Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Well, honestly, all I can advise you to do is to speak to the FA, and ask to be re-seated. Or just ask to be moved to a later flight. Seriously, what other advice can we give you?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 3, 2012 at 9:37 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hyatt, LA Kings hockey!
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
1. People always say this, but if you truly didn't feel like you could assist in an emergency, you should have said something to the FA.
It didn't occur to me at the time that her size could potentially pose a problem if I needed to assist. It wasn't until about a half hour after take off when my husband and I realized that point. I know now and would definitely speak up if this ever happened again!

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
So the OP's primary concern is the COS issue?

Based on all the other things written, I wasn't sure how many issues she had.

COS are not allowed in the exit row, period. There are regulatons regarding that. If anyone needs a seat belt extender, they are not supposed to be in the exit row, at least that is what I have read and found out the hard way.

I had a similar experience in an exit row (the COS sneaked in her own seat belt extension so she could be buckled in), and I will not make the mistake of sitting silently if this occurs again.
I actually do have two other issues ; ) However the other two issues were positive experiences. I feel strongly that the positive and negative should be separated as I do not want any issue to get overlooked.

For the record: The COS did ask the FA for a seat belt extender. The FA asked the COS how many she needed and returned with one and handed it to the COS in the exit row seat.
the COS issue was a

Originally Posted by Bttc
I didn't think about it until LarkSFO mentioned it, but:

According to the OP:
"The armrest between us would not stay in position due to her girth. . .As we were seated in an exit row, I doubt this passenger could have properly assisted if an issue arose."

Which planes have movable armrests in exit rows?
If I remember correctly, the plane was a 737-800. As I was seated in the middle, the armrests on both sides of me had full movement.

As per the advice of a few FlyerTalker's, I did send an email. I received a quick response...

"Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your e-mail came to my attention in our Executive Offices on behalf of Mr. Smisek.

I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your flight with us. It certainly was never our intention for you to share your seat with another passenger.

Customers should always be treated with dignity and respect, as we strive to provide safe and comfortable accommodations for all our valued customers.

Customers who are unable to sit with armrests down and seatbelts fastened without encroaching on adjacent seating space will be required to purchase an additional ticket. We are not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge. Our Inflight staff is often successful in arranging alternative seating for customers in these situations. Again, I am truly sorry we were unable to meet your needs that day.

I will include your comments in our monthly Customer Care report for internal review.

The situation you described for the second leg of your trip is not reflective of our commitment to providing our customers the highest level of service. I apologize for the negative impression this situation created. We intend to provide a high-quality experience, tailored to meet the individual needs of our passengers.

Based on your comments, we did not meet your expectations, and I regret you were not satisfied with the service provided. Your feedback will be used in future coaching and training as we continue to improve our service.

As a gesture of goodwill, I am sending you and your husband electronic travel certificates via separate e-mail that may be used toward your next purchase. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

Please give us an opportunity to provide you the service you expect. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight."

...I shall know in a few days what compensation my husband and I will receive. I will report back. Thank you to those that provided advice and humor.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 4, 2012 at 1:34 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by colpuck
The best way to deal with a customer of size is this. you bought a seat, not part or most of a seat. IF he or she was oozing into your seat, then you were denied what you were purchased. I would stand and explain this to the GA.
Correct. Hit the call button as soon as you see/feel/smell the problem. This is one situation that WN handles very very well. If you insist on the space that is yours, the FA will likely solve your problem.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kingzwingz
As per the advice of a few FlyerTalker's, I did send an email. I received a quick response...

"Thank you for contacting United Airlines. Your e-mail came to my attention in our Executive Offices on behalf of Mr. Smisek.

I apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your flight with us. It certainly was never our intention for you to share your seat with another passenger.

Customers should always be treated with dignity and respect, as we strive to provide safe and comfortable accommodations for all our valued customers.

Customers who are unable to sit with armrests down and seatbelts fastened without encroaching on adjacent seating space will be required to purchase an additional ticket. We are not required to provide additional seats or upgrades free of charge. Our Inflight staff is often successful in arranging alternative seating for customers in these situations. Again, I am truly sorry we were unable to meet your needs that day.

I will include your comments in our monthly Customer Care report for internal review.

The situation you described for the second leg of your trip is not reflective of our commitment to providing our customers the highest level of service. I apologize for the negative impression this situation created. We intend to provide a high-quality experience, tailored to meet the individual needs of our passengers.

Based on your comments, we did not meet your expectations, and I regret you were not satisfied with the service provided. Your feedback will be used in future coaching and training as we continue to improve our service.

As a gesture of goodwill, I am sending you and your husband electronic travel certificates via separate e-mail that may be used toward your next purchase. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.

Please give us an opportunity to provide you the service you expect. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight."

...I shall know in a few days what compensation my husband and I will receive. I will report back. Thank you to those that provided advice and humor.
I'm impressed
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by dulcamara
Correct. Hit the call button as soon as you see/feel/smell the problem.
Best statement I've heard on this board in months. WINNER! WINNER!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
We have no status... just a couple that travels often from an area that has two airports nearby...serviced mainly by UA. Should I expect compensation? Thoughts? Comments? Stories? Humor ; )
If you travel often you should have some status. Why not?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Pull cord to stop the press. UA replies this promptly & relevantly?

So I'm the only person here amazed that the OP got a response this quick, and a personal one at that? This is contrary to any number of long-running threads here. What's going on?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:07 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Pull cord to stop the press. UA replies this promptly & relevantly?

The planet will stop spinning in

Old Jul 4, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Could a 400 lb person sitting in a Exit Row reasonably be expected to assist in an emergency?
On overwater helicopter flights I've denied the window (emergency) seat to [passengers of size] or people that slept through the pre-flight video (we watch it before boarding). If something happens again (and that's another story), I'm going to be the one that handles the emergency door.

Now, DirtyDan's mom is a big girl and for that reason I always sponsor her seat up to the front. I realise that's not an option for everyone. On a commercial flight, I'm sure I would handle the situation a little more delicately than on an oilfield chopper but we are certainly well within our rights to request our own un-invaded seat.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 4, 2012 at 4:51 am Reason: inappropriate content removed
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:47 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by BOB W
If you travel often you should have some status. Why not?
For some people, 3 times a year could be often; or others 3 times a month. Easy to not have status if only 3 times a year?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So I'm the only person here amazed that the OP got a response this quick, and a personal one at that? This is contrary to any number of long-running threads here. What's going on?
But will she and her husband really get the "electronic travel certificates via separate e-mail" in 3-5 business days?

That will really be amazing.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by BOB W
The planet will stop spinning in

The Mayan number system stops at 3?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:50 pm
grt

This is an interesting thread, with useful suggestions. I always try to get an exit-row seat, but exit rows seem to be magnets for COSs (great acronym!) and linebacker types with huge shoulders (or those who fit in both categories simultaneously). The linebackers are the worst because their shoulders are much more rigid than [COS'] waists and arms, and are not restrained by armrests.

The restrictions about some people having to buy two seats should apply in both cases, but I doubt GA's and FA's will apply it to the latter.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 4, 2012 at 6:54 pm Reason: inappropriate language removed
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am surprised that COS issue can lead to a ETC.

Do OP mind sharing how much are you getting and which exact office responded?

Originally Posted by boss315
Too bad the 400 pd lady wasn't on the shuttle, too
Weight restriction?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 3:45 am

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Funny story happened to me flying IAD-LHR a few months back. I boarded and took my exit row seat. The config of Y was xx-xxxxx-xx. An older german couple boards the plane and is trying to find their seat. The wife sits behind me and the husband sits next to me. Then I noticed he has only one arm! (He is wearing a prothesis).

Few problems
1. He doesn't speak and english
2. he only has one arm and I doubt he would be able to assist in an emergency.

About 5 minutes later another pax comes and says that HE is sitting next to me. The german man gets up and eventually ends up 3 rows back somewhere int he middle. No where close!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.