Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by busyizzy
Question!

I want to make sure I'm reading this right. When it says "When it was parts of your journey already made that no longer serve ANY purpose to your original travel plan," this means I cannot request reimbursement of tickets since my trip served two purposes: getting myself home, and getting myself to the anniversary dinner and one of these purposes were fulfilled, correct?

I am going to file for the 600 euros, but wanted to check to make sure I could not get back more (flight delay was due to delayed incoming flight).
No. That provision is for if you decide not to travel to your destination.

Imagine you are to fly CDG-SFO-LAX for a conference. You are delayed by more than 5 hours and, while sitting in SFO, you realize you will have missed the important parts of the conference, so you want to just return to CDG.

Not only will they refund you for SFO-LAX leg you won't fly, they will refund you for your CDG-SFO leg (which you flew, but is no longer useful to you) and for a flight back to CDG.

This is also called "trip in vain" in most USA carrier's CoC.

I'm 99% sure this does not apply for flying back home to SFO and remaining in SFO, just because you were delayed over 5 hours. The only case it would apply is if you returned to CDG and abandoned your trip.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:09 pm

That's what I thought about the outbound flight! Bummer since I missed my dinner. Hope United will come through on the 600 euros. The person at the check-in counter said it was definitely not weather issue and completely United's fault. If they say no, I'll have to fight them on that. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:07 pm

Hi guys, follow-up question! I thought I read multiple times on this thread that people were able to get the EU261 compensation AND the compensation from the Unitedcares website if it is emailed to customers after the flight. I have tried to access this website (https://www.united.com/unitedcares/) multiple times but it keeps giving me an error when I put in my information. Separately, I also heard back from United that they will compensate me EU261 and I can chose 600 euros OR chose $900 travel voucher or 27,5k miles. If I reach out and ask about the Unitedcares website via their feedback form, will that count as my EU261 compensation? Can I try to claim both? What is the order to try to get this? Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by busyizzy
Hi guys, follow-up question! I thought I read multiple times on this thread that people were able to get the EU261 compensation AND the compensation from the Unitedcares website if it is emailed to customers after the flight. I have tried to access this website (https://www.united.com/unitedcares/) multiple times but it keeps giving me an error when I put in my information. Separately, I also heard back from United that they will compensate me EU261 and I can chose 600 euros OR chose $900 travel voucher or 27,5k miles. If I reach out and ask about the Unitedcares website via their feedback form, will that count as my EU261 compensation? Can I try to claim both? What is the order to try to get this? Thanks!
I have done both but always claim the United Cares comp first.

Although one has nothing to do with the other, the United Cares is voluntary and EU261 is compulsory.

I personally have always been concerned if I claimed the voluntary compensation after the compulsory amount they may not pay on the basis they already gave me something. No personal experience with that scenario but always been concerned they would not pay voluntary after compulsory payment.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
To claim their compensation I still don't know my name according to their website and after trying each and every combination of letters that would put Bletchley Park to shame, I still cannot. As I just filed for court proceedings against them I am not going to bother pursuing this just in case it may affect the outcome.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:47 am

My flight from BRU -> SFO was canceled due to the Boeing 737MAX ban, original arrival time 910AM. They rebooked on a later flight with a new arrival time of 810PM. that’s an 11 hour delay.

does the 737MAX cancelations qualify for EU261?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Doubtful. UA will rightly claim it is exceptional.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BaconSF
My flight from BRU -> SFO was canceled due to the Boeing 737MAX ban, original arrival time 910AM. They rebooked on a later flight with a new arrival time of 810PM. that’s an 11 hour delay.

Since UA doesn't fly BRU to SFO, and they don't use he 737 MAX on EWR to SFO, I'm a mite confused. What was the actual routing, and what makes you think it was related to the MAX?

The EU generally hasn't recognized the inability to position an aircraft as an exceptional event. I would certainly ask for compensation -- the worst that could happen is that they say 'no' and you have to decide whether or not to go to court.

If this is MAX-related, I'd watch to see how EU MAX operators are responding. If they're all paying the compensation, that would give me increased confidence.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Since UA doesn't fly BRU to SFO, and they don't use he 737 MAX on EWR to SFO, I'm a mite confused. What was the actual routing, and what makes you think it was related to the MAX?

The EU generally hasn't recognized the inability to position an aircraft as an exceptional event. I would certainly ask for compensation -- the worst that could happen is that they say 'no' and you have to decide whether or not to go to court.

If this is MAX-related, I'd watch to see how EU MAX operators are responding. If they're all paying the compensation, that would give me increased confidence.
original booking through United, but operated by Air Canada. Routing BRU-YUL-SFO. YUL-SFO leg canceled due to 737MAX

rebooked through United, operated by United. Routing BRU-IAD-SFO. UA951 & UA340
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
original booking through United, but operated by Air Canada. Routing BRU-YUL-SFO. YUL-SFO leg canceled due to 737MAX
That has nothing to do with United. If you have a claim (I don't think you do) it would be with AC.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, then your claim would be against Air Canada, even though you booked through United. EC.261 claims are made against the operating carrier.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

In this case, as Kacee says, you have no claim at all with UA as only the operating carrier matters. Take your claim to AC, but I expect you'll have an uphill battle.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm usually in "the airline should pay" camp, but I do think aviation authorities grounding aircraft type is an extraordinary circumstance.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm usually in "the airline should pay" camp, but I do think aviation authorities grounding aircraft type is an extraordinary circumstance.
I agree .
The situation is a very exceptional one.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

extremely unlikely. AC is difficult to start with and this is clearly extraordinary and outside the control of the airline. Frankly, I wouldn't even submit a claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.