Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lazy staff - Deliberate bad service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by goalie
I had the complete opposite experience yesterday SFO-BOS with a legacy PMCO crew* as with the exception of being a little slow with the beverage service, I had no issues at all

Offer to take coats 'n jackets
PDB was offered (water or OJ)
Meal orders taken by GS and then front to back with a choice of eggs or cereal)
Hot towel service (towels were nice and hot ^)
Beverage service (like I said, a little slow in starting but refills were promptly offered ^)
Place setting promptly removed when folks finished eating
Coats & jackets returned 30 minutes prior to landing
"Thanks and goodbye" given upon deplaning

*this was my 2nd ever PMCO legacy flight and the first transcon and after hearing the horror stories, maybe I got lucky or actually had a good crew (but now if someone can "do something" about the legacy PMCO 757-300's as this a/c totally re-defines the term "ghetto bird" )
This was not a PMCO crew or aircraft. CO never operated non-stop SFO-BOS; UA did. CO didn't fly 757-300s, only 757-200s in a Business First Configuration and 757-400s with 24 FC seats. And CO had absolutely no ghetto birds. All their mainline aircraft are relatively new and kept in pretty good shape.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hughw
This was not a PMCO crew or aircraft. CO never operated non-stop SFO-BOS; UA did. CO didn't fly 757-300s, only 757-200s in a Business First Configuration and 757-400s with 24 FC seats. And CO had absolutely no ghetto birds. All their mainline aircraft are relatively new and kept in pretty good shape.
Huh???

CO does currently have a couple 737s on this route (started late last year, IIRC).

Also not sure of where you got your info, as CO is an operator of the 757-300. Here's a picture of one....

Btw, no such thing as a 757-400. 767-400, perhaps?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
I had the complete opposite experience yesterday SFO-BOS with a legacy PMCO crew* as with the exception of being a little slow with the beverage service, I had no issues at all

Offer to take coats 'n jackets
PDB was offered (water or OJ)
Meal orders taken by GS and then front to back with a choice of eggs or cereal)
Hot towel service (towels were nice and hot ^)
Beverage service (like I said, a little slow in starting but refills were promptly offered ^)
Place setting promptly removed when folks finished eating
Coats & jackets returned 30 minutes prior to landing
"Thanks and goodbye" given upon deplaning

*this was my 2nd ever PMCO legacy flight and the first transcon and after hearing the horror stories, maybe I got lucky or actually had a good crew (but now if someone can "do something" about the legacy PMCO 757-300's as this a/c totally re-defines the term "ghetto bird" )
You are correct ^. It was a typo on my part-and should have read SFO-IAD (and I've corrected my post)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
If you get bad service, you should let UA know. They need to hear about these sub par flight crews . if we complain enough, maybe someone will get the message.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Not sure if this was a training or like you say a lazy staff but there are thousands of people who would want those jobs, the ones they do hire go through intensive interviews and training. I would report this to UA as the lead FA should be held responsible for this lack of service.
I agree...unless the managers receive a slew of letters CUSTOMER SERVICE will continue to go downhill....
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Good for me to read this thread, re-energizes me to actually write in. I had/have actually given up. I don't speak to UA employees when I travel (I know that sounds crazy). I've just had enough. Look at it this way- I just need to get from point A to B. I bring my own food into F, I never ask for anything and unless directly and politely addressed I just keep my noise canceling headphones on. I fly hundreds of thousands of miles every year on a variety of carriers. UA is the worst, followed by F9.

I used to be a different flyer- tried to engage, be cheerful, make the best of, etc. But no more- I'm sick of the attitudes, the dirty planes, the lame meals, the condescending attitude of gate agents. Maybe I just travel too much.

Here is another way to say it- UA planes used to be where the relaxation started...after the parking, the TSA, the terminal, the gate, etc...get on board and relax. Now I consider the plane to just be another hassle of the trip honestly. The service, attitudes, treatment of "elites" is just awful. I guess I am "elite" based on how many miles I fly, but who really cares. Not United!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JSlo
Good for me to read this thread, re-energizes me to actually write in. I had/have actually given up. I don't speak to UA employees when I travel (I know that sounds crazy). I've just had enough. Look at it this way- I just need to get from point A to B. I bring my own food into F, I never ask for anything and unless directly and politely addressed I just keep my noise canceling headphones on. I fly hundreds of thousands of miles every year on a variety of carriers. UA is the worst, followed by F9.

I used to be a different flyer- tried to engage, be cheerful, make the best of, etc. But no more- I'm sick of the attitudes, the dirty planes, the lame meals, the condescending attitude of gate agents. Maybe I just travel too much.

Here is another way to say it- UA planes used to be where the relaxation started...after the parking, the TSA, the terminal, the gate, etc...get on board and relax. Now I consider the plane to just be another hassle of the trip honestly. The service, attitudes, treatment of "elites" is just awful. I guess I am "elite" based on how many miles I fly, but who really cares. Not United!
Apparently they must see you coming...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I can't wrap my mind around about why UA can't enforce it's own standards and policies?

Staff can simply pick and choose which standard operating procedures they like? Cookie or no cookie?How pathetic is that?

Labor unions are also strong in Europe, yet LH and BA crews don't get the luxury to do whatever the heck they fancy.

I am a UA Plat and refuse to fly UA on longhaul (NH on transpacific and LH on transatlantic, exclusively). More flyers need vote with their dollars and send the lazy old hags home.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:06 am
Suspended

Have you ever heard of any United FA got fired or displined for a bad service he/she provided?
Nope, I haven't.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mama
Have you ever heard of any United FA got fired or displined for a bad service he/she provided?
Nope, I haven't.
and how would you have heard of an internal discipline issue?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mama
Nope, I haven't.
Some of the UA employees on the board have commented that people get fired all the time at UA (as well as disciplined, etc.).

I suspect that it's the same at UA as in any union workplace. If there is a clear violation of company rules, the company will be swift with the discipline. If there is a well-worded and appropriate complaint about customer service, it will go in their file.

However, most people don't bother to complain when receiving bad service (or even when they see employees explicitly breaking the rules), and when they do complain, their complaints are a mess to read and make sense of what happened. That just makes it easy to brush them off as he said/she said.

Moral: short, concise complaints detailing the exact failing will get UAs attention, especially if the employee is specifically violating the rules.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
This is the kind of experience that I had too many times on PMUA. If I had four segments, I would have one like the OP described, two average and one fantastic. When I first started flying UA a lot several years ago it was very few and far between but they seemed to increase in frequency year after year.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Huh???

CO does currently have a couple 737s on this route (started late last year, IIRC).

Also not sure of where you got your info, as CO is an operator of the 757-300. Here's a picture of one....

Btw, no such thing as a 757-400. 767-400, perhaps?
You're correct on the 757, but I don't think PMCO ever flew that route.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
You're correct on the 757, but I don't think PMCO ever flew that route.
PMCO does fly the SFO-IAD route now with 737-800s and an occasional 757-300
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:12 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
Two things that disturb me:
1. Lack of service consistency
2. Willingness of staff to complain about their jobs

Re the first, on last week's trans-PAC flight in business class:
-cold nuts
-warm Champagne (FA comment: "it's hit and miss on this run". Passenger reply "don't you have ice you can put the bottle in?)
-no amenity kits (FA blamed the ground crew)
-no newspapers

On the positive side, coats were taken, FAs were polite, meals were handled well. But I have seen incredible variation in the above services, depending on the flight and crew. All front line staff in any service industry should be consistent, and this is definitely not the case on UA.

Economy shows the same variation. Some crews have manners and service attitude matching a greasy spoon diner. Others really shine considering the difficult circumstances (increasingly full flights with fewer amenities to offer).

On the second point, for better or worse, an employee should never badmouth the employer who feeds them. We customers may enjoy getting a peek at the inside situation but it's not professional. Apologizing and bad-mouthing are not the same thing. Fairly often the employees cross the line, which shows just how bad it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.