Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PQM/PQS "carried forward" (rollover) to the next year??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PQM/PQS "carried forward" (rollover) to the next year??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum 100, UA Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, AVIS First, Global Entry
No they should not

No, UA should not consider this. This will make it too easy to requalify for premier status and if everyone is premier status, then no one is premier status.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Most years I fly around 40k miles. Never enough to make Gold. I always thought it would be nice for UA to acknowledge those of us who continue to fly UA after we hit 25k/Silver Status even though we'll never make Gold. Or for miles flown after reaching Gold but falling short of Platinum.
I could easily, once I've secured UA Silver, switch to Delta, for example, to pump up miles with that carrier. Even if UA gave us half credit for our 'extra' miles to carry over toward next year's status, it would be a nice perk.

I am now told by a friend that DL does exactly that. She had over 13k miles carry over from 2012 that were applied to her 2013 status. Instead of starting with zero status miles on January 1 she started with 13k miles in the bank that were excess miles after she achieved her status rank but fell short of the next tier.
That's a great incentive for status achieving customers to continue to fly DL, rather than switching carriers once their desired Status level is reached.

UA ought to consider that.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:18 pm

United PQM Rollover For New Users

Hey there,

I signed up for United Mileage Plus in June 2013. At the time, I thought that I read somewhere on United's website that said my PQMs would be counted for the rest of the year after I joined and the following year (e.g. my counting would then end in December 2014). I definitely booked more than a few flights on this assumption.

My PQM reset with the new year, and I can't find anything talking about rollover for new members, but I'm almost positive I read it somewhere. Did this used to be the policy and they recently changed it, or did I misread something?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by keefertaylor
Hey there,

I signed up for United Mileage Plus in June 2013. At the time, I thought that I read somewhere on United's website that said my PQMs would be counted for the rest of the year after I joined and the following year (e.g. my counting would then end in December 2014). I definitely booked more than a few flights on this assumption.

My PQM reset with the new year, and I can't find anything talking about rollover for new members, but I'm almost positive I read it somewhere. Did this used to be the policy and they recently changed it, or did I misread something?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to FT.

PQM have never rolled over. Not sure where you read what you thought you read, but...sorry.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by keefertaylor
Hey there,

Thanks in advance.
You PQM would never roll over on the New Year Day. However, whatever premier elite level you earned from between June 2013 and DEC 31, 2013 is rollover to year 2014. Think of it this way, if you obtain Gold status on NOV 1st, you would enjoy two extra month of GOLD benefit for the remaining two months in year 2013. Hope this doesn't confuse you more :-).
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lax2010
You PQM would never roll over on the New Year Day. However, whatever premier elite level you earned from between June 2013 and DEC 31, 2013 is rollover to year 2014. Think of it this way, if you obtain Gold status on NOV 1st, you would enjoy two extra month of GOLD benefit for the remaining two months in year 2013. Hope this doesn't confuse you more :-).
Yes this is probably what you're thinking. If you earned status in 2013, it's good all the way to January 31, 2015.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
If you qualify for silver, gold, platinum or 1k status in mid of a year, that status will be valid for the rest of the year and whole following year. PQM/PQS will reset at the beginning of new calendar year.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
"Dear MileagePlus Service Center,

Something very embarrassing has happened. I misunderstood the rules for PQM accrual, and believed that PQMs acquired in my first calendar year of membership would "roll over" into the second year, and I made my travel plans on that assumption. After Jan. 1, I learned that I was wrong. I am writing to request a challenge to obtain [Silver/Gold/Platinum] status quickly at the beginning of this year, to enjoy on the many trips I will be making on United throughout this year. I am committed to using United for most of my travel, but this token of appreciation on account of my mistake will help make the decision to fly United even easier for me when there is a significant price or schedule difference.

Sincerely,

keefertaylor"
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
"Dear MileagePlus Service Center,

Something very embarrassing has happened. I misunderstood the rules for PQM accrual, and believed that PQMs acquired in my first calendar year of membership would "roll over" into the second year, and I made my travel plans on that assumption. After Jan. 1, I learned that I was wrong. I am writing to request a challenge to obtain [Silver/Gold/Platinum] status quickly at the beginning of this year, to enjoy on the many trips I will be making on United throughout this year. I am committed to using United for most of my travel, but this token of appreciation on account of my mistake will help make the decision to fly United even easier for me when there is a significant price or schedule difference.

Sincerely,

keefertaylor"
+1 ^

How about asking for a challenge to 1K? :-)
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lax2010
+1 ^

How about asking for a challenge to 1K? :-)

Probs ain't gonna happen.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc

Probs ain't gonna happen.
No harm for trying :-).
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Critic
Welcome to FT.

PQM have never rolled over. Not sure where you read what you thought you read, but...sorry.
A strong argument - all else being equal - to move to Delta as they do roll over miles.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: MANY
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
A strong argument - all else being equal - to move to Delta as they do roll over miles.
But one cannot be eligible for roll-over if he/she has not qualified for any elite status.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Also I think BA have a year that starts when you join (so my qual year runs 1 July to 31 June).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.