Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any ideas when UA.com won't replicate a price found on ITA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

For the a three-segment itin later this month (it's one of those that actually requires three segments), ITA has the itin at $260; UA.com has it at $315. No manipulating I do with multi-segment options will get it to match $260. Same fare buckets showing available. Is this just One Of Those Things that don't have an answer?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Originally Posted by cblaisd
For the a three-segment itin later this month (it's one of those that actually requires three segments), ITA has the itin at $260; UA.com has it at $315. No manipulating I do with multi-segment options will get it to match $260. Same fare buckets showing available. Is this just One Of Those Things that don't have an answer?
I had the same issue awhile back...I called to try to get the fare, but was told that the booking class was not being offered.

I understand that ITA maybe quoting the price, but UA has to be offering that particular booking class. This can be due to the popularity of the routing and etc....just because the booking class is available, does not mean that it can be priced out and bought.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Sometimes I have this problem and I try Orbitz/Expedia and they'll price it out.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antipode
Sometimes I have this problem and I try Orbitz/Expedia and they'll price it out.
Meant to add, want to use an e-cert so am hoping to figure out if there is any way to get UA.com to match ITA.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Meant to add, want to use an e-cert so am hoping to figure out if there is any way to get UA.com to match ITA.
You might try something I've done lately, which is
  • represent the exact trip I want using the ITA route language, e.g. from xxx:: ua123 ua456 to: yyy:: ua789,
  • look up that exact itinerary on hipmunk.com, which accepts ITA route language and books directly on united.com,
  • assuming Hipmunk finds and prices the trip (legal but unusual connection, no phantom availability discrepancy between ITA/UA) click through from hipmunk to united.com's purchase page,
  • put the reservation on hold with "ticket by phone",
  • call United Web Support and ask to use an e-cert on a trip that's on hold.[/QUOTE]

My experience has been that if ITA says a UA fare is legit, and if the availability is still there, you can coax the united.com reservation engine to price the trip only by using intermediaries (kayak is very crude, hipmunk is a bit more refined).

You might also just call Web Support directly and tell them the flights you are trying to book and the fare you want and they may be able to take care of you. "Hang up and try again if it doesn't work."

Happy to experiment if you can't make this work -- feel free to PM me your itinerary if you'd like.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

You have a PM

Originally Posted by mherdeg
You might try something I've done lately, which is
Worked beautifully. Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.