Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LatinAmericaFlyer
The KLM lounge looks pretty nice, but you're better off staying in the terminal than going to the *A Lounge in AMS.
Too bad SQ closed their lounge. While it wasn't the greatest, it was still miles ahead of Servisair.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:17 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
The only lounge I find convenient at Schiphol (especially for long-haul non-Schengen) is the Privium ClubLounge.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), you have to also be a Privium member. I find the location super convenient (especially for KLM/Delta peeps, as it's right by "Departures 2 check-in"); and the private immigration drops you by D-gates (and is zero-wait, so just a few seconds to pass through).

Another "big plus," is that kids/families are NOT allowed in the lounge (they will allow "well-behaved" 12+ children, with membership or a one time fee). Lounge also has a nice food&beverage arrangement, and an on-site "chef" with a few tasty treats (hot canapés etc.) throughout the day, and usually a hot breakfast selection (or two).

LINK (video)

LINK
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Despite all of the warnings from FT gurus, I did try out the Servisair lounge at AMS last month.

It is crowded, mainly because one-third of the space is blocked off for the exclusive use of SQ pax. That part of the lounge looked no different, but it was calm. Perhaps they were hiding some Dom in it that I couldn't observe.

This lounge is definitely better than a United Club, although I'll grant that it falls short of the LH Senator lounge, or even the AC Maple Leaf Lounge (except for YYC, but that's another story).

It was perfectly fine to have a light breakfast before my flight to ORD. It's not near the departure gate, but it's only about a 10 minute walk. I did not ask about showers, but they are available for a fee. Better to use one of the hotels that has a deal with UA for a shower, if you can.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Very little information on Star Alliance lounges at AMS.
Looks now like you use the Aspire lounge...anyone ever try it? Reviews?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Check the thread under Star Alliance. I posted a few comments on there three weeks ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...erdam-ams.html
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bsdstone
I tried to use it yesterday. The line was out the door (maybe a dozen people), and they actually came back and said the lounge was full and they couldn't guarantee a seat. For anyone using Priority Pass they basically recommended they go away and come back later.

I gave up and went to the KLM lounge instead (I was flying KLM - not UA)
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
Was there on Saturday. Pretty crowded, a few pastries and hot food options, decent liquor selection. Long wait to get in and they were turning away priority pass users, but it was an ok place to spend an hour before my flight to ORD. Wouldn't go out of my way.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I've used the Aspire lounge (non-Schengen) when flying UA out of AMS back TATL, using Priority Pass. Crowded in the mornings, as noted, but had a decent breakfast. Also, a bit of a walk to the gates that UA normally uses.

AMS lounges leave a bit to be desired. For such a large international airport, you'd expect better. By the way, if you are transferring to the Thalys high speed train, there is also a lounge for rail travelers. Interesting, though a little skimpy with the food and beverage.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
This would just be my wife flying home solo in the morning...was thinking it might be a nice respite for her, but sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This would just be my wife flying home solo in the morning...was thinking it might be a nice respite for her, but sounds like more of a hassle than it's worth!
It really is... unfortunately. If you're lucky and your flight leaves from the D gates (rare but possible), then it might be worth going in. If your flight leaved from the normal G gates I would not bother, and rather hang out near Starbucks for half an hour or so.

Edited to add. If you're traveling with someone who is into make-up, the MAC store at AMS airport is very good value. It is right next to the Aspire lounge. As they have the normal MAC prices minus the VAT. Making it one of the cheapest places to buy MAC make-up in Europe. According to my girlfriend that is. So in that case it might be worst going to the lounge area.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was there in May flying AMS/IAH. The lounge wasn't memorable but it was really not convenient for a United flight. Between that at AMS and the removal of the moving sidewalks at IAH, I easily hit the 10k steps for the day. I would skip it next time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Muckus
Singapore has a very nice lounge at AMS that takes *G members.
Does that still exist? I don't see it listed in the loungebuddy app.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Does that still exist? I don't see it listed in the loungebuddy app.
SQ lounge is now incorporated into the contract lounge. They rope off a "special" section.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
it was really not convenient for a United flight
+1
I've always found the lounges at AMS to be super inconveniently located and definitely not worth fighting the heavy crowds in the too-narrow passenger concourses.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Lounge at AMS?

Do United business class travelers have access to a lounge in Amsterdam? If so, which one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.