Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Question about booking Award seats for friends from my MP Account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum

Planning to book 2-J class seats for friends of mine so we can meet in Japan November 2013. They will be flying from Europe to Japan. I found lots of award availability from FRA/MUC/ZRH/MXP to Tokyo. However, I'm not sure what info will be needed to book the flight for my friends to book this for them.

I'm sure lots have done this before, but first time for me. Any help will be appreciated! My friends live in Switzerland (I'm in California) so I just want to send them an email with everything they need to provide me to book the flights so I can go online and book everything in a few minutes.

One other question - will I be offered accelerator miles after booking the tickets since the award miles are coming from my MP account? Just wondering how that works...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Full name as it appears on the passport, date of birth and gender. The rest of the details can be added in later.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
You will need the following info to book a ticket:

1. Name
2. Gender
3. Date of birth

I think no accelerator miles since not on UA metal.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by USFdonWill
I think no accelerator miles since not on UA metal.
Buying extra miles is available on any itinerary showing on the UA site. Which carriers operate the flights is not a factor in whether it is offered or not.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
If you can get them on a flight from ZRH that will be much more convenient for them than flying from the other cities you listed.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by JPG3392
If you can get them on a flight from ZRH that will be much more convenient for them than flying from the other cities you listed.
They live in Lugano, so it is much closer for them to fly from Milan. However, they will have to connect from the other airports I listed, so might just be easier to fly direct from ZRH to NRT on LX. That would be my choice but I'm not the one who has to drive 2 hours back to Lugano from ZRH after a long flight from Japan.

Thanks everyone for the information! Very helpful and sounds easy to take care of on my end. This is a pre-wedding gift to my friends, so trying to come up with the best flights/airlines/seats so they enjoy their first time in biz class and to Japan
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:03 am

Does booking for a friend/relative still work?

I was wondering if booking MP points for a friend or relative is still allowed after the merger? If so, are there any precautions that I should take (upfront) to ensure a smooth process for the traveler(s)? Do I have to transfer the points to them first? Are there any additional fees now? Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You can just book for them. No issue, and they get your status for purposes of E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.