Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:53 am

Overweight passenger in middle seat

I was on a UA flight from LAX-OGG whereby an overweight passenger infringed on my personal space and it was hard for me to use the audio control, take my tray table out let alone use the armrest. I was pushed towards the window seat due to the shoulders and arms extending into my personal space.

While the seat had no recline(I was prepared for this) I can not complain about that but I could not use my seat in the sense that my personal space was infringed upon. I did not feel comfortable talking with the FA since its a touchy subject but I thought UA has a policy for overweight passengers to buy an extra seat.

As UA has a policy for Customer of Size for a passenger who cannot fit into two seats to buy a second seat which is what I would do. My seat was in Econ Plus but its besides the point I was forced to be scrunched to the window or had to stand up many times.

I wrote UA an email about my experience. If I was a COS I would gladly pay the extra $$$$ for a second seat. I am not complaining about the seat not reclining but the lack of my personal space caused me neck and shoulder pain as i had to lean towards the window. It was hard to use the audio control as its located on top of the seat rest let alone I had to put my arm away from the seatrest as the passenger took up the seatrest.

When I sat in an upright position the passenger's elbows and arms came into my personal space. As a polite passenger I did not want to cause a scene but on the other hand I e-mailed United as a result of this because I feel that I could not use my seat.

Next time I am in a situation like this I will be more vocal but I just did not know how to tell the FA that I am uncomfortable.

Am I right to e-mail UA? How would you handel this?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:08 am

WN had bad press on this a few years back. Still, I've seen them inforce COS policies since - which is a bit easier, I suppose, with open seating. I've not seen any enforcement on any other airline.

I would have tried to switch to an empty seat if there was one.

If you do write to UA, I'd suggest letting them specifically know that you didn't bring the issue up to the FAs. I don't believe in asking for $$ or miles when complaining. It might be good, however, to suggest that they do a little training with FAs on policy and encourage them to enforce it as failure to do so could result in passenger injuries.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Indelaware
WN had bad press on this a few years back. Still, I've seen them inforce COS policies since - which is a bit easier, I suppose, with open seating. I've not seen any enforcement on any other airline.
Actually, it wasn't exactly "Bad Press" and UA has the same rules ---

UAL Web Site:Home > Travel information > Special travel needs > Customers requiring extra seating
Customers requiring extra seating

A customer flying in the economy cabin who is not able to safely and comfortably fit in a single seat is required to purchase an additional seat for each leg of their itinerary. The second seat may be purchased for the same fare as the original seat, provided it is purchased at the same time. A customer who does not purchase an extra seat in advance may be required to do so on the day of departure for the fare level available on the day of departure. The customer may instead choose to purchase a ticket for United First®, United Business® or United BusinessFirst®, or elect to pay for an upgrade to a premium cabin if there is availability to do so. United Airlines is not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge.

A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:

The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space. See our seat maps.

United will not board a customer who declines to purchase a ticket for an additional seat or upgrade for each leg of their itinerary when required.

*The average length of the seatbelt extension is approximately 25 inches. As the seat designs on our aircraft vary, it is possible that the seatbelt extension presented on your flight provides less than 25 inches of additional coverage. Regardless of the actual additional length the extension provides, if you do not meet the first criteria listed above when using the extension provided on your flight, it will be necessary for you to purchase an additional seat or an upgrade, where available.
Additional procedures

The additional seat must be available without downgrading or unseating another customer. If an additional seat is not available on the flight for which the customer is confirmed, he or she is required to rebook on the next United flight with seats available for accommodation. United will waive penalties or fees that may otherwise apply to this change.

If the customer is away from his or her home and must rebook for a flight for the following day, amenities including applicable meals and hotel accommodations for one night will be provided as appropriate. When the customer is able to rebook for a later flight on the same day as originally scheduled, amenities will not be provided.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by danielonn
I was on a UA flight from LAX-OGG whereby an overweight passenger infringed on my personal space and it was hard for me to use the audio control, take my tray table out let alone use the armrest. I was pushed towards the window seat due to the shoulders and arms extending into my personal space.

While the seat had no recline(I was prepared for this) I can not complain about that but I could not use my seat in the sense that my personal space was infringed upon. I did not feel comfortable talking with the FA since its a touchy subject but I thought UA has a policy for overweight passengers to buy an extra seat.

As UA has a policy for Customer of Size for a passenger who cannot fit into two seats to buy a second seat which is what I would do. My seat was in Econ Plus but its besides the point I was forced to be scrunched to the window or had to stand up many times.

I wrote UA an email about my experience. If I was a COS I would gladly pay the extra $$$$ for a second seat. I am not complaining about the seat not reclining but the lack of my personal space caused me neck and shoulder pain as i had to lean towards the window. It was hard to use the audio control as its located on top of the seat rest let alone I had to put my arm away from the seatrest as the passenger took up the seatrest.

When I sat in an upright position the passenger's elbows and arms came into my personal space. As a polite passenger I did not want to cause a scene but on the other hand I e-mailed United as a result of this because I feel that I could not use my seat.

Next time I am in a situation like this I will be more vocal but I just did not know how to tell the FA that I am uncomfortable.

Am I right to e-mail UA? How would you handel this?
See my posts above #52 and #56.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
i do not understand

Hello All,

I am a big guy, 5 11 and 285 lbs., although I fond the seats tight, I can fit into them, with the armrests down. I have sympathy for the bigger people that cannot.

But, I ask this , as Americans are growing ever so bigger, and study after study will tell you this, and also my eyes can tell me this, WHY DO AIRPLANES MAKE THE SEATS SMALLER OR SAME SIZE? WHY CAN'T THE AIRLINES MAKE COACH CLASS SEATS JUST A LITTLE BIGGER???

Thanks all for your time,
kctigers.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kctigers
Hello All,

I am a big guy, 5 11 and 285 lbs., although I fond the seats tight, I can fit into them, with the armrests down. I have sympathy for the bigger people that cannot.

But, I ask this , as Americans are growing ever so bigger, and study after study will tell you this, and also my eyes can tell me this, WHY DO AIRPLANES MAKE THE SEATS SMALLER OR SAME SIZE? WHY CAN'T THE AIRLINES MAKE COACH CLASS SEATS JUST A LITTLE BIGGER???

Thanks all for your time,
kctigers.
Because that would reduce revenue. Why should airlines lose money because people can't control their weight?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
not to get in a tussle with you,

but it is a fact people are getting larger, and people that are not overweight also find the seats to not be big enough.... when 2/3rds of adult americans are overweight or obese according to FRAC. then i think that the seats should be amde just a little bigger, what might happen, in 40 or 50 years or maybe earlier is that 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of the plane will have to buy 2 seats...

thank you,
kctigers.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Happened to me over the weekend. I was in 21C on SFO-CLE. Thankfully 20C got upgraded (I did not ) and I had row 20 to myself. The FA's opened the bar cart for me and I proceeded to go to town on Bailey's and coffee.

I don't know what would have happened if the flight had been full.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I put the armrest down and do not allow it to be put up. I will say "mind if I put the armrest down", forcing it down before finishing the word "mind". Then I play dumb and just let the FA deal with it, as this is FA business.

But this is another example of why I frequent websites like this and others to try to get into Business or First whenever I can possibly swing it.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by kctigers
not to get in a tussle with you,

but it is a fact people are getting larger, and people that are not overweight also find the seats to not be big enough.... when 2/3rds of adult americans are overweight or obese according to FRAC. then i think that the seats should be amde just a little bigger, what might happen, in 40 or 50 years or maybe earlier is that 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4 of the plane will have to buy 2 seats...

thank you,
kctigers.
Agreed. These seat widths and pitches may work for airlines in other parts of the world, but they are decreasingly viable in the US...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Look, UA now uses PMCO's policy regarding overweight passengers. And as far as I'm concerned it's a good policy requiring the COS to buy a FC seat or a second Y seat if they don't fit: with one seat belt extender, or the arm rest can't be lowered, or they significantly encroach on their neighbor's seat space. The problem is enforcement. It presently leaves the person encroached upon in the uncomfortable (no pun intended) of having to call a FA over to enforce the rules before the doors are closed. While no doubt there may be times that is necessary, it should be a last resort. The GA and FA's should observe passengers while boarding and be proactive that those that appear to fit, or better yet, not fit the rules be required to have a boarding pass for a FC seat or two Y seats, even to the extent of following them to their seat and seeing if they can meet the requirements or not,
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As to today's version of the unending thread, the answer is that you can send in a whine to UA. But, the time to deal with 99% of problems is on the spot.

This is an issue that has to do with how many cubic feet of person fit into how many cubic feet of seat & associated space. It's not a social commentary, a medical judgment or anything else.

UA has a written published policy, but like many things in life, if you don't speak up, nobody knows it's a problem.

If you are the timid type, feel free to address it to the FA privately. Be polite, firm, non-judgmental and stick to the facts. It is particularly true when you are in a non-exit window seat. In an emergency, you are stuck on the wrong side of a person who will not safely and timely be able to exit the aircraft. This means that you too won't be able to safely exit.

And for the poster who asks why the seats can't be larger. The answer is that they can. It's called F or buying a second seat. Absolutely the choice of the pax.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by hughw
Look, UA now uses PMCO's policy regarding overweight passengers. And as far as I'm concerned it's a good policy requiring the COS to buy a FC seat or a second Y seat if they don't fit: with one seat belt extender, or the arm rest can't be lowered, or they significantly encroach on their neighbor's seat space. The problem is enforcement. It presently leaves the person encroached upon in the uncomfortable (no pun intended) of having to call a FA over to enforce the rules before the doors are closed. While no doubt there may be times that is necessary, it should be a last resort. The GA and FA's should observe passengers while boarding and be proactive that those that appear to fit, or better yet, not fit the rules be required to have a boarding pass for a FC seat or two Y seats, even to the extent of following them to their seat and seeing if they can meet the requirements or not,
What I did this weekend. I went to the FA and stated that I will need new seat. She and I checked the seat map on the mobile app, and phoned in the seat changes to the GA.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
that'll be the day

Originally Posted by hughw
... The problem is enforcement. It presently leaves the person encroached upon in the uncomfortable (no pun intended) of having to call a FA over to enforce the rules before the doors are closed. While no doubt there may be times that is necessary, it should be a last resort. The GA and FA's should observe passengers while boarding and be proactive ...
That'll be the day when GAs and especially FAs voluntarily stick their nose into these situations. They will gladly let the pax suffer or sort it out themselves unless someone brings the issue to them.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by danielonn

If the seat didn't recline, does that mean you were in an exit row? Easy solution then...just ask to be reseated since you are not willing and able to help in the case of an emergency.

There's a lot of space between "feeling uncomfortable" and needing a second seat belt extender...guessing UA policy was probably followed my not making this person buy a second ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.