket, since standard award tickets are available as long as there are seats on the plane?

Thanks!

QBK Dec 26, 2012 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 19920940)
So for a same-day change on a saver award ticket, let's say International if it makes a difference, there would have to be space available in the saver award bucket? But if a standard award ticket, any bucket, since standard award tickets are available as long as there are seats on the plane?

Thanks!

Standard awards book into YN (for elites and CC holders with last-seat access; others only get HN), so I expect you'd need YN availability. Which should be there whenever there are seats.

shadowsjc Aug 14, 2014 12:18 pm

bump - I am looking to fly on an award ticket to LAS on Labor day weekend. My outbound flight has saver economy availability, but it is an evening flight, which means I wouldn't get to LAS until late (waste of a day).

If I book this flight, and then wake up really early the day of my flight, would I stand a good chance at doing a SDC to an earlier flight? Hopefully at no additional cost? I am United Gold.

eap Aug 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by shadowsjc (Post 23364071)
If I book this flight, and then wake up really early the day of my flight, would I stand a good chance at doing a SDC to an earlier flight? Hopefully at no additional cost? I am United Gold.

You have a chance, but I would not call it a good chance, given the holiday weekend. Start checking at 24 hours before your departure, and keep checking. Day of, you can head to the airport early and request standard stand-by. (You may want to gauge your chances by seeing how full the flights are first, but even then, I have had good luck with people failing to catch their early morning flights. =)

rj123456 Mar 31, 2015 5:34 pm

SDC on partner awards?

Originally Posted by shadowsjc (Post 23364071)
bump - I am looking to fly on an award ticket to LAS on Labor day weekend. My outbound flight has saver economy availability, but it is an evening flight, which means I wouldn't get to LAS until late (waste of a day).

1. I am NOT a United gold and wonder what the fees are for on SDC for an award ticket. More precisely, can I do a same day standby if inventory exists in the same class of service, without a fee?
2. Can standby be done on PARTNER awards?
3. Finally (getting greedy!) if 2 is true, can you do an standby from one partner to another? I have an award ticket OGG-HNL-LIH (on Island Air) that if possible I would like to change to Hawaiian's nonstop OGG-LIH service.

Kacee Mar 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by rj123456 (Post 24597307)
1. I am NOT a United gold and wonder what the fees are for on SDC for an award ticket. More precisely, can I do a same day standby if inventory exists in the same class of service, without a fee?
2. Can standby be done on PARTNER awards?
3. Finally (getting greedy!) if 2 is true, can you do an standby from one partner to another? I have an award ticket OGG-HNL-LIH (on Island Air) that if possible I would like to change to Hawaiian's nonstop OGG-LIH service.

You want to change the award, not SDC. SDC is for UA operated flights only.

Award change fees apply (assuming award inventory is available on your desired flights). $100 per ticket for changes within 21 days of travel.

Whether a partner will allow you to standby for another flight, with or without a fee, is entirely up to the partner.