Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Consolidated connection time/logistics at AMS
Amsterdam (AMS) Lounge - Star Alliance
The Star Alliance Lounge at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, the latest addition to the Star Alliance lounge line up, located in the Schengen area, offers a contemporary design with uniquely Dutch details where guests are invited to sit back and relax or make use of the sophisticated workspaces.
The serviced bar offers offers guests a wide range of drinks and refreshments in the afternoons and evenings, while the kitchen and buffet offer a range of hot and cold meal options with a local twist..
Non-schengen lounge
Swissport’s Aspire 41 lounge (contracted lounge -- used by UA)
Opening hours: DAILY 06:00-23:00

Other options
Print Wikipost

AMS lounge options for the UA traveler, *A Schengen; Aspire, non-Schengen + Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:34 am
smn

Was there 2 days ago. It is in fact 41. It's about a 10-15 min walk from the lounge to the UA gates. I stopped in for a quick breakfast as I wasn't sure if my UG would clear (it did as soon as I walked out of the lounge).

When I walked it, it was just a few croissants, slices of cheese, and cereal. However, as I walked out, they had just put out a pot of soup and meats and cheeses.

However, I did think the "liquor" wall was pretty cool. Here's a picture of it:
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smn
Was there 2 days ago. It is in fact 41. It's about a 10-15 min walk from the lounge to the UA gates. I stopped in for a quick breakfast as I wasn't sure if my UG would clear (it did as soon as I walked out of the lounge).

When I walked it, it was just a few croissants, slices of cheese, and cereal. However, as I walked out, they had just put out a pot of soup and meats and cheeses.

However, I did think the "liquor" wall was pretty cool. ...
I am planning to have breakfast inb this lounge rather than pay for an overpriced buffet at the Hilton hotel. The breakfast options don't sound so bad (better than a United Club in the US). Why does everyone else have such negative reports on this lounge?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
I am planning to have breakfast inb this lounge rather than pay for an overpriced buffet at the Hilton hotel. The breakfast options don't sound so bad (better than a United Club in the US). Why does everyone else have such negative reports on this lounge?
At AMS, I would get a quiche at Boulangerie Paul. The lounge is out of the way and completely unimpressive.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
At AMS, I would get a quiche at Boulangerie Paul. The lounge is out of the way and completely unimpressive.
Thanks for the tip. I don't eat eat quiche, and it's got nothing to do with my being a real man.

Cereal, croissants and tea will be just fine for me. I can't believe that this lounge is less impressive than the United Club at PHL, for example. Guess I'm curious to see for myself.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Gold
The breakfast options don't sound so bad (better than a United Club in the US). Why does everyone else have such negative reports on this lounge?
I suppose when you put it that way it's marginally better. I would suspect most of our viewpoints are comparing against other major city European lounges (primarily LH group offerings comes to mind) which seem to offer a lot better quality and quantity.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Why does everyone else have such negative reports on this lounge?
While it's OK compared to United Clubs, it is otherwise among the worst international lounges I've experienced as a *G. Crowded with poor seating, poor food, no newspapers. It's also hard to find and inconvenient. And nowhere near the gates UA uses nor on the way between the logical immigration entrance and the UA gates.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by seacarl
While it's OK compared to United Clubs, it is otherwise among the worst international lounges I've experienced as a *G. Crowded with poor seating, poor food, no newspapers. It's also hard to find and inconvenient. And nowhere near the gates UA uses nor on the way between the logical immigration entrance and the UA gates.
Totally. I wouldn't even bother. As others have commented, AMS has so many nice public spaces.

Sometimes the pursuit of lounge just makes no sense at all.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Totally. I wouldn't even bother. As others have commented, AMS has so many nice public spaces.

Sometimes the pursuit of lounge just makes no sense at all.
Completely agree - and while this lounge is bad - I think the one in MAN is far worse...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Ha, I flew AMS-IAH-ORD in July so I could take a ride on the 787 IAH-ORD. What was your motivation?

I went into whatever the lounge was last year. Nothing great, but it was fine. Then again, I have low expectations and am pretty low maintenance.
R space was the key, and at booking it was R0 on AMS-ORD with plenty in both AMS-IAH and IAH-ORD (with the IAH-ORD segment being instant as I was on a Y fare.)

I was also in no rush to get back to ORD and figured might as well get the extra 2k PQM, cause who's ever in a rush to be back in Chicago in late November...
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:19 pm

servisair lounge at ams

Looks like the regular *A Servisair lounge at ams has shower facilities, but they might cost extra? Since this lounge serves a huge range of customers, I wasn't sure if the shower costs apply to everyone... any folks know how showers work there for a *A Gold?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I've never been offered a shower there on check-in, and the way that they have things set up, I'd be extremely surprised if *G got you any special treatment. Those Servisair lounges are pretty much multi-airline mosh pits. Was last connecting through there in July, and every indication was that anyone who wanted to use one had to pay. (Honestly, the lounge itself isn't that great, and Schiphol in general isn't a bad airport to just hang out in...)

That said, if AMS is your destination and you're in J or F, there is an official Arrivals arrangement with the Mercure and Sheraton hotels. You basically get 2 hours in a hotel room to shower and freshen up. You can check in with the concierge/agent in the lounge prior to departure, and they'll give you the details. (*G won't work for that, though!)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Darlox
That said, if AMS is your destination and you're in J or F, there is an official Arrivals arrangement with the Mercure and Sheraton hotels. You basically get 2 hours in a hotel room to shower and freshen up. You can check in with the concierge/agent in the lounge prior to departure, and they'll give you the details. (*G won't work for that, though!)
The arrivals shower facility at the Sheraton is in their fitness center. It's landside, so you would have to exit customs/immigration. The Mercure facility is airside. More info here: BusinessFirst Arrivals in Europe
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
The arrivals shower facility at the Sheraton is in their fitness center. It's landside, so you would have to exit customs/immigration.[/URL]
Ah... wacky. I've never used that one. If it's like the one that they used to have the deal with in Munich, it's not even worth it. Live with being grimy until you can get to your hotel for real!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
This lounge is in competition with domestic United Clubs for quality. It's both disappointing and pretty far away from the gates.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat Amb
The KLM lounge looks pretty nice, but you're better off staying in the terminal than going to the *A Lounge in AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.