Search

Boarding with lower status friends

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:39 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Boarding with lower status friends

I'm traveling with some coworkers on different PNRs soon. I'm 1K and they have no status. Before 3/3, it was rarely a problem for me to take people with me as we boarded by just say politely that they "were traveling with me." Is this is OK? Is it now against policy? Or will it all just depend on each GA on a case by case basis?

I ask because the flight is booked full in E and we have a rental car to catch before traffic hits to make a meeting. Checking a bag would slow us down.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:47 pm

Shouldn't be a problem... I always hand the gate agents our boarding passes together as we board, never had an issue
Old Sep 23, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I'm traveling with some coworkers on different PNRs soon. I'm 1K and they have no status. Before 3/3, it was rarely a problem for me to take people with me as we boarded by just say politely that they "were traveling with me." Is this is OK? Is it now against policy? Or will it all just depend on each GA on a case by case basis?
Never had a problem with one person traveling with me, but I wouldn't try it with more than two as it's not a published benefit.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
From the United Hub

"Tip: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both can board with the earlier group."
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know how this works on a *A partner, like AC??, will UA *GOLD be able to board with some friends on AC (or any other carrier for that matter??)
Old Sep 23, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I've done this several times too and haven't had a problem. Being polite and handing over all of the boarding passes together seems to help. Not sure about AC--maybe check with a gate agent before boarding.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sonic777
I've done this several times too and haven't had a problem. Being polite and handing over all of the boarding passes together seems to help. ....
and being reasonable in the number of companions - 1 or 2 max if not direct family.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:51 pm

Friends with lower status should no longer be friends...
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:30 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Awesome. Thanks all for the replies.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Anyone know how this works on a *A partner, like AC??, will UA *GOLD be able to board with some friends on AC (or any other carrier for that matter??)
Best on the same ticket as the Premier Access benefits will extend to those tickets as well... though I had an incident where I had one other passenger not on the same ticket but they still let him through (I was OZ*S at the time). On a side note, has anyone experienced agents not really caring whether they serve Premier Access passengers first because I ran into a few who just let the Economy passengers ahead before priority members...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Yes.

What funny is other non-status pax followed me (and got kicked)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.