Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

best option for flight Germany --> USA (upgrades, old vs. new config)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond

I have a flight coming up in a few weeks returning from Germany to the US. I will fly in a Y class ticket and am 1K. I have no GPUs left so would try to upgrade using miles.

I am considering two options - one departing from MUC and the other from FRA.

The MUC flight (old config 777-200) is currently showing C9. The FRA flight (new config 777-200) is showing C6. R is not presently available on either flight.

What to do, what to do? I know the old config seats are not nearly as comfortable as the lie-flats, but also know that the aircraft are sometimes swapped out at the last minute. I assume that I'd probably have higher chance of upgrading on the MUC flight since more C seats are available to be sold at this point. Schedule-wise, the MUC flight is slightly superior, but not by much.

Any words of wisdom here?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:45 pm

C6 (the FRA flight) sounds precarious to me. C9 (the MUC flight) sounds better.

One thing to note: the LH Senator lounges in MUC are much nicer than those in FRA. So, if you'll have a bit of time at the airport before the flight, this may factor in to your decision.

For me the important part would not be the lie flat seat in it of itself, since Germany-US flights are day flights and I don't usually sleep much anyway on those, but the much better entertainment system on the lie flat configured planes. I assume the food would be the same on both. One benefit to the old config may be that if you do get stuck in economy, you may be able to take advantage of the 2 set of seats by the windows.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by 777boy
C6 (the FRA flight) sounds precarious to me. C9 (the MUC flight) sounds better.
Agreed.

It's not clear whether you're actually booking full fare Y or just an ordinary coach ticket. If you're in full Y, you might have a chance on the FRA flight, but that's not without risk.

If business class of any kind is crucial to you, I'd skim the various European gateways you might be able to fly to, find some R space, and connect from there. (Of course, life was a lot easier when BD was still in *A and UA flew to CPH on its own metal, but I digress.) I'll happily take the risk of old config C over coach any day.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Just flew ewr-muc and back on the old config.
My advice is take the fra flight.

In the past I have had better ug experience from muc, and this is octoberfest so that played a role, but the old config really sucks.
If you don't get the ug, the newer config is much better.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Thanks all. I hadn't thought about the old config IFE setup - that's definitely an argument against the MUC option.

I will be able to purchase a full fare Y ticket. I generally prefer to transit MUC instead of FRA (not quite such a zoo) but again, that old config option is causing me to hesitate a bit here.

Appreciate the advice here.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Stay away from the old-config. Go with FRA and the new-config, the AVOD in Y makes all the difference if your upgrade doesn't go through. Only downside to new-config is the Y seat is not as padded as the old-config. If you have a fullfare Y, you can always change your FRA flight around if R space opens up on one of the three UA flights.

Also, since you are using miles, it mat be worthwhile to get a star alliance upgrade and fly on LH or LX...of ocurse, ths only works if you are allowed to buy a ticket on another airline...though there are codeshares that may qualify.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by davemflyer
Just flew ewr-muc and back on the old config.
My advice is take the fra flight.

In the past I have had better ug experience from muc, and this is octoberfest so that played a role, but the old config really sucks.
If you don't get the ug, the newer config is much better.
Just flew ewr-muc on the new config and was upgraded 48 hrs out. Had watched for R availability for 2+months with no luck prior to booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.