Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA sends a fill-in-the-blank apology letter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA sends a fill-in-the-blank apology letter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by giantreesemar
Survey says: 5,000 miles!

Well, I actually got an email that said "we will be adding 2,500 miles to your account" (but not stating that this was connected to the letter), and then my account reflects 2x 2,500 miles posting. Sound about right? I won't complain. Here I thought the comedy was enough value.
You mean after all that you received just miles? No specific item? They make themselves look like bozos over just 5000 miles?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
You mean after all that you received just miles? No specific item? They make themselves look like bozos over just 5000 miles?
Well the specific "item" may have been the 2,500 miles, or that fact that they either accidentally or on purpose deposited it twice to make 5,000...I still have no idea which is the case
Old Sep 16, 2012, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Survey says: 5,000 miles!

Well, I actually got an email that said "we will be adding 2,500 miles to your account" (but not stating that this was connected to the letter), and then my account reflects 2x 2,500 miles posting. Sound about right? I won't complain. Here I thought the comedy was enough value.
5000 miles?

geeez. COdbaUA is stingy!
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kb1992
5000 miles?

geeez. COdbaUA is stingy!
Not gonna lie, given how much this blew up I kind of expected more. I even got more for a delayed flight/forced downgrade recently, and that didn't even make the blogs/consumerist. That said, I don't want to be greedy!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - so we know that (SPECIFIC ITEM) is.

Do you mind telling us that what exactly the reason for that (SPECIFIC ITEM).

In other word, what has that (SPECIFIC DEPARTMENT) has done?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
I've made mistakes like this myself and would be terrifically mortified if someone posted it on flyertalk
This thread makes me laugh so much. I love the letter!

OK let's be realistic, these guys fly over a million passengers a day and probably 1% or more of them complain :-) I suspect they have a lot of letters to crank out. It's no excuse, but it's also not unheard of.

I once got a certified letter from Comcast (if I can find it I'll post it) after I cancelled service. It was in one of those "urgent" envelopes that looked really important, claiming that I still owed a balance on my account. And in print it listed my balance as "$.00".

I was tempted to send them a check for $0.00 :-) never got the time, though (moving and all).

Even better, I'd recommend mailing them a letter back (there's a return address, yes?)

Dear [AGENT NAME],
Thank you for taking the time to mail me [SPECIFIC ITEM]. I am really impressed with the attentiveness of [SPECIFIC AIRLINE].

I enjoy working with [SPECIFIC DEPARTMENT] and flying on [SPECIFIC PLANE] regularly. This will go a long way to addressing the issue with [SPECIFIC COMPLAINT] that I wrote you about originally.

To thank you for your efforts, I would like to recommend you increase your agent's salaries by [SPECIFIC AMOUNT] in the near future!

Sincerely,
[VALUED CUSTOMER]

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 17, 2012 at 9:04 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER.

Here I thought I had received 5,000 miles (2,500 x 2 posted), but 2,500 of those miles "mysteriously disappeared" today. It was not listed as a deduction of 2,500 miles, but rather one of the two credits disappeared without explanation. Thanks United!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL

Here I thought I had received 5,000 miles (2,500 x 2 posted), but 2,500 of those miles "mysteriously disappeared" today. It was not listed as a deduction of 2,500 miles, but rather one of the two credits disappeared without explanation. Thanks United!
They think you are over entitled......
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
If UA had a sense of humor, they would have given OP a pair of ballet tickets as (SPECIFIC ITEM).
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

Classy! I'd write back and tell them they can go stuff their [SPECIFIC ITEM] in [SPECIFIC LOCATION}!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Classy! I'd write back and tell them they can go stuff their [SPECIFIC ITEM] in [SPECIFIC LOCATION}!
Clearly they had their ^ up their [SPECIFIC LOCATION]
Perhaps they are now picking their seat.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

They pulled a Map Your Dreams on your [specific compensation].
Old Oct 3, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by exerda
Mail merge FAIL, UA.
Clearly, the mail merger is a failure.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:29 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I opened this today and laughed out loud:

This was the only thing in the envelope. I will really enjoy my (SPECIFIC ITEM).

EDIT: Thanks FlyinHawaiian!
I can't get over this! Bwahahaha! I had to post this on FB. Reminds me of "Mad Libs" - only it should have [VERB] or [PROPER NOUN]. I loved this!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:25 pm

United Airlines writes the most sentimental apology letters

Check out this reddit post. Lots of comments.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comment...t_sentimental/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.