Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2023, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Games_People_Play
Last month, our Rome to Chicago flight was delayed nearly 8 hours due to a “knock on” effect. Our plane was coming from Chicago, where there were no weather issues or ATC issues. The delay was instead caused by the prior flight, which was going to Chicago from Newark. Newark apparently had storms and gate availability issues. Accordingly, our delay was a “knock on” effect of an issue in Newark affecting our plane getting to Chicago, then from Chicago to Rome (where we would board) and then back to Chicago. My understanding is that these cascading knock on effects are not considered extraordinary circumstances and are entitled to compensation under EC 261 case law. We received a response today from United, denying our compensation request and stating United has no appeals process. Am I correct that I have a claim? Assuming I do, should I hire one of the third parties that take up to half of your award, or should I respond to United citing case law (and where do I find the case law—is it on Westlaw) and see if United reconsiders?
Your next step is to file with ENAC. It’s the EC261 enforcement body in Italy.
https://www.enac.gov.it/en/passenger...-long-delay-of
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by uiucsb
Update from my July 6, LHR-DEN cancelled flight:
7/11: submitted UK261 request for cancelled flight and hotel/taxi reimbursement
7/23: submitted UK261 request for the delayed flight and missed connection for 7/7 (the second bite of the apple upthread) (don't ask me why I waited to submit this. Maybe I wanted to see what would happened for the first one and not confuse the system on the 2 requests. kinda silly no matter what the reason I had...)
8/2: email from UA about the $1k ETC, 50k miles, or choose a 520 GBP check, but check could take 12 weeks to arrive.

So, it took 3 weeks, 1 day (22 calendar days) to get the offer.

8/3: I asked a clarification about the travel expenses (they weren't mentioned in the first email), if each of the 4 of us could choose a different option, and to verify that these are indeed ETC and not FFC (just wanted to be 1000% sure)
8/3: reply that the expenses would be paid and each person could choose their own option.

Today, 8/8: I replied that we'll all take the 1k ETC and to send the check in USD to me.

(in the middle of this, I also submitted a general complaint on 7/11 about what happened that day (because some other passengers said they were told by lounge employees to ask). I heard nothing back. But on 8/1 (one day before I got my 261 reply), I got a generic ETC for $100. Unfortunately, I can't link that to the case # from my form submissions.)

Summary: I've asked for the 1k ETC after waiting only 3 weeks and am waiting for a reply to the 2nd 261 submission.
For info:
the $1k ETC deposited in our UA MP accounts after 4 days once I emailed confirming our choice. The hotel /taxi reimbursement was issued by united after 3 days, but it took another week and a half for the check to arrive (today) (so nearly 2 weeks after sending a confirmation email)
jsloan, SPN Lifer and ccna101 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 11:41 pm

It has been a month + 10 days since our incident (in early July). Still no response from United. I am just a Plat, but still expected faster follow up than this? Quite disappointed. Looking for EU261 compensation plus for a way to charge hotels and meals for an overnight delay.

I immediately emailed United support via the portal, but no response. They said they are overloaded. Any similar experiences? Expected response time? Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by nygiants242
It has been a month + 10 days since our incident (in early July). Still no response from United. I am just a Plat, but still expected faster follow up than this? Quite disappointed. Looking for EU261 compensation plus for a way to charge hotels and meals for an overnight delay.

I immediately emailed United support via the portal, but no response. They said they are overloaded. Any similar experiences? Expected response time? Thank you!
Wiki says "6-8 wks response time is common" and based on some recent past comments, average seems to be 7 weeks before you receive the offer. I myself am waiting for a response but I didn't send the complaint through the online form till beginning of August.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
That has not been my experience thus far, though I have no other personal yardsticks to compare it to. Had a 3:27 delay to final destination on a EU-originating flight due to mechanical (hydraulic) issue. Submitted the claim on UA.com day after the incident (27 May) -- got automated acknowledgement almost immediately setting out the typical response timeframe (e.g. most cases 1-2 days, some cases 30 days), no reply at all. About a month later (03 July) replied to that customer care acknowledgement and forwarded to 1KV requesting status... Still no reply as of today. If they want to deny the claim that's one thing -- and that's more or less what I expected given what I understand UA's difference of opinion with the EU to be about applicability connecting flights outside of the EU on an EU-originating itinerary -- but they simply haven't bothered to respond in more than 2 months and I don't like having loose ends flapping for that long.

Just submitted a claim to AESA, we'll see if that prompts any kind of response finally...
Following up -- this morning, +/-90 days since I submitted the claim via UA's system (and about two weeks after I submitted a complaint via AESA) I woke up on my first morning in Brussels I woke up to an email offering a $1K ETC, 50K Miles, or EUR 600 check. I replied with my selection and this afternoon returned to the hotel and had a confirmation that it was done.

Very happy with the result given the delay was on the domestic continuation and between this thread and even UA employees I mentioned it to familiar with EC261 were like "good luck with that!"
SPN Lifer and ccna101 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
I am myself on 6th weeks since filled with UA (BAR->SFO via EWR) ... I will keep waiting or escalation time ? and where would I do it ?
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by ccna101
I am myself on 6th weeks since filled with UA (BAR->SFO via EWR) ... I will keep waiting or escalation time ? and where would I do it ?
I'm assuming you mean BCN, not BAR, correct? 😉
Old Aug 29, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: mvp75k, DL-0body
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I'm assuming you mean BCN, not BAR, correct? 😉
LOL , BCN.->SFO via EWR , yes ..

For a few minutes, I thought I had enough coffee !! let add some whisky to it
Old Aug 29, 2023, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ccna101
Most reports are closer to 8 weeks and a few longer. There is no escalation path, just a resubmission's.
If denied you need to go the country office or 3rd party.
ccna101 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2023, 7:41 pm

6 weeks. Claim submitted on 19 July and response received on 30 August.
Good luck!
cesco.g, ccna101 and travelbugging like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
We replied on 8/23 (within a day of receiving it) on our preference ($1000 ETC). Email indicated 3-5 business days. How long has it been taking in reality?

And the email was oddly worded that they would “facilitate” delivery via email.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 7:51 pm

UPDATE: Got it today. 1 September!

I replied today, also for the certificate. I will update this response when I here from them again.

Last edited by nufafa; Sep 1, 2023 at 12:38 pm
Old Sep 1, 2023, 11:55 am

Got it today!

Summary:
- 19 July: I filed the claim
- 30 August: mail from UA with compensation options.
- 31 August: I accepted compensation (TC)
- 1 September: I received TC by mail, and also posted on my UA account.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:18 pm

Took 4 weeks for me to receive a reply from a claim that was filed beginning of August.

I've scanned through the thread up to last year but curious if others have more recent experiences while I await a response:
1. If there is more than one passenger on the confirmation (including a toddler), should I have filed a claim individually for each passenger? One user stated that as long as they received signatures designating them as authorized representative then they were able to claim on behalf of everyone. Another user stated that their gf had to file separately.
2. Am I suppose to file for additional costs incurred separately as well? If so, is that still under International Passenger Rights?
3. I should be good to claim the Customer Appreciation now right? I have 90 days but I don't want to forget about it and miss out on it.

Thank you all so much for any help. Will update the thread with United's answer as well once I hear back!
Old Sep 5, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by travelbugging
Took 4 weeks for me to receive a reply from a claim that was filed beginning of August.

I've scanned through the thread up to last year but curious if others have more recent experiences while I await a response:
1. If there is more than one passenger on the confirmation (including a toddler), should I have filed a claim individually for each passenger? One user stated that as long as they received signatures designating them as authorized representative then they were able to claim on behalf of everyone. Another user stated that their gf had to file separately.
2. Am I suppose to file for additional costs incurred separately as well? If so, is that still under International Passenger Rights?
3. I should be good to claim the Customer Appreciation now right? I have 90 days but I don't want to forget about it and miss out on it.

Thank you all so much for any help. Will update the thread with United's answer as well once I hear back!
I submitted a claim to Air Canada for 6 family members flying on UA FF miles under two different confirmation codes....after a rather lengthy process to gain approval, AC asked for mailing addresses for each one and sent six separate checks.
SPN Lifer and travelbugging like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.