Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I'm the sucker that paid for my UA "business first" seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm the sucker that paid for my UA "business first" seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I wrote UA back and they replied within a few hours confirming that both me and my husband would be receiving 10,000 miles. Obviously, the response was generic, but what was impressive was the response time and the responsiveness.

For now, this is enough to keep us with UA - but try the *A international partners for TATL.

Not such a bad ending, all things considered.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
10K miles is roughly equivalent to $150-$200 -- seems a little weak
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
In the U.S. most General Aviation waiting rooms are perfectly fine but hardly luxurious..some leatherette chairs, a fridge with a few Snapple and Minute Maid orange juices...

As far a couple flying in a GV, sure it's great, but that's already serious $$$$...

For an experience that is comparable in cost to int'l F per person, you'd be looking at more people in a smaller plane.

By the time you get to a Lear, it's quite cramped.
A Lear is not made for TATL travel. I don't normally fly private. The few times I have it's been as the guest of one of my suppliers in Dubai. But the ONE time I splurged in my life for private was for me & my GF going from SJD (Cabo) up to L.A. it was a Lear & yes, it was nice to leave on our own time & not deal w all the airport crap but once we were back in L.A., I wish we had flown UA & I had my money back in my pocket
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:56 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by epicurus:19403441
Thanks, this is good to know. Is ANA premium economy upgrade available to *A elite?
Unfortunately no. Only ANA elites.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by profhoff
For now, this is enough to keep us with UA - but try the *A international partners for TATL.

I love VS (Virgin) TATL. You will have a stopover in LHR or MAN. And possibly a separate ticket from the UK to your final destination as VS does not offer connecting flights.
But VS Upper Class does give you a rock star feeling.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Unfortunately no. Only ANA elites.
But you can ask..If you are *G and there is space they might accommodate you.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by profhoff
I wrote UA back and they replied within a few hours confirming that both me and my husband would be receiving 10,000 miles. Obviously, the response was generic, but what was impressive was the response time and the responsiveness.

I'd say the responsiveness was that you emailed Smisek & your letter was well-written. If you had gone the regular customer service email, you probably would have taken your next 3 int'l trips by the time you heard back from UA.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton, Marriott Rewards,SPG
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Recommend you do LX, LH, or TK if doing paid C for those trips, then just credit to MP so you get the bennies on your domestic UA flights

I regrettably did a paid C EWR-FRA trip on UA this spring...have learned my lesson and will do SQ next time.
OR as we like to call the SQ JFK-FRA at the office. "The Joe Special". LOL
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by zkzkz
The 380 was ordered long ago, before planning new seats. They have the same seats as other LH planes....
The hull yes. But the 380 seats have been installed long after the lie-flat design was a done deal. It was a mere tactic decision to cripple the 380 Business in order to quench internal competition between different aircraft.

The A380 seats are actually slightly worse than the older models in the sense that they do not have a compartment for your glasses.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=GBadger;19388626]As someone who's switched *from* DL to UA, I'll say this:
- UA is currently undergoing very similar things that DL underwent 3 years ago.
- DL J is pretty decent. DL food (in Y and J) is generally better than UA.
- DL EC is a small step up from UA E+, but not much.
- DL award miles are much harder to use (IME) than UA.- *A is much better than SkyTeam. Having said that, for Europe SkyTeam is not bad either.
- DL FOs likely have better upgrade chances, in general, than UA silver (on domestic flights).[/QUOTE]

See (Bold).

I don't think the OP would care much about miles and Y to C upgrades if she/he was comfortable paying for C or F for TATL travel.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by NYC1K
I don't think the OP would care much about miles and Y to C upgrades if she/he was comfortable paying for C or F for TATL travel.
My mom used to pay for C when she came to visit once or twice a year. As a retiree with a fairly decent pension she could afford Z fares but it was sure nice to get every fourth trip free.

So even if profhoff can afford to pay for biz, it isn't horrible to be able to use miles to cover a trip once in a while. And if that is the case, UA is still probably the best program to collect with. I would just fly Swiss and Lufthansa and NZ instead of United and credit miles to UA.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Based on all the discussion here, and my embarrassment at paying so much for so little, I started looking into using miles to upgrade to business first for next year's trip to BCN and IST, probably RT LAX-BCN-IST. I went online and checked the box that is supposed to search for upgrades with miles and every single flight on every single leg showed not available for upgrade. It bright humiliating red letters!

The seat maps show that business is basically empty. I called the A premier desk and the agent said the seats probably aren't released yet but I should buy coach tickets and request an upgrade and that United would release the seats to me in my order on the waitlist.

I asked when the seats would be available for upgrade and she didn't know. I asked how many seats would be available for upgrade and she didn't know. I asked if I would be guaranteed an upgrade if I used her method to waitlist for the upgrade and she said no.

So, I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have enough miles to upgrade two tickets, but as of today, there are no upgrades. Should I check every day? Is there anyway to know when upgrade for miles seats will be released for upgrade?

Meanwhile, I'm also now trying to figure out how to get cheap business seats LAX-CDG or SNA-CDG. Today the fares are around $4500 each. Does it get cheaper if I wait? I checked AC as some recommended and it will take too long.

When I flew biz in the past, it seemed like a good deal, but this year it seems like a complete waste of money, so I'm open to suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.